-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jason280, think about this…… he would have been a lot of money ahead to communicate with you about a bad rebore, purchased a takeoff short action 700 barrel off eBay and delivered what you paid for and kept his commission cost… Why didn’t he do that?

Todd

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Quick search on the eBay revealed a few 700 short action take off barrels for well under $100…

Todd

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by gene270
you need to look at the douglas web site
525.00 for the barrel and install with the action squared up
you can upgrade to stainless for 75 more

Doesn't Douglas do this in the white? So you'd still be on the hook for bluing?

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by jackmountain
$750 and they risk their reputation being trashed on the web? I’ve ate $10k to cover employees mistakes, lost $10k to [bleep] bag customers going bankrupt too. Cost of doing business. I’d thought hard about sending an ‘06 for reboreing to 9.3x62. That ain’t happening now.

I just can't agree with this comment.

I have no hesitations about sending him another rifle. In fact, I will almost certainly be sending him another 700 and a NEF Handi Rifle to rebore in the next couple of weeks. Forcing him to rebarrel the rifle seems a little excessive to me, especially considering what I got out of the deal. I ended up with a rifle I will have no trouble selling (for more than I could before) or trading, all at no cost to myself. It would be one thing if I had waited on this rifle for 6+ months, but it took less than 3-4 weeks.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Justahunter
Jason280, think about this…… he would have been a lot of money ahead to communicate with you about a bad rebore, purchased a takeoff short action 700 barrel off eBay and delivered what you paid for and kept his commission cost… Why didn’t he do that?

Todd

Because then he's responsible (and liable) for the *random* Ebay barrel and how it shoots ... on top of what he's already responsible for?

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
There are a couple here who are really invested in wanting me to be "upset" about this whole thing. I completely understand Todd's experience, but his experience is simply not the same as mine.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm
Originally Posted by Justahunter

Todd

Because then he's responsible (and liable) for the *random* Ebay barrel and how it shoots ... on top of what he's already responsible for?

Some are without a clue.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Jason280
There are a couple here who are really invested in wanting me to be "upset" about this whole thing. I completely understand Todd's experience, but his experience is simply not the same as mine.

I know nothing about his experience, though it sounds like a dumpsterfire, so this isn't directed at him. But there are definitely people on the forum who just dislike the idea of budget rebores from JES and I've always assumed some of it has to do with most of them shooting just as well as the $1000 rebarrel job, or well enough for hunting to make zero difference.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Shoot, keep the newly bored .358 and just buy this.

Best of both worlds. smile

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...onew/1/wts-sako-85-in-338-federal#UNREAD

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
For $1295, I would just get Nine Run Gun to build me a .338 on a 700 action.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jason280

I wish you the best with what you recieved but as I said earlier....

He owes you the cost of another barrel

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I believe JES to be a good guy, he made sure you could at least sell or use the one that went bad due to slag…

You could send him a new barrel to work and He’d probably knock down the cost for you on that one, frankly he’s got a decent number of hours in the old work… so both parties should try to make things work out … stuff happens folks..

At the end of the day sleeping well is a good thing folks.

Last edited by Spotshooter; 01/08/22.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You couldn't give me thirty .243 barrels for that .358. I've seen things.

I'd hunt it.

LOL
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Why do you guys act like a used M700 barrel has value in the first place? Most go in the trash after a smith pulls it to put on a real barrel. It's not like the smith ruined a Krieger or Brux...

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'd just order up a SS Remage barrel, buy a couple of tools and call it a day now.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If you are JES and there is a problem with the BARREL, don't you take a pic and send it to the customer, then ask how they want to proceed?

If there was an error in the PROCESS of the rebore, that would be when you wouldn't take pictures, would bore it out to 358 and mail it back to the customer with a no charge.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
If you are JES and there is a problem with the BARREL, don't you take a pic and send it to the customer, then ask how they want to proceed?

If there was an error in the PROCESS of the rebore, that would be when you wouldn't take pictures, would bore it out to 358 and mail it back to the customer with a no charge.

Maybe. Problems in the metal could be uncovered by the boring process. Most clients aren't gonna want to hear it was pre-existing. Either way, he can't send back something he thinks isn't safe.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

Maybe. Problems in the metal could be uncovered by the boring process. Most clients aren't gonna want to hear it was pre-existing. Either way, he can't send back something he thinks isn't safe.

I would still call. If I order veal at a restaurant and they are out, I wouldn't be happy if I waited 40 minutes for them to bring me chicken.

I just can't imagine not talking to the customer.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Mike78

I would still call. If I order veal at a restaurant and they are out, I wouldn't be happy if I waited 40 minutes for them to bring me chicken.

I just can't imagine not talking to the customer.

Totally agree on the phone call.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Teal
Originally Posted by 79S
When’s the last time you all sent a rifle off to be rebarreled by a competent gunsmith? Local guy up here charges $600 plus cost of barrel. Which hell minimum for a good barrel $330 bucks. So a grand to rebarrel a rifle… ol boy can sell that 358 right now, wander on down to sportsmans warehouse or wherever pick up a new 700 adl for $500 and still be ahead. With a rebore vs rebarrel job..

When's the last time you saw a 700 on the shelf for 500?

Local Cabelas has a USED Ruger 10/22 on the shelf for 599.00

I've never seen these mythical cheap 700s and less so over the last 2-3 years.

Ok $519 at sportsmans warehouse

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (1minute, 10Glocks, 16penny, 160user, 10gaugemag, 53 invisible), 2,415 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,527
Posts18,472,651
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.