Hop To
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Our new West Virginia battle cruiser.

1998 Isuzu Trooper 5 speed manual 4x4. She is about to get gang raped in the mountains of West Virginia.

Basic Training in the lowlands of the Chesapeake Bay this winter... then the real fugging will begin.

Her exo-skeloton will be similar to this...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Let the pain begin...

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Anyone else have... or know a Trooper?

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like that brown dog.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
They are good off road trucks. Full framed and overbuilt suspension. Good that you have the manual transmission instead of the schit GM automatic they used.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by CashisKing

Buddy had a first Gen. Went anywhere.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Should be a capable off roader.

LOL
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by CashisKing

Brother has one I think. Some kind of Izuzu, and he's a desert rat.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Troopers are good trucks. The first gen I’m most familiar with. The only issue was the rather anemic powerplants. Have no idea if they put stronger motors in them later. I would buy one if I could find one that looks as nice as yours if it was a decent price.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I had an Amigo with the 4 litre and it would scoot. 3" lift, built a heavy duty push bar for the front with 500 watts of light. Great offroad rig.

LOL
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by m_stevenson
Troopers are good trucks. The first gen I’m most familiar with. The only issue was the rather anemic powerplants. Have no idea if they put stronger motors in them later. I would buy one if I could find one that looks as nice as yours if it was a decent price.

Did some trading around... but about $3,500 seems to be the market for a manual 4WD... at least around here.

As for power... seemed sufficient in my mind... in the lower range it appears to have plenty of torque... she will probably live in low anyway.

Found a RWD 1999 manual for $1,500 in Newport News... looked clean. Manuals get very little love where they are not needed.

Was looking for a LC or Lexus GX 470 (hail damage salvage), but nothing damaged or reasonable. I am thinking "Izzy" can hang with a LC... we will see.

IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by 673
I like that brown dog.

Thanks...

That is "Miss Lillie SCB (Stone Cold Bitch)... she is a Mountain Cur and an experiment... she will be deliberately cross-bred with Rex (Australian Sheppard). Rex is the smartest dog I have ever known.

Miss Lillie has a 2 mile nose and can run down a squirrel or rabbit on sight... Rex can run calculus in his head... and is fluent in 16 languages.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
can't believe with all that room and you have to run into a big rock....lol

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
They are good rigs, had a gen 2. Very capable, parts were a little difficult to find at times. Now I'm playing with a gen 1 montero, it's more fun.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Rex might have the right idea....pizzing on the tire that is.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've been mildly interested in picking up a vehicle like the that. I'd really like a Suzuki sidekick, but the Isuzu Amigo, Rodeo and Trooper all have my attention.

Nice looking rig.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
B
BLG Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Based on past experience, remove each wheel and put never seize on each stud. Those damn things were notorious for stripping lugs and studs. Find out now before you get to needing to change out a flat, and you break off 3 or 4.Would suck to be on trail and that would happen.

Used to replace tires at Sam's club in my younger days, late 80's to mid 90's, and those things would wreck your day. Had it happen more than twice....lol

Clyde

The liberal mind is an endless black hole of stupidity.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Had a 89 trooper back in the day......loved it.

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by bruinruin
I've been mildly interested in picking up a vehicle like the that. I'd really like a Suzuki sidekick, but the Isuzu Amigo, Rodeo and Trooper all have my attention.

Nice looking rig.

Originally Posted by BLG
Based on past experience, remove each wheel and put never seize on each stud. Those damn things were notorious for stripping lugs and studs. Find out now before you get to needing to change out a flat, and you break off 3 or 4.Would suck to be on trail and that would happen.

Used to replace tires at Sam's club in my younger days, late 80's to mid 90's, and those things would wreck your day. Had it happen more than twice....lol

Clyde

Thanks... good intel on Anti seize.

The subtle things kinda impressed me. Power lockout on high/low... skid plates on everything... REALLY GOOD 365 degree visibility. "Oh Chit" grab handles inside the cab (even one on the transmission hump)... lock bars on the barn doors to resist the wind... spare room under the hood... steering radius is impressive... takes 16" Toyota/Isuzu rims so I can run my spare Dodge 265/75/16 123s tires. Strong frame and undercarriage. Tons of headroom (I am 6' 5")... Legroom... not so much (but I have a welder).

Lots of logic it seems.

Kinda forgot how much I miss a strong clutch.

Inline 6 is better than a V, but it should be OK... a Cummins 4BT down the road MAYBE?

On board air compressor and bags on all four corners... maybe. We will see.

She will probably never see pavement again... after she get to WV.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
That's a good looking 4x4!

Neighbors back in Florida had a mid 90's, 250K+ miles on it never spent a penny other than a little maintenance oil change tune-up etc. .
They brought a VW Jetta or ?, planning on buying it, asked me I thought, said they're high maintenance don't buy it. They bought it, it was in the shop constantly, same story Nissan Murano loaded out with accessories, constantly back to the dealership, while their old faded black Trooper rolled out year in year out.

Looking forward to seeing the Trooper built up, big like on the truck!

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

100 members (6mmCreedmoor, 338reddog, 14idaho, 01Foreman400, 35, 41rem, 5 invisible), 1,538 guests, and 813 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,323
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.