Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Brands to stay away from:
Bear Creak
Radical

I agree 100%... NO Bear Creak and NO Radical

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Hearing peoples opinions on manufacturers to avoid is probably more valuable to me than hearing what people prefer. I will definitely take those two off of the list

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
If you are just having fun... do a PSA. Barrel should last you a good long while 3k+ rounds or so. Very cost effective.

If you plan to really abuse the gun get a better barrel. I forget, but maybe it was Shaw?

Couple of friends were bragging on a particular brand holding up very well after 10k-15k rounds. Anyone help me out here?

I do recall the barrel was 3 times more expensive than most.

I'll get back to this after I talk to Chris and Tycen.

----------------------------------------------------

I've built a ton of guns with cheap Green Mountain blanks... vast majority of these guns will never see 2k rounds... fantastic accuracy for $100 blanks... they just don't last forever.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by scottprice
Hearing peoples opinions on manufacturers to avoid is probably more valuable to me than hearing what people prefer. I will definitely take those two off of the list

did I miss the caliber ?

5.56 or BLK ?

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by tikkanut

did I miss the caliber ?

5.56 or BLK ?

If I build a pistol it will be 5.56 with a 223 wylde Barrel… If I build a predator rifle I’m not quite sure what caliber I’lldo yet…

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by CashisKing
If you are just having fun... do a PSA. Barrel should last you a good long while 3k+ rounds or so. Very cost effective.

No matter what I build, it will never see over 3000 rounds, pretty sure of that

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
I have built ARs in 9mm, 45acp, .460 Rowland

.223, 6x45, .300 B/O, 358 Macho (before .350 Legend can about), 375 SOCOM, .458 SOCOM (AVOID Wilson Combat on either SOCOM).

.308 Winchester, .338 Federal, .358 Winchester, .375 Raptor and .458 Lott (yes, I said that right)...

It is VERY addictive.

HAVE FUN!

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C

No matter what I build, it will never see over 3000 rounds, pretty sure of that

Fair enough...

It's not that the barrel will be toast at 3k... it will just have waning accuracy.

3k is a lot of rounds IMHO.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S

Agreed haha. I don’t think I have fired 3000 rounds through all of my hunting guns combined 🤷🏼‍♂️

IC B3

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

If you plan to really abuse the gun get a better barrel. I forget, but maybe it was Shaw?

Couple of friends were bragging on a particular brand holding up very well after 10k-15k rounds. Anyone help me out here?

I've built a ton of guns with cheap Green Mountain blanks... vast majority of these guns will never see 2k rounds... fantastic accuracy for $100 blanks... they just don't last forever.

How long ago was this? Was this 10k-15k rds done over a couple yrs? Or in one yr? 10k-15k is a lot rds if it was done in a year.. I’m about to embark on a somewhat 1K rd one day torture test on a cheap AR build I’m doing.. hopefully all the parts show up next week or so. Far from the 10k-15k rounds but I figure majority of AR owners will never put 1k rds through their AR. Your buddies are the exception..

Last edited by 79S; 01/09/22.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

being a dedicated p/dog shooter prob the last 25 yrs.......

Pac Nor has been my barrel of choice..Savage action & assemble myself

Had a 6BR I know I ran it 12K rds over 10 yrs...now retired but still kilt dogs @ 600 yds last day in the field

Shown in pic my ole 20 Vartarg (20 Fireball) 14 yrs & still running....pushing 10K rds & still flippin dogs

Some barrels are better than others....Pac Nor has been good to me

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

It might have been a Noveske CHF chrome lined barrel… they advertise that they’re built to M249 SAW specs.

To the OP, whatever you do, don’t waste a bunch of money on a high end lower… it’s just a box to hold the trigger group and magazine. The only thing you get out of a name on a lower is bragging rights (assuming the cheaper lower meets the most basic specs for pin alignment, etc)

Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.
C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
...10k-15k rounds but I figure majority of AR owners will never put 1k rds through their AR. Your buddies are the exception..

Chris has a mechanized (motor driven) Dillon 1050... that makes insanity WAY TO EASY sometimes.

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by LoadClear

It might have been a Noveske CHF chrome lined barrel… they advertise that they’re built to M249 SAW specs.

To the OP, whatever you do, don’t waste a bunch of money on a high end lower… it’s just a box to hold the trigger group and magazine. The only thing you get out of a name on a lower is bragging rights (assuming the cheaper lower meets the most basic specs for pin alignment, etc)

Noveske has tremendous reputation... chrome lined adds excellent durability.

Tycen just confirmed it was a ER Shaw on a Stag... used in the torture test.

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C

Agreed haha. I don’t think I have fired 3000 rounds through all of my hunting guns combined 🤷🏼‍♂️

Sorry SP... I misread. Get a PSA upper IMHO... and spend any extra on a quality trigger. Parts kit triggers will disappoint 90% of the time.

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by tikkanut

being a dedicated p/dog shooter prob the last 25 yrs.......

Pac Nor has been my barrel of choice..Savage action & assemble myself

Had a 6BR I know I ran it 12K rds over 10 yrs...now retired but still kilt dogs @ 600 yds last day in the field

Shown in pic my ole 20 Vartarg (20 Fireball) 14 yrs & still running....pushing 10K rds & still flippin dogs

Some barrels are better than others....Pac Nor has been good to me

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Impressive durability... I would not have expected that. Thanks for the intel on Pac Nor.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
May want to shoot a pistol length upper before you decide. The blast and concussion from them can be pretty bad without at least a blast can.

First build, I’d suggest a 16” barrel, mid length gas. PSA should have something for well under $1k

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I just had someone message me saying another option would be to buy an 80% lower. Not something I’m interested in at all. I don’t want to have any milling or drilling to do.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I just had someone message me saying another option would be to buy an 80% lower. Not something I’m interested in at all. I don’t want to have any milling or drilling to do.

Smart, pretty easy to have an expensive paperweight

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

80 members (1OntarioJim, 41rem, 16penny, 35, afisher, 12 invisible), 1,636 guests, and 890 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,494
Posts18,472,105
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.