Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I pulled out a shotgun that was my Dad’s. It hasn’t been fired in a couple decades and the choke is seized. I’m pretty good at getting threads unstuck but I’ve never attempted it on anything that has a finished surface. Will a propane torch damage bluing? If so, any other ideas?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Start letting some Kroil seep into the space between the barrel and outside of the choke tube is where I would start.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Start letting some Kroil seep into the space between the barrel and outside of the choke tube is where I would start.

this and if won't come loose use a heat gun or hair dryer

C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Definitely on the kroil. That’s a no brainer. I’m taking the barrel into work tomorrow to make a tool. Full disclosure, I found the bag of chokes but the wrench wasn’t in it so I was using a dime. Proper tool might be all it takes. Of course, letting kroil do it’s thing takes a lot less effort.

Heat gun is a good idea. Not sure why I didn’t think of that. I get too stuck in the groove using a flame to unstick valve parts I guess.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've done few of these, the Kroil/solvent soak is helped by reversing a wad in the choke tube just below the muzzle end a filling the cup. Stand the barrel in a can and let it brew over night. A little heat the next day will usually get it out. Dump the liquid and remove the wad before lightly heating the barrel with the torch...

NRA Benefactor
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SOFMatchstaff
I've done few of these, the Kroil/solvent soak is helped by reversing a wad in the choke tube just below the muzzle end a filling the cup. Stand the barrel in a can and let it brew over night. A little heat the next day will usually get it out. Dump the liquid and remove the wad before lightly heating the barrel with the torch...

That's what I'd do and heat it with a heat gun, not a torch.

The only time that I've used a torch was to soften the thread locker that Remington used to glue their barrels to their actions.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Kroil soaks and afterwards lots of taps with a wooden handle, etc. Take your time and try to be patient.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Soaked in kroil all day. Nothing. Hit it with heat and broke loose. It’s amazing how well heat works.

Interesting finding…the choke had a longitudinal crack along the entire length.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
heat will do it every time

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Clintopher
Soaked in kroil all day. Nothing. Hit it with heat and broke loose. It’s amazing how well heat works.

Don't doubt what the Kroil in there helped, especially after you added the heat to help it a bit.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

We’re you shooting steel?

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wonder what would happen if you soaked one, then shot it.
Maybe over a few days.
A jar will often loosen things.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Bugger

We’re you shooting steel?
My question also... And what was the choke? Anything tighter than modified is never recommended..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Definitely on the kroil. That’s a no brainer. I’m taking the barrel into work tomorrow to make a tool. Full disclosure, I found the bag of chokes but the wrench wasn’t in it so I was using a dime. Proper tool might be all it takes. Of course, letting kroil do it’s thing takes a lot less effort.

Heat gun is a good idea. Not sure why I didn’t think of that. I get too stuck in the groove using a flame to unstick valve parts I guess.

What kind of shotgun is it and what kind of wrench do you need? What have you been using to try and get it out?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Can you remove the barrel? If so, snap some pictures of the choke tube end and send me a PM. If it has tube wrench slots, I will give you my address and you can ship it to me. I will try to remove it, I have been very successful at it with no damage to the barrel. I have a 100 Straight choke tube remover kit, I haven't found a tube yet that it would not remove, provided the owner or someone else hasn't boogered up the slots.

You pay shipping, I remove it for free and send it back to you with tracking. When you get it back, you can see the return shipping cost, you can reimburse me if you want.

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by HeavyLoad

What kind of shotgun is it and what kind of wrench do you need? What have you been using to try and get it out?

The
Originally Posted by Darryle
Can you remove the barrel? If so, snap some pictures of the choke tube end and send me a PM. If it has tube wrench slots, I will give you my address and you can ship it to me. I will try to remove it, I have been very successful at it with no damage to the barrel. I have a 100 Straight choke tube remover kit, I haven't found a tube yet that it would not remove, provided the owner or someone else hasn't boogered up the slots.

You pay shipping, I remove it for free and send it back to you with tracking. When you get it back, you can see the return shipping cost, you can reimburse me if you want.

Did you all read the dam thread?
We have moved on. He got it out, and found it spilt.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
"Did you all read the dam thread, We have moved on He got it out, and found it split" quote DB

Thanks, I been thinking that all day. geeebuss H C

NRA Benefactor
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes I read the damn thread. But obviously I missed the part where he got it out. Thanks for the notification.
My question about what gun and which choke tube wrench needed would have been nice in the original post.
Using the correct wrench should have been the first answer.

I just realized that you all so answered his post after he said he already got it out. So apparently you didn’t read the damn post either.

Last edited by HeavyLoad; 01/09/22.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I didn't.
It was posed as a question, if someone thought it was a good idea.

That said,
there have been times I've posted,
read a bit more, and then deleted the post. blush
Because I hadn't read the whole damn thread!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
You and me both.

Just had a near-miss with a choke myself. Browning A5 w/Brileys. I used an anti-sieze with metal in it instead of the blue goo I use on my ML plugs. Hadn’t checked it in a while, then when I went to pull it it was really tight. Got it out and the unthreaded part was covered in liquified rust-looking stuff. It’s never been wet, and there was nothing in the barrel so it had to be the goop. I carefully cleaned everything up and re-lubed with some Briley lube I recently bought, then carefully threw the metallic stuff away. The Briley lube appears to be identical to the Knight anti-sieze, a thick, dark blue goo, really sticky.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (1minute, 06hunter59, 1941USMC, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 59 invisible), 2,478 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,886
Posts18,518,273
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.