Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I had a Pintail and liked it a lot, wish I had never sold it

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
GB1

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Still got mine 20yr. veteran of the duck marsh. Duck guns live a hard life, but this one is still going strong. Great under rated shotguns

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Got my new monte out for a pheasant hunt. I really enjoy it, carries well and I can hit stuff with it.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by GF1
Originally Posted by pullit
I've had several and have one now. All of mine have been 20 ga, not 12. The only thing I found not to like was the dreaded Benelli Click.
I did not find out about how to fix it until after I sold my last one. I have not changed the spring out in the one I have now, but will before I hunt with it

I know of this happening to others, but have never had it happen to me.

Nothing to do with a spring.

It happens because people don't know how to operate them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
While not the 12 gauge, I own a 20 gauge Montefeltro and used it heavily since 2002. There are occasions when the bolt can come out of battery and it is not, quote LFC: "because people don't know how to operate them".

When mearns hunting in some of the rougher heavy cover I will often open the action and let it snap back into full battery. It can be bumped by brush which moves the bolt is out of battery ever so slightly. When this happens pulling the trigger allows the next round to come out of the magazine. If it happens a quick cycle of the bolt will eject the unfired round from the chamber and the next round will be cycled into the chamber. I have managed to shoot flushing birds doing this but not every time.

Other than this minor issue this shotgun is tough and has endured many very rough mearns hunts including some spectacular falls. FYI a true mearns hunter becomes one when he has shot a bird while falling. <grin>
mearns country /Santa Rita Mts:
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

My friend has the Ethos. It seems to be machined differently and will usually go into battery just by letting go of the bolt handle even if it is barely out of battery, something the Montefelto doesn't do.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Two thoughts,,, if nothing more than a brush bump will unlock the bolt, then occasionally I would be giving the bolt handle a push forward to ensure it was still locked.

laissez les bons temps rouler
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by battue
Two thoughts,,, if nothing more than a brush bump will unlock the bolt, then occasionally I would be giving the bolt handle a push forward to ensure it was still locked.

My first thought as well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My particular shotgun won't allow a push forward that tiny bit. The rotary bolt won't cooperate. It requires either pulling it rearwards which rotates the bolt head a bit then quickly closing it or pulling bolt rearwards quite a ways and allowing the spring to slam it closed. I have lubed and cleaned the area of bolt and receiver and nothing makes any difference.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Makes sense...

laissez les bons temps rouler
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The ones that I had trouble with, I feel was a weak spring. You could hold the gun in your hand vertically and if you snatched the gun up and back down one time the bolt would come out of battery. Jumping a ditch in the field, and those type things would produce the "click". At the time I did not know what was going on or how to fix it but all you have to do is Google Benelli bolt click and it comes up.
Yes I know it can be because you try and ride the bolt down in order to close it and this too will cause it, but that is not what was happening in my case.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No dog in the Benelli fight, but the guy shooting next to me yesterday had major “click” problems with his 20, even when releasing the bolt with the button and letting it slam forward. Actually, it started happening on the second shot, then wouldn’t fire the first. Between rounds he ran a snake through it a few times and it began working perfectly again. Maybe the chambers get gunked up, affecting bolt closing? Don’t know the guy well, so can’t comment on his maintenance.

I like these, might’ve bought one if I hadn’t run across a nice old Browning Gold Hunter first.

What fresh Hell is this?
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
You don't see the Gold Hunter in 20 ga very much. I had a buddy that had one and he sold it to another friend of mine and he still has it. They are great guns and very soft shooting

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I found mine in the floor rack of an LGS. Pretty much perfect, and clean inside, so very few rounds through it I suspect. I did a quick web check on value, and it was priced $200 or more under what I saw, so I snagged it.

Actually, I was hooked when I saw the “Made in Belgium Assembled in Portugal” on it. There was a nice Benelli 12 almost next to it, that caught my eye as well, but old guys like old stuff, and this one likes old Brownings, if 1995 counts as old.

What fresh Hell is this?
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Not trying to find out what you paid, but that did your web search turn up on value? Seems like my buddy paid $600 but I could be wrong on that

Last edited by pullit; 02/16/22.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Web said close to a grand. I paid $750.

I’m only cagey about what I spend when reporting to the War Department.😱

What fresh Hell is this?
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Got ya, man they have gone up, I did not realize they were that high

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well worth it so far. Like you said, soft-shooting, runs clean, have had a total of one FTE so far in maybe 300-400 rounds (just a guess). Put 75 through it yesterday without a bobble. Speed feeds just like my A5.

What fresh Hell is this?
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have heard that the Benelli Ethos has fixed the click problem. I don't have one, so don't hold me to it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep Ethos doesn't have the issue. I posted that earlier on page 5.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Hogeye
I have heard that the Benelli Ethos has fixed the click problem. I don't have one, so don't hold me to it.

Fixed a problem that does not exist? You know like others have implied on this thread.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

339 members (10ring1, 160user, 219DW, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 28 invisible), 2,045 guests, and 1,109 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,124
Posts18,483,712
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.