Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
This aint good...
Deer Disease Spreading in Western Pennsylvania
John Vogel jvogelfarmprogress.com
September 11, 2007

Early this week, Pennsylvania Game Commission officials confirmed the deaths of several hundred deer in four western Pennsylvania counties. Dr. Walter Cottrell, PGC's wildlife veterinarian, says test results confirm that Epizootic Hemorrhagic Disease is the likely cause.

So far, the deer losses have been confined to Allegheny, Beaver, Greene and Washington counties. But EHD deaths are also occurring in numerous other states, including Kentucky, Tennessee, Indiana, Virginia and West Virginia.

EHD is contracted from "biting midges." In northern states, it usually kills the animal within 5 to 10 days. While it's not infectious to humans, deer displaying severe symptoms � excessive drooling, weakness and lack of fear of humans, they usually aren't suitable for consumption, says Cottrell.

"Hunters need to know that EHD cannot be contracted by humans," assures Cottrell. "It's also extremely rare, and highly unlikely, for this virus to cause clinical signs in cattle, sheep or goats." He also stresses that while some EHD symptoms are similar to those of chronic wasting disease, there's no relationship between EHD and CWD.

EHD can be amplified by anything that serves to congregate deer, such as supplemental feeding, he adds. "Such activities should be discontinued immediately."

While there's no evidence that humans can acquire the disease by field-dressing a deer, hunters are encouraged to wear rubber or latex gloves when handling or field-dressing an animal.

Quickly report deer losses

Tissue samples must be extracted within 24 hours of death for testing. That's why Cottrell urges reporting of losses to game offices as soon as possible.

The good news is that the EHD outbreak should end with the onset of colder weather, suggests Cottrell. For more information and updates, visit the agency's Web site: www.pgc.state.pa.us.

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I haven't heard about it in PA, but I know western KY is getting it. Blue tongue seems to go with drought conditions. We had a local drought back in '02 and they were talking blue tongue a couple of counties over. It will probably subside after it gets colder, and then we may or may not hear about it next summer.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
There are some that would say they got what they deserve after running that guy off that was in charge of their Dept of Natural Resources (or whatever they call it there)...he had the audacity to suggest increased doe harvest and letting the little bucks grow...but nooooo....they would not hear of it.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
What the hell does that have to do with an insect has borne disease...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If it is insect borne then you all need a frost pretty quick.

BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
That what they are saying,1st frost and the problem will be solved.Heard that they have found over 1000 deer dead and today is 1st day of early doe season so we'll see how many more are found dead with hunters in the field...

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Overpopulations of deer and younger bucks breeding usually means a weak deer herd, more susceptible to disease such as this when exposed.

Granted I don't know the whole story but managing more deer than the land should have is always a bad thing.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Was glassing a couple doe this afternoon and one turned to run and had a grotesque growth of some sort growing from its left shoulder area. Looked to have some blood on it and it was about the size of a 1/2 watermelon. YUK. Saw a bearded hen, maybe 8-9". Cock pheasant and a half rack 8pt.

Hope that PA. things gets some frost/freeze action tonight.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Yep, Blue Tounge....

Happened just down the road, over in Whythe County, when I lived in Virginia.

Was in a localized area, over populated with deer and along side I 77...lots of deer had been getting hit through that stretch of interstate for a long time. People were wreckin' and getting hurt.

Then came Blue Tounge around about bow season and no more deer got hit there, lots of news about it and hunters were advised to not eat a sick deer but those that appeared healthy were ok...

Even got stuff in the mail about it from the fish and game.

Then it came out there was a "poison" that's symptoms were an exact match to Blue Tounge.

Funny thing was all the talk about Blue Tounge stopped then...............

[Linked Image]
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
it's going on in southern il. as well

FJB
IC B3

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by rost495
Overpopulations of deer and younger bucks breeding usually means a weak deer herd, more susceptible to disease such as this when exposed.

Granted I don't know the whole story but managing more deer than the land should have is always a bad thing.

Damn it, Jeff, stop talking about QDM.... it won't work in PA....

Seriously, a good frost will do wonders. This stuff happens every major drought year when there is a weak herd around. Figure out what makes the herd week .... fix that .... then, keep praying for rain.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Was glassing a couple doe this afternoon and one turned to run and had a grotesque growth of some sort growing from its left shoulder area. Looked to have some blood on it and it was about the size of a 1/2 watermelon.

Probably a "wart" caused by a virus, not all that uncommon. No connection to EHD.

EHD has been a problem in the SW counties of PA for the past few years, but nothing like they've had this year. Hopefully they'll get an early frost down there and put an end to it for this year.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Disease is just 1 of nature's ways of dealing with over-population. When you take away the natural predators and hunters aren't able, or interested, in keeping any game population in balance, nature will do it for us. Look at how cholora wipes out millions of migratory birds on a regular basis.

It will run its course, taking the deer population down to a more balanced level before its done.

Jeff

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pretty much how such things work. It's also why states with CWD, either discourage or ban all feeding of deer and elk.

Large numbers of animals concentrated around feeding sites, generally are more susceptable to such diseases, than if they are left to fend for themselves.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
dube..,

There have been a few cases here in westbuhgawd in counties bordering PA. It was reported in a newspaper along with the problems in PA. There has also been several cases of CWD reported in the Slanesville area of Hampshire county which is just south of Maryland.

Too old to suffer fools
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
My wife has been seeing a lot of dead deer in Ky. and Southern W.Va.

A couple of weeks back there was a buck in the yard with ehd symptoms, she called the warden and he told her to get someone to shoot it. My son-in-law did and took a sample for the warden.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I haven't seen or heard of it in my area.

B
B
We've had one dead and there were a couple more on the river upstream about 3 weeks ago. I live in north central Nebraska and about 3 or 4 years ago we really got hammered. It was very dry and nobody shoots does so we lost everything of decent size and the season was a bust. It has been wet except for part of July so I thought we would be OK this year. Our Game and Parks calls everything found dead here an EHD death without inspecting it. I have been told that EHD and Blue Tongue are different diseases, is this true? When we test our buffalo for Blue Tongue anything that is over a year or two old has a very good chance of testing positive but will show no signs. We don't test for EHD.
Lance

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
IIRC, EHD showed up in parts of northern WV a few years before it became a problem in the SW counties of PA.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
dube..,

There are almost always a few cases each summer in one part of the state or the other. There hasn't been a widespread out break that I can ever recall.

Too old to suffer fools
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

634 members (160user, 16gage, 10gaugeman, 1234, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 71 invisible), 2,863 guests, and 1,358 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,065
Posts18,501,398
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.