MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Termin8r
Originally Posted by MAC
Originally Posted by 270cowboy
I think points are points not sure residency matters
But I have been wrong before

And you're wrong here. In CO residents and non-residents require different numbers of points because they limit the number of non-resident tags to a percentage of the available tags. If you ever look at the draw recaps on the DOW site it shows the required number of Res and Non-Res points for every unit. For instance I was a CO resident for 54 years before work took me to TX and I have 24 points for elk. I built them up for a Unit 2 either sex tag which is one of the hardest tags to get. 24 points will get the tag as a Res but as a Non-Res it will take 28 or 29 and most antelope tags will follow suit with the numbers depending on the unit.

Actually, 270cowboy is correct and YOU are the one wrong here. You better check your regulations.

Unlike Deer, Elk, Moose, Sheep and Mtn Goat...in CO the Antelope are one combined pool of tags for both resident and nonresident.

And last year the draw for Unit 87 Rifle tags was 53% with 4 points, 98% with 5 points and 100% with 6 points+
Last year the draw for Unit 88 filled 82% with 4 points and 100% with 5 points+

BS. Look at the recaps and it will show the points required for Res and Non Res and the points are different.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
GB1

T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by MAC
Originally Posted by MAC

And you're wrong here. In CO residents and non-residents require different numbers of points because they limit the number of non-resident tags to a percentage of the available tags. If you ever look at the draw recaps on the DOW site it shows the required number of Res and Non-Res points for every unit. For instance I was a CO resident for 54 years before work took me to TX and I have 24 points for elk. I built them up for a Unit 2 either sex tag which is one of the hardest tags to get. 24 points will get the tag as a Res but as a Non-Res it will take 28 or 29 and most antelope tags will follow suit with the numbers depending on the unit.

Actually, 270cowboy is correct and YOU are the one wrong here. You better check your regulations.

Unlike Deer, Elk, Moose, Sheep and Mtn Goat...in CO the Antelope are one combined pool of tags for both resident and nonresident.

And last year the draw for Unit 87 Rifle tags was 53% with 4 points, 98% with 5 points and 100% with 6 points+

BS. Look at the recaps and it will show the points required for Res and Non Res and the points are different.

What is shows is the highest points used by a NR and the highest points used by a Resident to get the tags.

But unlike the other animals there is only one drawing pool. There is no separate allotment of tags for NRs. Both NR and Residents are competing for the same pool of tags based on their points for Antelope and Black bear. They do not set aside a percentage of the tags for NRs. Everybody is in the same pool.

Call the CPW and get educated if you don't want to believe me or the GoHunt website

Current Colorado tag allocation:
Nonresidents are limited to up to 35% of the total number of tags per hunt code for deer and elk, unless that hunt code has taken six or more preference points to draw
If a hunt code has taken more than six preference points to draw, then the nonresident allocation will be limited to 20% of the total number of tags
Nonresidents are limited to 10% of the total number of sheep, moose and mountain goat tags
There is no nonresident limit on antelope

https://www.gohunt.com/read/news/co...aw-tag-allocation-at-one-third#gs.ksawse

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by MAC
Originally Posted by MAC

What is shows is the highest points used by a NR and the highest points used by a Resident to get the tags.

But unlike the other animals there is only one drawing pool. There is no separate allotment of tags for NRs. Both NR and Residents are competing for the same pool of tags based on their points for Antelope and Black bear. They do not set aside a percentage of the tags for NRs. Everybody is in the same pool.

Call the CPW and get educated if you don't want to believe me or the GoHunt website

Nonresidents are limited to up to 35% of the total number of tags per hunt code for deer and elk, unless that hunt code has taken six or more preference points to draw
If a hunt code has taken more than six preference points to draw, then the nonresident allocation will be limited to 20% of the total number of tags
Nonresidents are limited to 10% of the total number of sheep, moose and mountain goat tags

great info
Good luck on your draw

Last edited by 270cowboy; 01/04/22.
MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here is how last year's draw went for unit 87 for the rifle season from the Official CO Game Dept site:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

If you take a minute to look at it you will see that they issued 291 buck tags for Res adults and 22 buck tags for Non-Res adults. Of those tags 110 went to residents with 4 points but only 4 tags went to Non-residents with 4 points which means only 18% of the non-res tags went for the lowest points used to issue tags. 113 went to residents with 5 points and again only 4 went to non-res. Doing really simple math, 76% of the resident tags only took 5 point to draw but only 36% of the non-res tags took 5 points. The cold hard fact of the matter is that it takes a Non-Res 8 points to get to the same 76% chance at a tag that it takes residents with 5 points. This runs consistent with all deer/elk/pronghorn/bear tags. You can bet, barring a lot of luck, that it will take a non-res to use between 3 and 5 more points than a resident. It is just the way it is.

For an either sex elk tag for unit 2 a resident 22 points will get the tag but a non-resident has to have at least 29 and that was for the last season. There were 15 non-residents with 29 points that put in for the tag and all 5 non-resident tags went to folks with 29 points. That means the other 10 applicants will now have 30 points and if they apply next year that is what it will take to pull the tag and if they issue the same number only 5 of those with 30 points will draw and the remainder will then have 31 which is what it will take in 2 years so anybody this year with 28 points will need at least 3 more years before they can anticipate even being in the running for that tag. This is why point creep makes it very difficult if not impossible for many hunters to ever get some tags.

But hey, what the hell do I know? I was only a CO resident for more than 50 years and played the preference point game for decades. I'm sure a guy from MI knows much more than I do despite that the official stats by the state show. I would also suggest the OP from MI look at the percentages because if he does he will see that unit 87 only allowed 29% of the available tags to go to nonresidents which means that 71% went to residents including adult/youth/landowners. For the OP to even insinuate that non-residents will be in the running for the same number of tags as residents is not only wrong, it is foolish. Every western state has caps of some sort on the number of tags they issue to non-residents.

Last edited by MAC; 01/05/22. Reason: typo

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by MAC
Here is how last year's draw went for unit 87 for the rifle season from the Official CO Game Dept site:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

If you take a minute to look at it you will see that they issued 291 buck tags for Res adults and 22 buck tags for Non-Res adults. Of those tags 110 went to residents with 4 points but only 4 tags went to Non-residents with 4 points which means only 18% of the non-res tags went for the lowest points used to issue tags. 113 went to residents with 5 points and again only 4 went to non-res. Doing really simple math, 76% of the resident tags only took 5 point to draw but only 36% of the non-res tags took 5 points. The cold hard fact of the matter is that it takes a Non-Res 8 points to get to the same 76% chance at a tag that it takes residents with 5 points. This runs consistent with all deer/elk/pronghorn/bear tags. You can bet, barring a lot of luck, that it will take a non-res to use between 3 and 5 more points than a resident. It is just the way it is.

For an either sex elk tag for unit 2 a resident 22 points will get the tag but a non-resident has to have at least 29 and that was for the last season. There were 15 non-residents with 29 points that put in for the tag and all 5 non-resident tags went to folks with 29 points. That means the other 10 applicants will now have 30 points and if they apply next year that is what it will take to pull the tag and if they issue the same number only 5 of those with 30 points will draw and the remainder will then have 31 which is what it will take in 2 years so anybody this year with 28 points will need at least 3 more years before they can anticipate even being in the running for that tag. This is why point creep makes it very difficult if not impossible for many hunters to ever get some tags.

But hey, what the hell do I know? I was only a CO resident for more than 50 years and played the preference point game for decades. I'm sure a guy from MI knows much more than I do despite that the official stats by the state show. I would also suggest the OP from MI look at the percentages because if he does he will see that unit 87 only allowed 29% of the available tags to go to nonresidents which means that 71% went to residents including adult/youth/landowners. For the OP to even insinuate that non-residents will be in the running for the same number of tags as residents is not only wrong, it is foolish. Every western state has caps of some sort on the number of tags they issue to non-residents.

You might have lived there a long time but you obviously have not kept up with what is going on since you left.

Once again, that chart simply shows the highest number of points that were used by R and NR to get the tags....but unlike Elk & Deer, they are competing in the same tag pool. FOr elk and deer they show how many points it took in THEIR RESPECTIVE TAG POOLS...but for Antelope there is only ONE draw pool since there is no limit/cap/quote for NR tags for antelope.

Obviously somebody from Michigan that is educated about the draw as it is right now knows more about the CO Antelope draw than a dude that used to live in CO and is living in the past. I can lead a horse to water but I can't make him drink. Call the CPW and ask if you want to try and prove me wrong and you will accidently become educated on the topic of NF Pronghorn tag allotment in Colorado. I gave you the link but I can't make you read it. There is NO QUOTA for NR Antelope tags in CO so everybody is playing in the same pool based on their number of points...NR and R alike.

Good luck hunting!

Last edited by Termin8r; 01/06/22.
IC B2

T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by MAC
Originally Posted by MAC

great info
Good luck on your draw

Thanks. This is the most mis-understood thing about hunting in Colorado. Lots of people don't even know that the NR tag allotment goes down in units that need more than 6 points.
Few understand that their is ZERO restriction on NR for Antelope and that all the tags are fair game for everybody.

Good luck drawing and hunting to you as well

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There is NO QUOTA for NR Antelope tags in CO so everybody is playing in the same pool based on their number of points...NR and R alike.

BS. Then why did only 22 tags go to non-res? Why were there only 4 tags given to non-res with 4 points? Why didn't they all draw since 14 had 4 points and applied? There are a percentage of tags set aside for all non-res tags. Look at the stats I posted above and ask yourself why if there were not tags set aside for non-res then why didn't all the tags go to residents? Look at the 4, 5 and 6 point columns for both res and non-res. There were res hunters with points that did not draw and that is because they set tags aside for non-res hunters.

As to the link you put out, that was a bill that was postponed and was intended to cap non-res tags at 35%. Since it was postponed that means the original requirements are still in place which is about 20% for non-res and that is exactly what the stats above show. Are you really so clueless that you don't understand when a bill is postponed then that means the existing law is still in place? Non-res hunters get about 20% of the tags in CO and the rest go to res hunters and it has been that way for decades. If they did not set aside the 20% then a non-res would not draw a tag at all because there are plenty of res hunters with more points that would draw them.

You are simply too obtuse to grasp how this works and with that I am done with you.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (6mmbrfan, 257_X_50, 808outdoors, 2500HD, 7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, 9 invisible), 1,397 guests, and 807 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,505
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.