-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I did not learn a bit of good from this..I would of walked out in the end and went home to tell the wife what I seen shocked

I work harder than a ugly stripper....

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by colorado bob
probably not a good idea to have a case of dynamite next to a wood stove-----just my opinion. smile

When I saw that case and the guy in the Elmer-Fudd-costume and the mysterious setup with pipes and the probably gas-filled chain saw in the background I thought it is a joke. You just can't beat the efficiency of a woodstove fueled with dynamite. But obviously the guy means it seriously.

Elmer Keith
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rem141r
couple of small fans blowing the heat from the pipe around makes more sense than all that.

that's what I do - I just have a fan on low on the floor angled at the stove and the pipe - seems to work well enough.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
Anyone remember Floyd R Turbo character played by Johnny Carson? This guy is him.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I put a dryer flex hose directly on top of my stove with an in-line fan in the hose to pump heat to a vent in the floor above.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I've wondered if anyone has built a house that had a wood stove on the first floor with a large open floor vent above it to the second floor.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KFWA
I've wondered if anyone has built a house that had a wood stove on the first floor with a large open floor vent above it to the second floor.

I've seen old houses here with big floor vents for that very reason. The old stone house grew up in had no heat in my bedroom above the kitchen other than a vent.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Like the stairway?......

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by SuperCub

I've seen old houses here with big floor vents for that very reason. The old stone house grew up in had no heat in my bedroom above the kitchen other than a vent.

In my past house we initially had our stove completely encased in sheet metal with a tapering duct that ran to a 12X12 floor vent[from basement to 1st floor]. The only part of the stove you saw was the door.
It worked well.

Later we diverted the duct to the air handler on the HP, added a washable filter, put a thermostat in about 2' above the stove[inside duct] that turned the fan to HP on when the set temp was reached.

Worked like a champ and distributed hot air fairly evenly to both floors above. During power outages I could pull a panel and revert back to the 12X12 floor vent

FJB & FJT
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
I am slowly coming to the opinion that a good many You tube vids are produced to make a few bucks rather than to inform or educate. This vid has done nothing to change my opinion, such as it is.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by huntsman22

Like the stairway?......

no I meant directly over the stove so heat rises straight into the second floor

I've also wondered if anyone ever coiled copper tubing around a stove or built a radiator type setup above a stove to warm water.

I watched a video this weekend of a guy that built a soaking tub out of cedar and had a portable propane water heater circulating to keep it warm.

I'm a big fan of homespun engineering that doesn't turn into a rube goldberg setup.

Last edited by KFWA; 01/05/22.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R

Like the stairway?......

Mine was basement to 1st floor at a exterior wall, the 1st floor room had a vaulted ceiling to two loft type bedrooms.[saltbox home].
Our basement temp rarely rose above 70

FJB & FJT
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If I need anything more efficient than our QuadraFire...................which right now has the house up to 74F and the last log is on for the day.....................

I'll build a Russian Stove

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffsb&q=russian+stove&ia=web

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
673 Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Like the stairway?......

I've also wondered if anyone ever coiled copper tubing around a stove or built a radiator type setup above a stove to warm water.

I watched a video this weekend of a guy that built a soaking tub out of cedar and had a portable propane water heater circulating to keep it warm.

I'm a big fan of homespun engineering that doesn't turn into a rube goldberg setup.

The best setup I have seen is the fellow that had about a 6ft tin funnel shaped heat catcher directly above his woodstove in the basement. He had ducts coming off this "device" heading off to the different rooms of the house, similar to any modern furnace. I have never seen another setup like it.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
The old gravity furnaces use a system like that.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by xarcher
Anyone remember Floyd R Turbo character played by Johnny Carson? This guy is him.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Like the stairway?......

I’ve seen a couple 2-story cabins when I lived in Fbx where the ceiling above the wood stove had a framed hole about 3’ x 3’ to allow heated air to rise easily.
A fan at the stairwell helped force the convection.

There also were outdoor hot tubs with a wood stove in it to heat it.

The “Snorkle stove” was invented by a UAF. physics student.
https://snorkel.com/hot-tub-info/snorkel-and-scuba-stoves.php

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My father was in high school in the 1930s when he had a job installing electric hot water tanks to replace wood stove water pipe coils.
It was part of the New Deal rural electrification money.

His high school history teacher threw him out of his house, as he could not trust a student working on his home.

When we built a super insulated solar home in 1982, my father designed the boiler.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Valsdad
If I need anything more efficient than our QuadraFire...................which right now has the house up to 74F and the last log is on for the day.....................

I'll build a Russian Stove

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffsb&q=russian+stove&ia=web

I was always if taught if you can’t say anything good, don’t say anything at all. Well I cannot say anything good about Quadrafire. Their product, their customer service or their dealers.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have an adjustable louver grate over the wood stove.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (12344mag, 1234, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 54 invisible), 2,236 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,764
Posts18,495,635
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.