-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rocky, most kids dunno what FAC means. They would also be puzzled about how one is so trained.

FAC - Frequently Acting Courageous
Training Curriculum - Awake @ 4, flying by 6, debrief by 4, drunk by 8

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Whatever Boyington was, he had 6 kills in a year under Chenault, and in the 3 months leading the Black Sheep raised his kills to 28 with the group accounting for some 200. Not to mention being awarded the Medal of Honor. He was also a big part in changing air tactics in the early part of the war.

Phil

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Today, the very best are probably Israelis. We're probably second, and it pains me to say it but we may be falling back even farther. Our military has been seriously degraded by the "woke and inclusive" element of government.

Without a doubt. They don't have the luxury of being stylish. That is why there are no females in their fighters. As to the Japs, certainly a valid point of view, especially their Naval Aviators at the onset of the war, but the Luftwaffe was pretty hard core as well.

https://www.jns.org/israeli-air-force-welcomes-fifth-ever-female-fighter-pilot/

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
For you Pappy fans. My"twilight tour" I was the "Dean Wormer" of Naval Aviation in Pensacola. I had access to the records and yes we had everybody who's ever been a Naval Aviator. Here's Pappy's picture when he reported as a Cadet. Bad ass or what?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Greyghost
Whatever Boyington was, he had 6 kills in a year under Chenault, and in the 3 months leading the Black Sheep raised his kills to 28 with the group accounting for some 200. Not to mention being awarded the Medal of Honor. He was also a big part in changing air tactics in the early part of the war.

Phil

Originally Posted by STRSWilson
Today, the very best are probably Israelis. We're probably second, and it pains me to say it but we may be falling back even farther. Our military has been seriously degraded by the "woke and inclusive" element of government.

Without a doubt. They don't have the luxury of being stylish. That is why there are no females in their fighters. As to the Japs, certainly a valid point of view, especially their Naval Aviators at the onset of the war, but the Luftwaffe was pretty hard core as well.

https://www.jns.org/israeli-air-force-welcomes-fifth-ever-female-fighter-pilot/

Yikes, a low number, but still... thanks for the correction. I knew they flew everything else, but when I was AD they weren't in fighters..

From the article: The newly minted IAF pilots include the first woman in nearly five years and the fifth woman ever to become a fighter pilot in Israel.

Last edited by jorgeI; 01/03/22.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Not I. My Fighter Pilot rating was for Ground Attack. Never got a single air-to-air lesson. (And never used the fighter rating, either. Went straight from fighter school to FAC school.)

I'm not talking air to air combat Rocky, I'm talking about Men flying with ball sacks big enough to use for parachutes, Although I do think you could have parked the USS Enterprise inside of Pappy's ball sack.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
For you Pappy fans. My"twilight tour" I was the "Dean Wormer" of Naval Aviation in Pensacola. I had access to the records and yes we had everybody who's ever been a Naval Aviator. Here's Pappy's picture when he reported as a Cadet. Bad ass or what?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

His look is perfect!

Here he is smilin'.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
The "best men" at anything tend to be highly motivated (or indoctrinated), and highly trained, so early in our participation in the Pacific war, Boyington was likely right.

They also need the right equipment at the time.

I'd put those poor bastards using old, slow torpedo planes to attack the Jap carriers at Midway right up there in the "best men". category. All were shot down, few lived through it, none turned away.

Last edited by las; 01/03/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Their entire Navy was very good at the start of the war. Their surface attacks were aggressive and well executed with their torpedo attacks being particularly devastating.

Fortunately they didn't keep up with technological advances, particularly radar, so within a year or two we had them outmatched. Also fortunately, their Naval officers considered anti-submarine warfare beneath them (pun intended), so once our piss poor early war torpedoes got fixed our subs just ravaged their shipping.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I'll disagree. The Israels are very good at what they do, defend their country at short range with solid command and control against a highly studied and understood threat. The average US "fighter" crew (and by that I include USN/USMC Attack aircrew) have a much wider range of skills across a much more diverse threat and are capable of dealing with a much wider range of situations planned and unplanned both with and without air dominance and command and control.

Despite the amount of "woke" training nearly equaling combat relevant training, the "kids" today putting on G-suits are pretty damn good.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Dan, for the youngsters among us, FAC stood for Forward Air Controller. We were not control tower scope dopes, as some assume. FACs controlled the air battle in Vietnam and nearby areas.

The mission was to find the enemy hiding in the jungle below, either by astute observation or by getting him to shoot at you by being a singularly inviting target in your slow and flimsy Cessna. Then, you call up fighters, bombers, artillery, attack helicopters, or even naval guns. Usually, that meant fighters. If there were good guys in a firefight below, the FAC talked to air support centers, every fighter above him, and the screaming ground guys - simultaneously - while being shot at, navigating, advising rescue choppers, and flying his own plane. Every fighter pass and every bomb drop had to be specifically okayed by the FAC, and if the fighter messed up, it was the FAC's fault. Every single thing a FAC said or did resulted in somebody living or dying, including himself.

It was performed mostly by new lieutenants in their first flying assignment. It has been called the most difficult, most demanding flying job ever created.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wild Weasels, Dustoff, and FAC's had great big giant brass balls.

While everyone else was trying not to get hit, these guys charged into the bullets.

RockyRaab - Did you only fly the Skymaster or did you get any seat time in the OV-10's.

Last edited by STRSWilson; 01/03/22.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Met him in South Texas 1978! My son has a signed color photo from him!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
I read Boyington's account, and I've read others accounts of the same episodes, and Boyington comes across as a self-serving [bleep] who should have (and WAS) thrown out of the AVG, and they even made him pay his own way back to the US after getting the boot out of the AVG. Chennault even told US authorities to draft Boyington back into the service as an infantryman, Pappy's" exploits:" were really unappreciated by the people who mattered, his fellow pilots of the AVG. He was a drunk and a nasty drunk at that. Not the hero as told by Boyington and TV shows.

Maybe so but,

My uncle Horace was a Marine in the Pacific who served under Boyington. He was an enlisted man and was always proud of the fact that he had been with Boyington in the war.

Although he didn't think much of the T.V. program,he did believe Boyington was a good Marine and a good combat leader.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My FAC time was all in the O-2 Oscar Douche.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I suppose the O-2 beat the hell out of farting around in an O-1 at 90 knots in indian country.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
I read Boyington's account, and I've read others accounts of the same episodes, and Boyington comes across as a self-serving [bleep] who should have (and WAS) thrown out of the AVG, and they even made him pay his own way back to the US after getting the boot out of the AVG. Chennault even told US authorities to draft Boyington back into the service as an infantryman, Pappy's" exploits:" were really unappreciated by the people who mattered, his fellow pilots of the AVG. He was a drunk and a nasty drunk at that. Not the hero as told by Boyington and TV shows.

Sometimes he was what we needed. The drunk part.. well it was live or die daily...

As to his arrogance, those that have never been at the top of the game sometimes mistake confidence as arrogance. If you know some about how the brain works you understand its almost a requirement as any doubt you loose or die. I see both sides very clearly

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I got drunk last night,
Got drunk the night before!
Sing Glory be to God
That there are no more of us,
For the four of us can drink it all alone!
Pass the beer to the rear of the squadron!

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I wonder what Papa would have thought of the veteran German ace pilots, they were good too.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I would think the Royal Air Force, specifically the boys driving the Hurricanes and Spitfires up against the 109s during the Battle of Britain, would take issue with Colonel Boyington's statement.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

83 members (Amos63, Bigd7378, 7mm_Loco, AnthonyB, 9 invisible), 1,507 guests, and 852 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,083
Posts18,501,668
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.