Hop To
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
It's a sad commentary on the times when Real Deal respected people...willing to share their expertise and experiences...get thrashed and harassed here. -Al

So true on the "harassed" part, but the only person LB is thrashing is himself.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
It's a sad commentary on the times when Real Deal respected people...willing to share their expertise and experiences...get thrashed and harassed here. -Al

So true on the "harassed" part, but the only person LB is thrashing is himself.

Self immolation seems to be a thing for a few on here, and LLbobby is a perfect example.

....I still wanna use pencil boolits in a 6.5x55 swede for elk........

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by HeavyLoad
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Y'all think maybe Bob Brown is now a Llama?

He was definitely a big mouth douche

Nah, Bobby Brown was at least a cool Frank Zappa song. LB is just a turd in the punch bowl.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by smallfry
The 7mm-08 is a very balanced cartridge when you pour over ballistic charts, whereas the 308 is a very balanced cartridge.

So well said, and absolutely mirrors my experience with both rounds.

Part of me just died inside…

grin

Pharm, I've always admired your dedication to the 7-08, and the good use you put it to! It "speaks" to you like the 308 does to me. Really, that's about all a guy needs to know about any cartridge. As Finn Aagaard said, "the 7-08 possibly makes the optimum use of the 308 case." And yet Finn was a 308 guy, not a 7-08 guy. I get and like the 7-08 on paper, I just prefer the un-fussiness of the 308.

See what I did there laugh

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Brad,

Just realized I am pretty much the same way. Have owned and hunted with at least three 7mm-08s, and though they (obviously) all worked great, they eventually disappeared--while using several .308s, including my favorite, acquired almost 20 years ago, a Merkel single-shot.

My last 7mm-08 "disappeared" by being rechambered to .284 Winchester--which I am certain doesn't have any real-world advantages, but was worth writing about.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Mule Deer

Enjoyed your article on the .284. I have one in the Winchester Mod. 88, but have always wanted one in a bolt action. Rechambering might be the best option for me too. I have also carried mine elk hunting but didn't get a shot yet with it. Does great on deer like so many others.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Glad you liked the article!

Like many rifle loonies, I tend to play with a bunch of different rifles and cartridges. Must admit that anymore much of it just that, playing--though partly because I get paid to "play." But tend to prefer actually finding out, instead of guessing...

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by trplem

Nah, Bobby Brown was at least a cool Frank Zappa song. LB is just a turd in the punch bowl.

I sometimes wonder if Rick doesn't "encourage" sophomoric, profane, insulting posters like Stick, LB,etc. because it increases the post count and the corresponding revenue.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I doubt it--partly because I doubt you'll see much more of LB....

John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Sounds ominous

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Originally Posted by smallfry
The 7mm-08 is a very balanced cartridge when you pour over ballistic charts, whereas the 308 is a very balanced cartridge.

So well said, and absolutely mirrors my experience with both rounds.

Part of me just died inside…

grin

Pharm, I've always admired your dedication to the 7-08, and the good use you put it to! It "speaks" to you like the 308 does to me. Really, that's about all a guy needs to know about any cartridge. As Finn Aagaard said, "the 7-08 possibly makes the optimum use of the 308 case." And yet Finn was a 308 guy, not a 7-08 guy. I get and like the 7-08 on paper, I just prefer the un-fussiness of the 308.

See what I did there laugh

If I had picked up the parent first, instead of the child, I’d likely be where you are now.

Realistically, ain’t nothing gonna know it was shot by a .308 or a 7mm-08.

Good bullet, proper velocity, good placement. The rest is hot air.

Fun to discuss, however.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Well, we can hope. Reading this thread, I kept thinking "Goodness, what does it TAKE to get banned on this site?"
We shouldn't need rules keeping us civil - that ought to be normal human behavior - but we have it codified as rule #1 on this forum:

1] Please be respectful of other posters at all times. The ability to refrain from personal attacks, obscenities, and flame wars is a minimum requirement for a log at the Campfire.

That said, how can Big Stick still have an account here? I put that guy on ignore long ago but still sometimes get forced to see his drivel when he gets quoted by others, and he almost always belittles and calls others really bad names in every post. I guess rule #1 doesn't mean much if you're him.

Back to the subject though...
I've never killed an elk with a 30-06 but I believe it's a fine round to do so. I have only killed three elk with a rifle - two bulls with the .35 Whelen AI and one cow with the .358 Win. All worked great. But I did kill a large NM bull bison with a 180 Partition in the 30-06, and it worked great, just like I reckon it would have on each of those elk.

Just my two cents.
Rex

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by SLM
He’s got a familiar ring to another 2 or 3 screen names that have/had an answer to every question.

Hmmm…… maybe an alpaca.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Rex,

When was the last time you saw Big Stick on this forum?

Am not talking about the Campfire, but ATGW?

John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I imagine that a 24hcf user may be restricted from posting in selected sub-forums. Hence, no BS and could be LB, posting in this forum. Great news!

Last edited by Mr_TooDogs; 01/06/22. Reason: addition of a comma

GOA
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Mule Deer:

I also enjoyed your article on the .284, even though I've never had one and likely never will. I'm still curious to learn about rifles and cartridges, even those I'll never experience. I also happened to notice that just two issues before your article was published, one of your colleagues wrote about the .22-284. In it, he disparaged the .284, claiming it would only get 3,000 fps with a 120-grain bullet, or only 2800 with a 150. I had read that article but not given it much thought when that issue arrived, but after re-reading that particular magazine while bored last week I caught the reference to the .284. My curiosity piqued, I then re-checked your results, and noticed you got 300 and 180 fps more, respectively, than your colleague's claims. Like you said above, sometimes rifle loonies just have to know rather than guess. I realize that data obtained by different people with different rifles does not, and should not, always agree, but I've always appreciated your common use of the phrase--when making a claim--that "I know this because . . ." followed by an explanation of something that you actually experienced rather than something you just heard or read about. You make a claim, and then cite evidence to support it. Evidence obtained by playing around with rifles is, after all, still evidence.

Anyway, didn't plan to own a .284 before reading the article, and don't plan to now, but it was still a very informative and enjoyable article. Kind of like enjoying a trip you didn't actually take, if that makes any sense.

Greg Perry

Last edited by gaperry59; 01/06/22.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

What a shame. I was just starting to warm up to the guy.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Sounds ominous

Sounds Promising to me.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Another fella that enjoyed the 284 article while,like gapery59, having never owned or particularly wanted to own one. Curiously enough, I do have a box of hand loads for one in the truck right now. One of the fellow hunting camp kids forgot it in the console after second weekend deer season. Yes, we are all old enough to suffer from occasional CRS.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by southtexas
Originally Posted by trplem

I sometimes wonder if Rick doesn't "encourage" sophomoric, profane, insulting posters like Stick, LB,etc. because it increases the post count and the corresponding revenue.

What’s the deal with Stick? He seems very knowledgeable but his writing skills are that of a 10 year old Bowery Boy.
I went back (just for the hell of it) and he was never like that. What happened?

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (17CalFan, 160user, 1badf350, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 61 invisible), 2,358 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,700
Posts18,494,243
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.