Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
One is for sale locally but the clutch is going out on it.
It's a 26hp 4wd with a loader. Tires are good and it's seen little use since 1990 when it was new.

The guy selling it said he's the second owner and it's only been used to move snow occasionally. Said the clutch is weak and likely needs to be replaced, but a new one can be had for a couple hundred dollars and was just a matter of labor to put it in. No idea how hard that could be it what it could entail. Several searches online don't yield anything.
Does anyone have any experience with these? Is it worth the hassle it should it be avoided?

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Parts for a tractor that is no longer made may be an issue, with supply chain problems. Maybe even without supply chain problems.

How much are they asking?

If it's cheap enough, it may be worth the trouble.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I suggest posting your question at the tractorbynet forums. That's a pretty common tractor. How many hours on it? If it's just the clutch and otherwise in good shape I would seriously look at it.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

future reference

this 'Joe' is GTG

https://www.tractorjoe.com/

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
It only involves splitting the tractor in half.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If it's got little use, than maybe the clutch is out of adjustment or there is an issue in the linkage. I generally weight a seller's mechanical explanation of a problem as highly as I weight my wife's theories about why her car does such and such.

Maybe you can buy it cheap. Any tractor that runs and drives is bringing big money these days. The little ones seem to bring a huge premium.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Huntz
It only involves splitting the tractor in half.

That's what I'm afraid of, do you have a reference for this or is it a WAG?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kingston
If it's got little use, than maybe the clutch is out of adjustment or there is an issue in the linkage. I generally weight a seller's mechanical explanation of a problem as highly as I weight my wife's theories about why her car does such and such.

Maybe you can buy it cheap. Any tractor that runs and drives is bringing big money these days. The little ones seem to bring a huge premium.

The guy is asking 3k OBO and is only 70 miles away.
Wondering if it is even worth the drive to look at it, if it was American green or red then I wouldn't hesitate

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
New clutch, and pressure plate, turn the flywheel, how much, $2000?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wabigoon
New clutch, and pressure plate, turn the flywheel, how much, $2000?

Seller said the clutch assembly was $200 and readily available. If I do have to split it in half to replace it then a cheap tractor no longer is. Kinda like a free calf

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I just had the clutch done on my mahindra 4110. Clutch disc, pressure plate resurface and throw out bearing and labor - $1500 @ 550 hrs. Non mahindra parts. It had to be split. The guy who owned It before me must had rode the clutch. The dealer said he has seen them come in with 50hrs on them and already had burnt the clutch.

I would go look at it since it is only 70 miles.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Colorado1135

Wondering if it is even worth the drive to look at it, if it was American green or red then I wouldn't hesitate

OBO— even at $3k if it's been stored inside it whole life, it could be a steal. The thing might outlast you.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
With smaller tractors, for quite some time "American green or red" has meant much Asian. With the scant info given, 3K sounds pretty good for a Mitsubishi if it has low hours and is clean and if all that is wrong is clutch trouble because - as someone noted above - it may simply be an adjustment/linkage issue.

A clutch replacement is a fairly simple do it yourself task if you have some clutch experience. I have done two such clutch jobs - one a Massey Ferguson and one a Yanmar - and it can be somewhat easier than a truck clutch if you are not daunted by splitting it, Two good rolling jacks and some common sense.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
If I do have to split it in half to replace it then a cheap tractor no longer is. Kinda like a free calf

Splitting it in half is the way you replace the clutch in the vast majority of tractors out there. It sounds daunting but from what I've seen isn't particularly difficult. I haven't done it myself though.

If he was using it to push snow he was probably riding the clutch.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Splitting a tractor is not as bad as it sounds. Grew up on a farm and replaced a few clutches. tricycle front is harder but a small wide front is not bad.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

I would probably buy @ $3k... if it works out... great... if not resell.

Pay attention to the front axle and 4WD... that can get right pricey. Clutch "problem" could be a gaslight red herring. Just saying.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had a cub cadet 26hp which is a Mitsubishi. I sold mine with 500 hours and never a single problem. It started everyday i owned it never plugged in and that includes some days close to minus 20f.

The glow plugs cycled so fast that on subzero days it would light off in 10 seconds. More like 3 on a 50 degree morning.

Mine pulled a 7 foot mower that everyone said it never could.

If the one you're looking at isn't beat, I'd buy it unseen.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I made spiltting stands years ago, the fit, M, and H Farmalls, maybe up to an 806.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
I'd say it's worth the drive to take a look at it and drive it at least.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 61 invisible), 2,282 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,695
Posts18,494,170
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.