Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
H
haazrob Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
What’s your load to get that velocity in your 7mag? How long is your barrel? I want a Mashburn, but if I could get that velocity in my 7mag, I would have to find a donor gun for a Mashburn.

GB1

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by haazrob
What’s your load to get that velocity in your 7mag? How long is your barrel? I want a Mashburn, but if I could get that velocity in my 7mag, I would have to find a donor gun for a Mashburn.

I use 7828SSC, 24" bbl.

Without looking at my notes the charge is either 66.0 or 68.0gr.

Rem brass, Fed215M.

Velocity measured by LabRadar

I may load the 180 Scenar over RL26 just because I can't leave well enough alone.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I read all of these and to be honest, I don't even know what it is. What the parent cartridge is or what advantage it has over the 7 rem mag.

Me

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by Teal
I read all of these and to be honest, I don't even know what it is. What the parent cartridge is or what advantage it has over the 7 rem mag.

More case capacity.

Equivalent to the 7mm Dakota or 7mm-300 Win Mag.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
Every freaking time you guys start one of these threads it makes me want to build.

The only thing holding me back is my 7mm Rem Mag stacks 160 Accubonds at 3100 fps.

It’s no big trick to get 3200 with the same, sometimes a bit more.

Bobs load with 75.5 of H1000 went 3200 and change from my original. Retumbo or similar will get a skosh more.

I’ve been on a 175 kick so that’s netted me around 3050-3100 pretty easily.

Oh, and I use RWS 300 Win cases to form up Mashburn cases. Same same as the 7-300 basically.

Last edited by beretzs; 01/04/22.

Semper Fi
IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft
Is this reamer still around? What a great connection.

(I understand that BobinNH has passed)

Back to this. We have a reamer that puts a 160 AB touching at 3.605 which works awesome for M70’s. Bob also has a Henricksen reamer that I’m not sure if the specs but could probably find for you. The best option is to get Kevin Weaver to use his reamer and throat it to the longest nosed bullet you wanna use.

I used a 175 ELD to touch at 3.575 so I can use the ELD types in the magazine and 175 PTs and similar will seat a bit shorter but still not be deep enough in the case to cause compression issues.

I originally ordered that reamer. Then Rick got it, then on to Bob. I couldn’t find it when I went to rebarrel my Mashburn. So I pouted and went with a straight longish throated Remington 7.

Last edited by pathfinder76; 01/04/22.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I’ve burned out the barrel on mine and will be rebarreling soon. Have a new reamer with a shorter throat than the one used on my first barrel. Mine has delivered speeds that are typically around 80-100 fps above my Rem mag. It’s a great cartridge if you don’t mind the fire forming or neck reaming to remove the donuts. Only need to do that once, thankfully!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by pathfinder76

Back to this. We have a reamer that puts a 160 AB touching at 3.605 which works awesome for M70’s. Bob also has a Henricksen reamer that I’m not sure if the specs but could probably find for you. The best option is to get Kevin Weaver to use his reamer and throat it to the longest nosed bullet you wanna use.

I used a 175 ELD to touch at 3.575 so I can use the ELD types in the magazine and 175 PTs and similar will seat a bit shorter but still not be deep enough in the case to cause compression issues.

I originally ordered that reamer. Then Rick got it, then on to Bob. I couldn’t find it when I went to rebarrel my Mashburn. So I pouted and went with a straight longish throated Remington 7.

We have it now buddy. Matt sent me a picture of it.

Do you have the specs on that reamer by chance? Can’t remember if Rick had sent them to me or not?

Semper Fi
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

Is this what y'all are talking about ?

The 7mm LRM from Gunwerks has Identical case capacity, based on a shortened 375 Ruger/300PRC

I'd just do a 28 Nosler and call it good, don't have to drive it hard to match velocity but you can always step on it when needed ... Also performs way better with bullets heavier than 180 gr

....[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Swamplord

Is this what y'all are talking about ?

The 7mm LRM from Gunwerks has Identical case capacity, based on a shortened 375 Ruger/300PRC

I'd just do a 28 Nosler and call it good, don't have to drive it hard to match velocity but you can always step on it when needed ... Also performs way better with bullets heavier than 180 gr

....[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

I agree, if you want easy then the 28 Nosler is definitely that. I got my first Mashburn before the 28 Nosler hit the streets and I have been too stubborn to change. You're right though, the 28 is good for another 100 FPS on the Mashburn, at least the few I have worked with.

Semper Fi
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

You're missing the point. Using a Mashburn has little or nothing to do with logic. It's about the history of the round and an emotional/romanticized attachment to it. I always gave Dober a hard time for this, but I do get it. About the only thing I can say is it's cheaper to buy 300WM brass and form it, than buy 280 Nosler brass... unless of course your time is only worth $1.10 per hour grin

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Brad

You're missing the point. Using a Mashburn has little or nothing to do with logic. It's about the history of the round and an emotional/romanticized attachment to it. I always gave Dober a hard time for this, but I do get it. About the only thing I can say is it's cheaper to buy 300WM brass and form it, than buy 280 Nosler brass... unless of course your time is only worth $1.10 per hour grin

Nailed it. I will tell anyone what I know, but if they really want the easy button, the 28 Nosler makes more sense.. I gave up on sense awhile back. Now I just do what I want grin

Semper Fi
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Naw man I get it,

I bought a bunch of Lapua & Peterson 300 Win Mag brass and cut it down & formed 350 Rem Mag brass out of it, seems nobody cares for it anymore but I'm still messing with it

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Dont know the reamer stories, but whatever reamer Nathan at Hillbilly rifles had is the one that got sent to Redneck for my 7 Masher.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Brad

Nailed it. I will tell anyone what I know, but if they really want the easy button, the 28 Nosler makes more sense.. I gave up on sense awhile back. Now I just do what I want grin

YA, Chuck Norris and Art Mashburn are both from Oklahoma! gotta be something to that ; ]............................................grin

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Naw man I get it,

I bought a bunch of Lapua & Peterson 300 Win Mag brass and cut it down & formed 350 Rem Mag brass out of it, seems nobody cares for it anymore but I'm still messing with it

Nope, same here, big fan of the 35's as well. No good reason for it, other than they work great for what I do.
Originally Posted by gunner500
Dont know the reamer stories, but whatever reamer Nathan at Hillbilly rifles had is the one that got sent to Redneck for my 7 Masher.

That is Matt Hoffman's reamer. Probably one of the best run it in the tube reamers out there that I know of. I used that one for my first Mashburn.

Semper Fi
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The write up about the MSM below that print is wrong, the MSM is not the longest of the versions Art Mashburn created. It's actually the shorter one of the two. The long one is basically an STW as it was made on full length H&H cases.
I have a copy of Matt's reamer that I will sell if anyone is interested.

Last edited by John55; 01/05/22.
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by pathfinder76

We have it now buddy. Matt sent me a picture of it.

Do you have the specs on that reamer by chance? Can’t remember if Rick had sent them to me or not?

I have it somewhere. I’ll see if I can dig it up.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
You sent me the print, which I have just now sent to Scotty. Gene Simillion has Keith Stegall's reamer, which is an original Mashburn spec. He and Page were buddies and Keith built more than one rifle for Page. It has a very short throat by today's standards.

Last edited by John55; 01/05/22.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Naw man I get it,

Nope, same here, big fan of the 35's as well. No good reason for it, other than they work great for what I do.
Originally Posted by gunner500

That is Matt Hoffman's reamer. Probably one of the best run it in the tube reamers out there that I know of. I used that one for my first Mashburn.

Thanks buddy B, it's a hell of a cartridge and build Redneck put together for me, iirc You and SKane got that reamer from Nathan to Redneck.

Trump Won!
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (1minute, 1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 01Foreman400, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 65 invisible), 2,498 guests, and 1,425 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,191
Posts18,484,958
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.