Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Soulfly Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
So I've been kicking around the idea of heated base layers for late season hunts. As a bow hunter I like the idea of staying warm without having several bulky layers on. And sometimes it's nice to have something to keep you warm for a couple hrs in the morning while waiting on it to warm up. I was looking at a few different brands including Action Heat, Milwaukee, and Ororo.

Does anyone have any feedback on any type of heated base layers or jackets etc......?

A lap dance is sooooo much better when the stripper is crying

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I have a 7V heated shirt from Voltheat. It works pretty good. I have the old batteries where you have manually turn them on but I think there are remote controlled ones now too.

I like it because I don't have to dress like the stay pufft marshmellow man for a cold sit. I just walk in, climb up and sit. When the cold starts soaking in I just fire up the heat. I also have some electric socks from Lenz and do the same for the feet.

I usually wear a t-shirt under the heated shirt and my insulation/shell over that. I change the T-shirt daily, but wash the heated sirt just once a season. A heated inner layer seems a lot more logical to me than a heated jacket to me.

Here is the one I have.

https://voltheat.com/collections/heated-mid-layers/products/tactical-7v-heated-base-layer

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Soulfly Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
How long would you say you get out of the batteries? I have heard estimates of 2-4 hours

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I have look at which batteries I have but I can get a morning or afternoon sit from a battery with plenty left over, probably 2-4 hours on a low setting. just guessing you could probably get 6 hours on low on the batteries I use. I have two of them, one for the morning sit and one for the afternoon. I do wear insulation appropriate for the weather, I use the heated shirt to ward off the chill that soaks in over time. I typically use it mid November to the end of December in upstate NY in temps from about 15F to 35F. If its any colder than 15F I am likely to sit inside and surf the web.

When its in the 30s I am likely to wear a t-shirt, the volt heated shirt, a 100wt fleece and a sitka fanatic lite jacket. If its below 30, the tee-shirt, volt heated shirt, and a sitka fanatic jacket. below 25ish I add a lite vest made from an old army field jacket liner with the arms cut off won under the fanatic jacket.

Of course I wear a neck gaiter and beanie as well. when its really cold I also put a handwarmer in the pocket to keep my hands warm.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I have the Milwaukee battery jacket, use it every time I head out.

No advice to offer on the base layers.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I need to get on the tech bandwagon.

-7 looking for coyotes Sunday.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Nice avatar

Soulfly Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by fester
Nice avatar

I do likes me some Soulfly lol

Soulfly Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by slumlord
I have the Milwaukee battery jacket, use it every time I head out.

No advice to offer on the base layers.

I like the Milwaukee stuff but it's expensive.....

Soulfly Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by noKnees
I have look at which batteries I have but I can get a morning or afternoon sit from a battery with plenty left over, probably 2-4 hours on a low setting. just guessing you could probably get 6 hours on low on the batteries I use. I have two of them, one for the morning sit and one for the afternoon. I do wear insulation appropriate for the weather, I use the heated shirt to ward off the chill that soaks in over time. I typically use it mid November to the end of December in upstate NY in temps from about 15F to 35F. If its any colder than 15F I am likely to sit inside and surf the web.

When its in the 30s I am likely to wear a t-shirt, the volt heated shirt, a 100wt fleece and a sitka fanatic lite jacket. If its below 30, the tee-shirt, volt heated shirt, and a sitka fanatic jacket. below 25ish I add a lite vest made from an old army field jacket liner with the arms cut off won under the fanatic jacket.

Of course I wear a neck gaiter and beanie as well. when its really cold I also put a handwarmer in the pocket to keep my hands warm.

I do like that they have 4 heating zones on both their 5v and 7v midlayers. I had not heard of Volt Heat but I'm gonna order one of the 5v shirts and try it out.

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
A buddy has an Ororo vest. He’s impressed with it enough that he refused to give it to me. Even when my whining turned to a snivel. 😉😂

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
Soulfly Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by m_stevenson
A buddy has an Ororo vest. He’s impressed with it enough that he refused to give it to me. Even when my whining turned to a snivel. 😉😂

I got my wife an Ororo fleece jacket for Christmas this year, we shall see how it goes. The heating zones seem a little small compared to the pictures they advertise but I guess that's the way it goes these days. She's excited for it as she works in the basement of the hospital running the MRI machine, they also have one in a semi trailer outside under an awning.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Speaking of base layers, I am going to put my 4.0’s on this morning. Windchills of -50…

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the link, I had never heard of voltheat. I clicked on their sale page and just ordered a vest marked down to $90 from $200 with free shipping. They only had mediums at the sale price so I hope it fits.

The never-ending flight
Of future days.
Paradise Lost. Book ii. Line 221
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have a Doace vest that works quite well under a coat. It's powered by a phone battery pack but for some reason, not all packs work. I have a 20mah pack that will run it for at least 6 hrs. I haven't tried it for longer times but the pack wasn't depleted. I tried my wife's 10mah pack and the vest won't turn on. I can't explain what the difference is.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I see Scheels has a battery powered base layer for sale.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
After reading some of the posts I ordered the volt vest. This is the first piece of electric base where I have had. It showed up quickly and I have worn it daily for the last several days just to test it. Short review, it seems really well-made and I wish I would’ve bought one years ago. It is warm by itself. When I wear it under my down parka it gets super warm really fast. As I am getting older I seem to get cold more easily. It really helps.

The never-ending flight
Of future days.
Paradise Lost. Book ii. Line 221

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

652 members (1beaver_shooter, 16gage, 160user, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 70 invisible), 3,009 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,622
Posts18,492,717
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.