Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
I haven't picked the thing up in 3 years. But I'm running low on firewood,..and it's getting cold. So I decided to split up those logs I've got from the last black walnut tree I cut down.

I've got enough to heat the house for 2 days. But I'll probably be too gimped up to build a fire tomorrow.

2 Aleve per half a rick of firewood seems to be the magic formula. We'll see if it holds true for tomorrow morning.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I love splitting wood and normally cut, skid, block, split and pile about 10 cords a year for entertainment. I don't own a wood stove but sell it for beer and hooker money. I get to cut trees for new shooting lanes, plant some new kinds and keep from getting fat. The snow is already up to my knees here so I likely won't get as much put up this winter. The colder the better for splitting wood. At -20 most blocks you don't even need to stand up, just one good crack and they bust right open.

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Splitting mauls warm you up twice, once when using them and then again when you are standing by the fire

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Bristoe
I haven't picked the thing up in 3 years. But I'm running low on firewood,..and it's getting cold. So I decided to split up those logs I've got from the last black walnut tree I cut down.

I've got enough to heat the house for 2 days. But I'll probably be too gimped up to build a fire tomorrow.

2 Aleve per half a rick of firewood seems to be the magic formula. We'll see if it holds true for tomorrow morning.

Wondering how much firewood you could have bought with the money you could have sold that tree for.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Get a six pound fire axe. Easier than a maul! Then wedge and short handled 8# sledge! Been using that combo for fifty years. Splitting mostly fir and pine. But some oak and madrone! Mauls work you to hard.

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I always thought that a heavy axe worked better than a maul for splitting straight grained wood. Gnarly stuff is better done with hydraulics.

And this is for people who think their walnut tree is valuable:

Jerry

Minnesota; Land of 10,000 Taxes
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Fucque all that. I make an elevated V to drop the wood onto and I use the Husky 28" saw to split wood. I can stand and saw at waist level no strain no pain.

LOL
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by Bristoe

Wondering how much firewood you could have bought with the money you could have sold that tree for.

Black walnut trees are common as dirt around here. The road I live on is lined with them. I've got a big one right off the front door to my house. It dropped about a ton of walnuts this year. They're a nuisance to clean up.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Walnut does not heat worth a crap compared to oak, hickory, and ash

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd run down to Home Depot and get a $300 electric log splitter.

says ts will split 20" logs that are 10" diameter.

Last edited by KFWA; 01/03/22.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
IC B3

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by pullit
Walnut does not heat worth a crap compared to oak, hickory, and ash

I've got some oak that needs to come down too. I took three of them down back in the early spring. It's already gone up the chimney.

I also took down a big pine a while ago. I'm mixing the pine in with the walnut to keep it hot.

There's a big walnut stump in the ground that was here when I moved in. It started out about 4' tall and 50 inches across. I'm guessing g that it was cut about 10 years ago,...big burl of walnut.

I know that walnut isn't considered a particularly hard wood, but a big, burl walnut stump that got a decade's worth of seasoning on it will go hard on a chainsaw. A sharp chain will just pull dust off of it. It's like sawing concrete,...burns a long time, too.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Fucque all that. I make an elevated V to drop the wood onto and I use the Husky 28" saw to split wood. I can stand and saw at waist level no strain no pain.

Sawing length way through block, that's how guys with man buns split wood ! Nice pile of shavings to get rid of been there done that, no thanks. Probably too much soup and not enough beans in your diet! Bacon doesn't count.😁

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B

I bought a boom to go on my old 8N. When I cut a tree, I use the boom to lift it off the ground then saw it off a piece at a time like it's a roll of bologna. It saves a lot of trouble from getting the saw bar pinched from trying to cut it while it's laying on the ground.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Heym06

Sawing length way through block, that's how guys with man buns split wood ! Nice pile of shavings to get rid of been there done that, no thanks. Probably too much soup and not enough beans in your diet! Bacon doesn't count.😁

Save the energy for satisfying the woman. LOL

LOL
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
You might need a longer bar on that husky!

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by KFWA

I’d hate to have to rassle these up onto a splitter, 14” long rounds of green red oak this size probably weigh 150# or more each. I try to cut a couple big trees like this one every winter and bust them up and stack them out. They’re burning nicely in the stove as we speak about a year later. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I enjoy cutting and splitting wood. 8lb maul is my tool of choice. Good exercise and satisfying work.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
No picture, I screwed a tire on the splitting stump at the cabin, it saves a lot of bending to pick up the splits.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I feel your pain, but from digging up a sewer line. I'd rather split wood.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Buy a Fiskars Splitting Axe! Been splitting wood off and on all my life. Bought one of these and will never use anything else!

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by TheKid
Originally Posted by KFWA

I’d hate to have to rassle these up onto a splitter, 14” long rounds of green red oak this size probably weigh 150# or more each. I try to cut a couple big trees like this one every winter and bust them up and stack them out. They’re burning nicely in the stove as we speak about a year later. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I enjoy cutting and splitting wood. 8lb maul is my tool of choice. Good exercise and satisfying work.

thats for sure. i lost about 15 big white and red oak to gypsy moths about 15 years ago and have been burning them ever since. some of the rounds are 30+ inches across. ended up with a hernia just moving them fuggers to split them vertically. learned my abdominal muscles ain't as strong as my arms and legs. but then my boys grew up so now i have a lot of help when i can wrangle them. red and white oak are the best i have found around here for firewood.

My diploma is a DD214
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

194 members (160user, 280shooter, 1OntarioJim, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 2500HD, 20 invisible), 1,725 guests, and 976 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,372
Posts18,488,343
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.