Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Buy a Krieger...

HR IC

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not really defending JES but, during any machining process, things can go wrong. Likely that during the rifling process, something didn't go as planned. Maybe a cutter broke and scored the bore. In which case the barrel is now useless. At least by boring to 358 you have a functional barrel that you can either use or sell for another barrel.

Does seem like a detailed explanation and a heads up would have been a nice courtesy however.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by z1r
Not really defending JES but, during any machining process, things can go wrong. Likely that during the rifling process, something didn't go as planned. Maybe a cutter broke and scored the bore. In which case the barrel is now useless. At least by boring to 358 you have a functional barrel that you can either use or sell for another barrel.

Does seem like a detailed explanation and a heads up would have been a nice courtesy however.

I've seen other smiths who would've just handed you the screwed up 338 and acted incredulous when you discovered the issue. So kudos to JES for fixing and refunding. If you've ever tried to call, you know it can take multiple messages and a few days of phone tag to finally connect. So I'm not totally surprised he just went ahead and did it. (Though I would've appreciated a voicemail.)

For everyone saying Jason should have just rebarreled, this is really an anomalous result based on usual reports of JES guns and at $250 it's still way more economical than ordering a barrel, waiting for it, then paying a smith to install it *correctly.*

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
It does suck, but if he already punched it out to .338 and wasn't up to spec, what real choice did he have. If it were me, I would see if i can score a take off 243, 260, 308 barrel and give JES another call and see if he will fit and punch out the new barrel for you. Heck you could probably sell the 358 barrel for any cost difference.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
maybe he punched it out 358 first ....one will never know

IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I understand part of the cost argument, but you could also look at it like spending $250 to polish a turd. That $250 is half way to a premium barrel and install job...

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by noKnees
It does suck, but if he already punched it out to .338 and wasn't up to spec, what real choice did he have. If it were me, I would see if i can score a take off 243, 260, 308 barrel and give JES another call and see if he will fit and punch out the new barrel for you. Heck you could probably sell the 358 barrel for any cost difference.

Winner winner chicken dinner! I’m going with this he rebored per customers request to a 338 federal. It wasn’t up to spec, what choice he have send the rifle back as a unshootable 338 federal with a refund? Or punch it out to a 358 with refund. At least ol boy has something he can sell to finance next project..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When’s the last time you all sent a rifle off to be rebarreled by a competent gunsmith? Local guy up here charges $600 plus cost of barrel. Which hell minimum for a good barrel $330 bucks. So a grand to rebarrel a rifle… ol boy can sell that 358 right now, wander on down to sportsmans warehouse or wherever pick up a new 700 adl for $500 and still be ahead. With a rebore vs rebarrel job..

Last edited by 79S; 01/08/22.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm
Originally Posted by z1r

I've seen other smiths who would've just handed you the screwed up 338 and acted incredulous when you discovered the issue. So kudos to JES for fixing and refunding. If you've ever tried to call, you know it can take multiple messages and a few days of phone tag to finally connect. So I'm not totally surprised he just went ahead and did it. (Though I would've appreciated a voicemail.)

For everyone saying Jason should have just rebarreled, this is really an anomalous result based on usual reports of JES guns and at $250 it's still way more economical than ordering a barrel, waiting for it, then paying a smith to install it *correctly.*

It depends what you want for an end result. If you're looking for the cheapest way into a larger cartridge the rebore is the way to go. If you're looking for more of a custom rifle then maybe a re-barrel is the way to go. Some of the barrel makers like Pac Nor will fit and install the barrel on your action so it's a one shot deal.

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
I understand part of the cost argument, but you could also look at it like spending $250 to polish a turd. That $250 is half way to a premium barrel and install job...

No way you're buying a premium barrel and having it installed by a competent smith for $500 unless you are in tight with the smith or are tickling his nuts while you suck on his barrel.

That $250 to rebore may end up shooting better than a custom barrel. It's a gamble and anybody that chooses a rebore fully understands this.

Same with a custom barrel and install.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 01/08/22.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
If you guys are spending $600 for a chamber job, you're getting bent over.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
What are you paying for a fit and chamber job?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mathman
What are you paying for a fit and chamber job?

And barrel cost?

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Sucking barrels and chamber jobs... where is this thread going? 😂😂😂

JES charges $250 for a standard (3 groove) rebore and that includes return shipping. A new barrel and installation is going to cost way more. And I don't think I've seen a thread yet where someone's JES rifle didn't shoot?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Sucking barrels and chamber jobs... where is this thread going? 😂😂😂

JES charges $250 for a standard (3 groove) rebore and that includes return shipping. A new barrel and installation is going to cost way more. And I don't think I've seen a thread yet where someone's JES rifle didn't shoot?

There were a couple on the thread the OP posted a while back on JES Rebores

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 79S
When’s the last time you all sent a rifle off to be rebarreled by a competent gunsmith? Local guy up here charges $600 plus cost of barrel. Which hell minimum for a good barrel $330 bucks. So a grand to rebarrel a rifle… ol boy can sell that 358 right now, wander on down to sportsmans warehouse or wherever pick up a new 700 adl for $500 and still be ahead. With a rebore vs rebarrel job..

When's the last time you saw a 700 on the shelf for 500?

Local Cabelas has a USED Ruger 10/22 on the shelf for 599.00

I've never seen these mythical cheap 700s and less so over the last 2-3 years.

Me

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Teal
Originally Posted by 79S

When's the last time you saw a 700 on the shelf for 500?

Local Cabelas has a USED Ruger 10/22 on the shelf for 599.00

I've never seen these mythical cheap 700s and less so over the last 2-3 years.

I bought one here in the last two years

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
man you boys are all over the place....
sell the 358 barrel for 150.00 should be easy i would think
somebody here will probably give you a barrel to have re bored again or take the money and get a custom if you want
douglas will do it for less than 600 with a 3 week turn around

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
man you boys are all over the place....
sell the 358 barrel for 150.00 should be easy i would think
somebody here will probably give you a barrel to have re bored again or take the money and get a custom if you want
douglas will do it for less than 600 with a 3 week turn around

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Sounds like he didn't care for the condition of the bore after he punched it to .338.

I assume the only choice was to leave a schitty bore or clean it up to something else and hope that bore diameter worked out.

I guess I would rather have it as he did it as opposed to a bad rebore job.

Lookimg like it's time to find another barrel or sell the rifle and buy another to be rebored.

Initially I just assumed he went from 243 to 358 after measuring/inspecting. But if he went 243 to 338 and didn't think it was functional/safe, the jump to 358 makes a lot more sense.

Or he too late discovered he'd grabbed the wrong reamer. Chit happens. The job is completed, money refunded. A free rebore! If this is the case, or the 338 didn't meet standards, a good solution, tho a phone call should have been made, IMO.

Someone will buy it....

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (1badf350, 1minute, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 50 invisible), 2,262 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,036
Posts18,500,716
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.