Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I had a major scare yesterday. Model 7 in .243 that my daughter and I have shot a couple hundred rounds through, both on the bench and hunting. She was preparing to shoot a large doe and when she flipped the safety off, the gun fired, scaring the CRAP out of both of us. I'm positive she did not have her finger on the trigger as I was actually watching her as she was pushing the safety off.

Everyone has heard of the Remington recalls and lawsuits, but honestly I never paid much attention to them. This gun was bought second hand and the trigger was lightened by my local smith several years ago. It has the old style Walker trigger and was set to just under 3 lbs.

Any thoughts? Has this ever happened to anyone else here?

I'm leaning to just replace with a Triggertech or Timney and move on.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've never had it happen, but this is why I don't like selling a rifle to someone with a Walker trigger in it. I do know somebody that had the same thing happen to them.

Now with even more aplomb
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Walker trigger needs to go. Just not worth the risk, especially with kids involved. (Glad everyone is OK.)

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
1st thing I've always done with Remington bolt action rifles is to change the trigger to a Timney

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you don't trust something or someone, replacement with something or someone that you do trust and that gives you peace of mind seems like the prudent thing to do.

Bearrr264 never hunted with anyone who insisted on using a rifle with an exposed hammer or DSTs, as he didn't trust them to be sufficiently safe, even in the hands of an "experienced shooter".

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Never had an issue with my model 7 trigger, not to say that it could not happen but it has not so far.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would order a Trigger Tech even if you didn’t have problems.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Your gunsmith did a poor job of setting the trigger.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just my 2 cents, the Trigger Tech is a better fit on a model Seven than a timney.

I have both and the trigger Tech was a drop in, the timney required stock modifications to fit. I do slightly prefer the trigger shoe on the timney however.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Swap it out with a Timney or TriggerTech. I had a Remington I sent to LRI for a rebarrel and truing years ago (circa 2013). I asked Chad Dixon to tune the Walker trigger while there. Chad told me he won't even touch Walker triggers and that his first recommendation would be to replace it with what he had on the shelf. That opened my eyes right there...

IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by woodson
I would order a Trigger Tech even if you didn’t have problems.

Exactly what I would do, and don’t shoot the gun until you get the new trigger.

NRA Patron
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Had similar thing happen on a model 700 manufactured in the mid 70s. Closed the bolt on an empty chamber and the gun went click. That was enough for me, swapped in a Timney.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Once unloaded and safe can you repeat it???

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Once was enough for me.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
It has never happened to me but this is a subject that keeps coming up. Several years ago I had both of my Walker triggers replaced with Trigger Tech triggers and I've been very pleased with them.
I'm very glad to hear nobody was hurt.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You've just convinced me that my reworked western 7mm RM needs to go in for a Trigger Tech. I know that my 700 has the Walker and it was professional adjusted, but I can't in all good conscience trust it 100%. Once upon a time I "fixed" a 700 6mm to too light and it dry fired when I pushed the safety off. I adjusted it back heavy again, never put another live round into it and sold it . Those adjusting screws are just too accessible on that Walker for anyone with a screw driver.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by country_20boy
I had a major scare yesterday. Model 7 in .243 that my daughter and I have shot a couple hundred rounds through, both on the bench and hunting. She was preparing to shoot a large doe and when she flipped the safety off, the gun fired, scaring the CRAP out of both of us. I'm positive she did not have her finger on the trigger as I was actually watching her as she was pushing the safety off.

Everyone has heard of the Remington recalls and lawsuits, but honestly I never paid much attention to them. This gun was bought second hand and the trigger was lightened by my local smith several years ago. It has the old style Walker trigger and was set to just under 3 lbs.

Any thoughts? Has this ever happened to anyone else here?

I'm leaning to just replace with a Triggertech or Timney and move on.

Just curious. Have you ever flushed your trigger assembly out after hunting season?
Also sounds like your local gunsmith might have not adjusted it correctly or didn’t reseal the screws.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Happened to me about 25 years ago, javelina hunt with a 700 SA. Gun was clean, Neil Jones had done the trigger.

Took the safety off, went bang. Guide turned around and gave me a look I’ll never forget.

The Walker trigger problem was not as well known at the time, no one believed I hadn’t touched the trigger. Hell I was doubting myself until I read up on it. Never happened again. Couldn’t duplicate it.

Still have the gun, should probably get it replaced.

"My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income."

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Glad no one was hurt! Replace the trigger as others have said...

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If it's in the wood stock and the stock swelled due to moisture then it could have trigger it, same thing happened with my 700, took it apart and noticed pressure dents from the trigger in the stock, sanded off some of the wood with Dremel tool and then was ok. I encountered this on one other wood stock, the stock was very tight fitting around the trigger. Just one of the possibilities.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

94 members (35, 808outdoors, B52RadarNav, ar33c9, 10Glocks, 308ld, 8 invisible), 1,228 guests, and 762 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,692
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.