Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Ask to do a video chat with the item in good outdoor light.

I don't want a pickle, I just wanna ride my motorcycle
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SRPI89
I was looking for a Kimber 84 select Grade. Because I’m a new member, I can’t send or receive DM’s, so I put my cell on. I received an offer in line with the price I was looking to pay- pictures were sent as requested. Clue #1 was he ended his description with “Theron”. He wanted to use Zelle, which I don’t have but my wife does. I was at a post funeral beer drink, and agreed to buy and had my wife send him the $. Clue #2 was his name and email did not contain “Theron”, but I was trusting. I’m an idiot, I know. Next day, he said he would ship and provide tracking. No tracking, no response and when I call, it’s a strange vm greeting. No strange wording or additional clues other than he was overly polite. First time I’ve been duped in probably 30 transactions on forums. Live and learn

Scammer info:
Name: Timothy Pitts - aka “Theron”
Email: biggen7193gmail.com
Phone: 530-430-7965

If you Google the name and email address, it shows him in AL- with all the tech out there now, I can’t guarantee that’s where he is or if it’s someone hacking unsuspecting email addresses

Get ahold of the Midland DA's office. They use to prosecute situations like this. I had them get my money back once when I had a bad deal with a seller. I took them my correspondence and they sent him a letter letting him know they would prosecute him unless he returned the money or sent the item. I had my money back in just a few days.

Good luck.

Jim

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have bought/sold on this sight with zero issues.I won’t send funds someone on here or other sites that doesn’t have hundreds of posts and has been a member for several years. Lots of good people around. Those that are newcomers, or have stuff at cheap price or lots of hard to find stuff (primers) are always suspicious, so why even take the chance.

NRA Patron
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Getting to the point where you need references. This is where posting your good experiences is a good idea.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Venmo? Zelle? Paypal F&F? Crypto-Whatzit?

Not with your dick. I can live without anything that’s only available via those payment options.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by HarleyHutch

Just did that this week for scope I sold. Buyer see's the wares in real time and we have a nice chat, making both parties comfortable with the deal.

Can't be too careful as these scammers are adept at photoshop and unfortunately you can't simply go by long term members with lots of posts as many accounts over the past few months have been hacked to perpetuate a fraud. Do diligence gentlemen.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ar15 has a buy sell automated feedback mechanism. After almost losing north of a grand on that christensen arms ecommerce fraud site. I did my research on Steve Walker owner of Colonial Armory. He had well over 200 feedbacks all 100%. So I purchased the Mesa off him. I am giving him a plug because he has awesome prices on his guns, FedEx them overnight. Got mine from him cheaper then anywhere else. And still FedEx overnight. Text 816-718-9489 for pricing and availabilty.. Steve will be more then glad to take your text or call and help you. He is a 10 year army veteran, and he is one of the good guys.

Last edited by j2dogs; 01/01/22.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by dale06
I have bought/sold on this sight with zero issues.I won’t send funds someone on here or other sites that doesn’t have hundreds of posts and has been a member for several years. Lots of good people around. Those that are newcomers, or have stuff at cheap price or lots of hard to find stuff (primers) are always suspicious, so why even take the chance.

This means nothing if the person's account has been hacked.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by 1badf350
Damn. This is why I never post WTB ads. Just about every time I end up getting scammer responses.

Yep....just asking for trouble

S
SRPI89 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Another one has contacted me- obvious scam. The pictures are from an auction site, I asked if the clip grinds when inserted, he says “no”. asked if the scope was a leupold CM-4, he says “yes”. How else should I mess with him?

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
There are scammer(s) operating on the Rimfire Central website, I have been contacted by individuals offering to connect me with guns I've been seeking. When contacted the pics appear to be pirated from other websites and payment cannot be made by other than Venmo/Zelle. So if you're considering posting a WTB on Rimfire Central, you've been warned, Caveat Emptore certainly applies there !

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
The phone number area code is Northern California (just north of Sacramento nis where it starts). The number could be spoofed as well. Sorry for your loss.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
This is the same guy about 3 weeks ago that tried to sell me a Kimber Adirondack. I put a WTB ad on the site and he responded. Many things weren't adding up. I asked for additional pictures and told him I wanted to pick up in person at an FFL of his choice. He tried to get me to send the money and he would ship it, but I told him I still wanted to pick up in person. After I told him he was running a scam, all communication stopped. This guy is a piece of s**t. I've had 3 scammers in the last 3 weeks, all regarding my
WTB ad. Got to be really careful right now. Sorry this happened to the OP. It's easy to get taken and overlook the obvious when you want something bad enough. I've almost fell for it myself. Be careful out there!!

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The fastest way to have a scammer contact you is to place a WTB ad.

NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SRPI89
Another one has contacted me- obvious scam. The pictures are from an auction site, I asked if the clip grinds when inserted, he says “no”. asked if the scope was a leupold CM-4, he says “yes”. How else should I mess with him?

If it's the "send a money order with tracking" then tell him youll take it and get the address he wants it sent to. Tell him you sent the funds, he'll ask for the tracking number. you say "didn't get tracking, just stuck it in an envelope, should be there in a few days". At least maybe the perp will waste a few days trying to intercept the envelope at the mailbox.

747 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Tell 'em Pappy! It's getting out of hand.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Money order with tracking isn't always a scammer. I recently bought from a fellow on here who requested just that, and said the mail sefice in his area was spotty. Having lived there myself and knowing it to be true, I indeed sent MO with tracking. Received my item a week later. It's a thing to keep an eye out for, but not always an immediate issue.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by HarleyHutch

But then I would have to put pants on.

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Don't feel alone. I have done piles of online deals and only been scammed twice (once here and once on MeWe). Both times I was in the middle of something else and just agreed to a deal without following my normal protocols. Both times I felt something was "off" but did it anyway because it was something I wanted and was in a hurry. Neither was big enough to change my life but certainly big enough to be irritating (about $300 on each deal).

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Sorry it happened.
It happened to me here about 2 years ago. Money was sent via USPS, they were no help and the police did nothing.
The folks here were able to find out that the pictures they used were taken from an ad on another website that were about 3 years old at the time.
I hate thieves.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 16penny, 56 invisible), 2,256 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,392
Posts18,488,767
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.