Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've often wondered why more manufacturers don't use a 3-position safety? I own guns that have a Remington style 2-position (Tikka, Ruger RAR, Weatherby) and others that have a 3 position (Ruger, Winchester, MRC). It always seems a little strange to have to turn a safety off to unload the gun.

HR IC

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I’ve had two questionable discharges from the same model seven trigger. A Walker trigger that was worked by a well known and reputable gunsmith. 10 years apart

The first was racking in another round after shooting a deer. Bolt closed on the new round and the gun fired. It was cold and I was wearing gloves so I chalked it up as user error

The second was the same rifle - sent it off for rebarrel and got it back from gunsmith. Bolt was packaged separately. Unpacked everything and put the bolt in rifle. Gun dry fired as soon as I closed the bolt

After that I switched all my Model Seven triggers to TriggerTech. I trashed the trigger in question

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm
Walker trigger needs to go. Just not worth the risk, especially with kids involved. (Glad everyone is OK.)

^^^^^ The Remington trigger is dangerous ^^^^^

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by dale06
Originally Posted by woodson
I would order a Trigger Tech even if you didn’t have problems.

Exactly what I would do, and don’t shoot the gun until you get the new trigger.

^^^^^ Excellent advice! ^^^^^

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Hello, Had the same thing happen with the model 7 in 7mm-08.. Remington had a recall on that rifle.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Same thing happened this year antelope hunting. I was standing next to a friend when he took the safety off his 700 and blew a huge hole in the dirt instead of the antelope. I am not a fan of most Remington products and the 700 is no exception. However, the 700 is only guilty of this crime because it used the cheapest materials to make a box-enclosed trigger. I detest box triggers for anything but bench shooting. I have had 2 700 fail because of the trigger and know of several more failures. The first thing asked about this year's Remington trigger debacle was, have you properly cleaned your trigger? Hunting in many cases is a dirty affair and your gun needs to be up to the task. That is the very reason the "mauser type" trigger used on early Ruger's, Winchesters, early Remingtons, mausers and the like is the only trigger military would use.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by gsganzer
It always seems a little strange to have to turn a safety off to unload the gun.
"strange", yeah - but "dangerous"? OH yeah....

Originally Posted by stuvwxyz
Same thing happened this year antelope hunting. I was standing next to a friend when he took the safety off his 700 and blew a huge hole in the dirt instead of the antelope. I am not a fan of most Remington products and the 700 is no exception. However, the 700 is only guilty of this crime because it used the cheapest materials to make a box-enclosed trigger. I detest box triggers for anything but bench shooting. I have had 2 700 fail because of the trigger and know of several more failures. The first thing asked about this year's Remington trigger debacle was, have you properly cleaned your trigger? Hunting in many cases is a dirty affair and your gun needs to be up to the task. That is the very reason the "mauser type" trigger used on early Ruger's, Winchesters, early Remingtons, mausers and the like is the only trigger military would use.
Good post sir... Kudos..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If your Rem trigger is dirty or neglected, clean it. If there is knowledge or other evidence of your trigger having been adjusted, replace it or have qualified smith adjust it. Takes a bit more grey matter between the ears to adjust it than a screw turner can manage. Got to understand how it works!

g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by country_20boy
I had a major scare yesterday. Model 7 in .243 that my daughter and I have shot a couple hundred rounds through, both on the bench and hunting. She was preparing to shoot a large doe and when she flipped the safety off, the gun fired, scaring the CRAP out of both of us. I'm positive she did not have her finger on the trigger as I was actually watching her as she was pushing the safety off.

Everyone has heard of the Remington recalls and lawsuits, but honestly I never paid much attention to them. This gun was bought second hand and the trigger was lightened by my local smith several years ago. It has the old style Walker trigger and was set to just under 3 lbs.

Any thoughts? Has this ever happened to anyone else here?

I'm leaning to just replace with a Triggertech or Timney and move on.

Every single Remington 700 and 7 (as well as many other models) ever made is recalled. Every one is unsafe. Numerous people have died. Timney makes a reasonable replacement.

The rifles in general are [bleep], but the trigger is the kernel of corn in the [bleep].

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Happened to me with my 700 7RM. Closed the bolt for a follow up shot and had a discharge. Has never happened since. I keep the trigger clean now, back then I really didn’t. Last time I shot it was 6 years ago I think.

Talking to you is like trying to nail jello to the wall.

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Is this something that only affects certain years or all model 7 triggers? Have a mid-90s .260 that I have recently started using again in preparation for my oldest sons entry into the center fire world. Trigger was adjusted at some point but my dad had it done and I doubt he remembers who he used.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Ccard257
Is this something that only affects certain years or all model 7 triggers?
Every Remington with the Walker or X-Mark Pro trigger.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Simple fix, replace the trigger. Triggertech or Jewell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a Remington 700 in 257 WM. X-Mark Pro trigger. Bought the 700 new, had the trigger worked buy a gunsmith...Hunted it for many years. Shot it from the bench often. NEVER, EVER had a problem with the trigger. Then, my 14 year old grandson took a shine to that rifle, he wanted to shoot it all the time. Well, just because, we ordered a Triggertech and Installed it together. At least I feel better when he's shooting it....

Last edited by 308ld; 01/05/22.

Ed
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A

Another misadjusted or dirty trigger, and Mike Walker gets the blame……..sigh.

The great thing about the Walker trigger is that it’s eminently adjustable and is installed on the most popular bolt actions sold on the continent.

The downfall of the Walker trigger is that it’s eminently adjustable and is installed on the most popular bolt actions sold on the continent……..

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Never had a problem with the original Walker trigger in my 700 adl that I bought and have used since 1970. 52 years guess I'm on borrowed time....mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
R
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
R
‘Ya know, if the rifle is pointed in a safe direction, as it always should be, the is no danger of injury to anyone. Of my 50 plus Walker triggers on 700’s and a lone model 7 I have never had a problem.
Send all those Walker triggers you are replacing to me!
Rick

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
2 men that I have worked with had their 700s fire flipping the safety off. Both triggers had been adjusted by someone that didn't know what they were doing. I have one I adjusted following instructions years ago. I can take the safetey off and pound the butt with a rubber mallet and it won't fire.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
it is a bit funny that for 50 years there were not stories ( or very few) of these trigger issues to a couple people filed a law suit. Now every Remington ever made is a death trap. Or is a matter that for most of those 50 years very few people fiddled with adjusting the trigger?

Last edited by hikerbum; 01/05/22.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Another misadjusted or dirty trigger, and Mike Walker gets the blame……..sigh.

The great thing about the Walker trigger is that it’s eminently adjustable and is installed on the most popular bolt actions sold on the continent.

The downfall of the Walker trigger is that it’s eminently adjustable and is installed on the most popular bolt actions sold on the continent……..

Mike Walker himself quite publicly said it was defective. Remington agrees. They also agree the X Mark Pro is faulty. Were Mike and Remington wrong?

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

523 members (16gage, 1Longbow, 22kHornet, 160user, 2500HD, 10ring1, 65 invisible), 2,506 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,741
Posts18,495,096
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.