Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Jim1611 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I've got some grandsons that love to hunt and shoot. Good young men in allot of different ways. When they graduated from high school my gift to them was an elk hunt. Two of them are able to go with me this fall. It'll be a DIY hunt in Colorado. Tent camping. One other fellow going too. None of these guys have ever went out west but all of them have hunted whitetails and small game. I've always hunted with guys that have experience so this is my first time to be the "old man" of the group. Any advice?
Thanks
Jim

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Pack lots of extra chow! The younger fellas tend to eat more than you could imagine!

I can't think of much else other than making sure they have bins, packs, and good boots.

Semper Fi
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Practice, practice, practice

Get in shape and break in your hiking boots.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
A couple of things. One is to have realistic expectations of how many elk will be seen and how many opportunities will arise. Its just so different from deer hunting in that respect among others.
Second is to focus on getting an elk instead of focusing on what to do with one once you've got it.

I took my nephews elk hunting once up on a time, and that's how I know...the time and energy put on strapping a chest freezer and inverter generator on a trailer was poorly spent in my view.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Bring up the area you will be hunting on Google Earth and familiarize yourself with the lay of the land and where your camp will be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Start getting into the best physical shape of your life NOW, and then heed elkhunternm's advice!

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
J
Jim1611 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Great advice fellows. Spot on about the food these boys can put away too!
Thanks

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Be mentally prepared for the undertaking. Stuff will break, you are gonna get separated, you might get stuck somewhere, you are gonna forget something, you are not going to be sleeping like at home, etc.

Get in shape. All of you. You are going to be exerting at an elevation you are not used to so it’s gonna be harder on you all then you are used to

I would imagine you will be looking at longer ranges than you are used to. Bring binoculars. And tripods. Spotting scope would be handy

Plan for adverse weather.

Bring hunting packs. Bring headlamps. Bring some very basic first aid supplies.

Plan for layered clothing. Bring good boots.

Give a lot of thought on how you are gonna get the elk out of where you down him. Once you have him down isn’t the time to do that. I would bring some pack frames with meat shelves and rope.

I wouldn’t rely on having cell coverage.

Get maps and go over it with the members in your party.

Plan for possible couple hundred yard shots.

"Successful is leaving something in better shape than you inherited it in. Keep that in mind, son." Dad
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
These guys are giving great advice. Also bring a few really bright flashlights or headlamps; they can be helpful finding your way out after dark. Don't forget some flagging ribbon, too.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Be prepared for just about anything- 75 degrees and dry as popcorn, or 5 degrees, wind howling, snow two feet deep , etc.... or anything in between- sometimes in the same day.... be prepared to stay out all day so pack a lunch in your pack along with plenty of water and other necessities....

Altitude will be a big one so try to get there a day or two early to acclimate. Get to lower ground if someone gets a headache, light headed, or other signs of altitude sickness. It's nothing to mess around with...

Especially in new country, make sure each guy has a radio so you can stay in touch. A GPS is a great investment, but not totally necessary...

Biggest thing though is to have fun regardless of how good or bad the hunting is....

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

It’s a great thought. But there are a thousand and two things to think through and it takes Herculean planning and effort to make it other than an uncomfortable fall camping trip. In the midst of a Colorado trailhead truck crowd,..three drainages over from the nearest elk.

But that shouldn’t automatically dissuade you, just put you at the proper starting point.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
An elk can be 4x the size of a big deer. Keep that in mind before you shoot one. Can you reasonably get it packed out from where you are? Guys have got themselves in trouble by shooting more than they can handle.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Play the old man gig to the hilt.

And give them plenty of advice on the proper method of packing your elk out……..

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
All good advice so far. Make sure everyone is prepared to put some miles on their boots, and get away from roads and trailheads if they want to be in elk. And make sure they're prepared to take apart an elk and pack out their meat a few miles with multiple trips. I've run into guys who have an animal down and aren't prepared, headed into town to look for someone with horses, you don't want to be "that guy."

And since they're whitetail hunters, impress upon them the differences between hunting elk and hunting whitetails, so they can understand why they need to adjust their tactics. It's not good enough to look for sign and set up, they need to keep moving until they find animals. A place can be eaten up with fresh sign and deer hunters will tend to want to set up and wait for elk to come to them but they need to know that elk range over much larger areas than whitetails, and they could be miles away from fresh sign.

And, good luck!!

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
A few years ago in WA, 3 hunters went into some hell hole in the Cascades where 1 of them shot a big bull. As they were dressing it, one of them died of a heart attack. It took rescuers 2 days to pack his body out of there. How long would it take for 3 of them to pack out an elk that's 4x bigger? Granted, the rescue team likely didn't bone out the dead guy.

― George Orwell

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Make sure each has a compass and a good map and knows how to use both. Each of them should have a good method for starting fire too. I like cotton swabs covered in Vaseline and a good fire steel.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
You didn't mention what weapon,
Have them practice off packs,shooting sticks,tree limbs,knees,You get the point.
While I'm far from an expert, having just went on a cow elk hunt ,I can say that it was far from the norm.
Best of luck to the lads and yourself

Pack frames?

Last edited by rong; 01/11/22.
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
From a flatlander:
Get in shape. Even some young guys can have a tough time at altitude.
Someone mentioned headlamps… climbing wet or snowy slopes is a bitch with a flashlight in one hand. Carry a spare headlamp with spare batteries too.
Carry game bags to put quarters in until they can be packed out. Even old pillow cases will work.
Carry plenty of water with you. Breathing a LOT harder at altitude will blow off a lot of water.
Carry an extra pair of socks to change at about midday. Helps prevent blisters.
Carry some moleskin for hot spots on your feet. If you know, by experience, you have spots on your feet that tend to blister, you can put the moleskin on before you start out for the day. I know one heel needs some on the outer side while the other needs it on the inside. The balls of both feet get a 1 1/2 X 1 1/2” square.
If you have two good pairs of boots, alternating each day will let the insides dry out.
Unlike whitetails, if the elk aren’t where you’re looking, they’re somewhere else. Don’t be afraid to move camp.
Learn some basic cow calls. They can be used as locator calls to see if there are any bulls in the area regardless of the status of the rut. If you stumble, a couple of cow calls can reassure any nearby elk. I’ve had them respond afte a stumble and it let me know they were around.
Did I say, get in shape? Every time I’ve hunted elk in Colorado I’ve wished I had worked out harder. At 9-10,000’ there’s only about half the oxygen available.
Have fun! I love hunting elk.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you live somewhere where there is an American Red Cross First Aid Training Facility, you and your young hunters should take advantage of it and attend First Aid classes. It is amazing how "little" injuries can occur which require some aid. A good First Aid kit should be in your supplies.

As others here have advised, be very aware of altitude sickness symptoms. It is serious business. Believe me, I know and contracted it in s.w. Colorado. Drink lots of water to help prevent it.

Good luck to you and your young hunters.

FWIW.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If filling a tag is at all critical to making this trip a success, I’d work on another plan.

W
WAM Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Ten Commandments of Elk Hunting

I. Thou shalt be in shape, for elk dwelleth not in the flatlands, nor where there is oxygen.

II. If thine ass resembleth 20 pounds of chewed bubble gum, bitter shall be thy lot.

III. Thou shalt not whine that the pace is too swift, or that thou cannot get thy breath, or that thou seeest stars, for thy guide shall care not, and mercy shall not be yours.

IV. Thou shalt not stuff thy pack with all manner of goods. Thou needst it not, and it shall do naught but rob thee of thy breath and turn thy knees to Jello.

V. Thou shalt not slam truck doors, nor speak above a whisper, nor tramp through the forests like the hosts of Gilead, for thou art in the backyard of thy foe the elk, and sharp are his senses, and he shall flee from thee.

VI. Thou shalt practice thy offhand shooting, for that may be the only shot that thou receivest.

VII. Thou shalt learn to shoot as swiftly as the hawk flieth, and thou shalt not fiddle-f*** with thy gear, nor adjust thy scope, nor set up thy bipod, for thou hast not time.

VIII. While the elk yet moveth, thou must shoot, for blessed is he who endeth the life quickly, and accursed is he who letteth an animal suffer for the sake of a one-shot kill.

IX. Strong must be thy bullet; all else is but the dung of horses.

X. The worst day thou shalt have hunting elk is better than the best day of whatever else thou doest.

By David Petzal

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Hike in, to your hunting area in the dark, hike out in the dark. Go high and glass long and hard. Late season elk are out in the AM, mid day and PM. Buy the best boots you can buy, sidehill walking takes a lot of ankle support. Be proficient with your rifle out to 400 yards. Bring enough rifle, they are not deer and do not always go down easy. Most elk killed are usually a mile from the nearest road. Elk hunting is a challenge, sometimes fun, most likely not. It, wears you out, and beats you up. They make noise, especially if they are in a herd, you can hear them from a long ways on a calm day. Pray for snow. I was on my first elk hunt in the late 50's and its been a lifelong adventure.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Everything that WAM wrote.

WAM, your post should be a sticky.........

Better yet, it started the day with a chuckle, thank you!

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
bring along a roll up plastic matt for cutting meat up, camp next to a stream or river , big cast Iron skillet, cookin oil ,big bag of onions ,20 lbs. of potatoes ,seasonings , lots of cans bush beans and do the camp meat thing. boys will have plenty to eat then , you could even make Bannick bread on the campfire . good luck enjoy your hunt ! Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Watch the ridgetops in the evening. Often a herd will move out of the timber into the open just before dark. If you see a herd, be there before light because more often than not they will still be there. I've got elk several times by doing that.

― George Orwell

J
Jim1611 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks again for the advice. I'm the only one on the group that has hunted elk. Much of what's been mentioned I've seen first hand. The altitude sickness is one of them. It can ruin a hunt or end much worse. That's one reason I told them we need to have camp set 3 days ahead of the opener. Every one of us has a pack frame in case we need to carry the meat out. I've skinned, deboned and butchered most everything we've killed in the past, elk included and with some extra help that goes pretty good. I'm 60 so out of this group I need more getting ready physically. These other guys are lean and tough but that don't always cut it out in the high country. 2 of them shoot .308s and one a .270. Handloads for all. I've always used my .300 weatherby but wouldn't hesitate to use the .270 either. It is well worth mentioning this isn't deer hunting. I learned that pretty quick. Thanks again for the great advice and well wishes!

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
No one has mentioned it,but hunting with an OTC tag in Colorado has become a circus. In the past three years hunter numbers have grown exponentially. I would apply for an elk tag for the 1st rifle season. Fourth season can be good too,but it takes a lot of equipment and warm clothes to get it done and chances of deep snow are real

Someone mentioned concentrating on getting an elk and then getting it out. IMO that is backwards. Have a solid plan on how you will get the meat out before you even leave camp. It may vary well determine the terrain and location of where you hunt. Killing an elk in some deep dark, blow down filled canyon may fill your tags, but you might not physically be able to pack the meat out or have an outfitter or get horses or mules to it.I have met too many hunters that think they are tough enough beg me to pack their elk out with my mules.

Be realistic. Success rate in Colorado hovers about 18-20 % for all elk killed, bulls,cows,calves. Be happy to tag one.Overjoyed to tag two.Even if none are tagged, it should be the greatest experience those young ones will have.

It doesn't matter too much what head stamp is on the cartridge each use, but select a bullet that will do the job and make sure everyone can put it where it should go.

If you are tent camping, be aware that fire bans might be in places. Have back up plans for heat in the tent ,
Everyone will give advice on how to hunt elk. Elk don't read those rules. There are no rules

Last edited by saddlesore; 01/12/22.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
J
Jim1611 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by saddlesore
No one has mentioned it,but hunting with an OTC tag in Colorado has become a circus. In the past three years hunter numbers have grown exponentially. I would apply for an elk tag for the 1st rifle season. Fourth season can be good too,but it takes a lot of equipment and warm clothes to get it done and chances of deep snow are real

Someone mentioned concentrating on getting an elk and then getting it out. IMO that is backwards. Have a solid plan on how you will get the meat out before you even leave camp. It may vary well determine the terrain and location of where you hunt. Killing an elk in some deep dark, blow down filled canyon may fill your tags, but you might not physically be able to pack the meat out or have an outfitter or get horses or mules to it.I have met too many hunters that think they are tough enough beg me to pack their elk out with my mules.

Be realistic. Success rate in Colorado hovers about 18-20 % for all elk killed, bulls,cows,calves. Be happy to tag one.Overjoyed to tag two.Even if none are tagged, it should be the greatest experience those young ones will have.

It doesn't matter too much what head stamp is on the cartridge each use, but select a bullet that will do the job and make sure everyone can put it where it should go.

If you are tent camping, be aware that fire bans might be in places. Have back up plans for heat in the tent ,
Everyone will give advice on how to hunt elk. Elk don't read those rules. There are no rules

I hadn't thought of the fire bans. Glad you mentioned that. I've been on 6 public land DIY hunts and one drop camp, all in Colorado. The drop camp was the biggest disappointment by far. The others were all great experiences with one of those hunts being a banner year for 5 of us filling tags. I've told these boys the chances are not all that great and we might not get a shot or even see elk. That doesn't seem to put a damper on them one bit. I know we're all going to brag on our grandsons but these fellows have earned any of that they get from me. Big thing is safety and having a good camp. I'm going to try very hard to get us into a place where we can see some elk. I've also got an added bonus allot of out of state hunters don't have. Friends that live out there and hunt allot. They are fanatical about it in some ways and are always happy to help me out. My hope is the bug bites them to spend time in the mountains and adding the extra bonus of hunting. To me a well planned and safe hunt do allot. Shoot I even enjoy the drive across Kansas!

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
You best get in shape, bring a 338 Win mag.

Get an elliptical machine, be able to hump it at least a couple of hours.

Last edited by hanco; 01/12/22.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Words of wisdom ^^^^^

😬🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
W
WAM Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
This^^^^^^^. Worked for my bull last year!

Prolly won’t work again…..

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
J
Jim1611 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Trust me they've been getting plenty of this! I've been telling them they have allot of work to do. LOL. They're all fine young fellows though and will pull their weight and then some.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Also if you are hunting on top of a saddle of a Mt and hear what sounds like a herd of cattle get closer. My first hunt I goofed up thinking they would just come up this saddle trail and I would shoot one. Still kicking myself that I could hear them a few hundred yards away in the timber and I stayed put and didn't get closer. First trip to Colorado was a bust many years ago, but I got a good education and finally got a bull in KY in 2018.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by moreammoplz
Also if you are hunting on top of a saddle of a Mt and hear what sounds like a herd of cattle get closer. My first hunt I goofed up thinking they would just come up this saddle trail and I would shoot one. Still kicking myself that I could hear them a few hundred yards away in the timber and I stayed put and didn't get closer. First trip to Colorado was a bust many years ago, but I got a good education and finally got a bull in KY in 2018.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I was bowhunting, walking along a trail a bit up from the bottom of a draw. There were cattle scattered up and down the draw and I was trying to get around them. There was a stand of trees and one of the cows was in there making a lot of racket in dry deadfall. I went into the trees without paying attention and kicked out a 5 point bull within 50 yards of the cattle.

― George Orwell

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
These are some very good commandments.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Remind them that the entire effort is about being a TEAM - from the smallest to largest task. I’d also plan some pre-hunt hikes (equipment checks) or even stairmasters at a local gym to hang out, sweat & suffer together. Don’t underestimate the power of cheerful suffering (in a fun way) before hand.

Mental condition is even more important. Advising a team It would be essential to make sure we set obtainable goals and build on small successes to minimize letdowns. If the mental side Is solid, my bet is that no matter the outcome all will bring home awesome memories & experience.

What an awesome opportunity to lead a few young bucks into this pursuit! Go get ‘em & share pics when you get back.

Off my soapbox.

Beretzs is right - those boys are gonna eat!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft
Mental condition is even more important. Advising a team It would be essential to make sure we set obtainable goals and build on small successes to minimize letdowns. If the mental side Is solid, my bet is that no matter the outcome all will bring home awesome memories & experience.

In my opinion, this is a big one ^^^^. They can be physically fit and think they are ready, but if they are not mentally tough and ready, this trip could be disappointing, and might become an ordeal for someone. It can be easy to feel snakebit, get discouraged, and want to just pack it in, if you are not finding elk or getting a shot even when you are pouring in the effort, but that is not often how you get elk. They may have to tough it out to the last afternoon.

Other important points are making sure they can find their way around, and back to where they need to be. You might be in pretty big area compared to the deer hunting areas to which they are accustomed. It is a different feeling, as confirmed by some with deer hunting only background I have taken after elk in CO, MT, and WY backcountry.

Do have a plan for getting meat out if/when successful. To bring back a discussion from a few years ago, it is not just distance, but elevation gain and loss when packing out meat that adds a lot to the effort needed. You will have a group, and if they all pitch in it will go easily. If it is just one or two guys, it becomes a lot of work, especially with mileage. Boning does reduce the load. For every trip it is 2X mileage, and often a lot of elevation gain and loss. They need to be prepared for that. At least in CO you don't have griz, so it may not be necessary to carry everyone's rifles in and out each trip. One tip: having a couple walking sticks, even if just branches picked up, can make the pack out easier by adding a little arm strength to the packing, but also helping to keep from rolling an ankle or twisting a knee under load. Not bucking a joint or falling under a load is a good thing. Possibly this sounds more important as we get older, but why ruin a joint at 20-something and pay for it for decades? Voice of experience...

Have a plan for getting gear dry if there is a fire ban and an open fire is the way you intended to stay warm and dry things out. Not sure what you have for tents and/or possibly wood stoves for heat. A stove sure makes a tent nicer in bad weather. A nice sheepherder's (collapsible) stove with a spark arrestor is normally allowed in the National Forest. There are also little buddy heaters,etc, though not as good.

If you are not hauling all your water, make sure you purify your drinking water to avoid gerardia or other issues.

A good first aid kit with not just Bandaids, but larger bandages, antibiotic, benedril, tweezers, eye wash, aspirin/advil/ibuprophen, A bit of quickclot could be a lifesaver that hopefully will never be needed. Also include a set of clear safety glasses for wood splitting, we have had near misses which could have ruined a trip. A box of nitrile gloves that can protect hands for many uses, including field dressing and quartering/boning. They save a lot of little nicks that can infect later. Needle and thread, plus patch material in case of torn clothing, as well as a big roll of Duct tape which can be used for a lot of stuff from bandages and splints to taping your boot back together or patching pants.

It sounds like it will be a great trip!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
WAM /Petzl commandments for the win!

I've taken alot first timers elk hunting in CO for the past 15 years or so. Here is the list of common issues I see in order:

1. Not being in adequate shape. It's really romantic to think you're gonna hunt over the next drainage, or even 2. You need to plan on a 2 hr hike, gaining 1-2000 feet elevation at 10,000+ feet. It is not good enough to simply get there. If it is a monumental effort just to get there you will not hunt every day plus, you won't be doing the 2-4 trips to get your 200 lbs of elk back to camp/trailhead. I tell guys - I don't care how good of shape you think you are in, it will still be hard.

2. Common gear issues: Boots. Many bulk at $3-400 boots. Many think they need 1000 grams insulation and then there zero understanding of sock systems. Sleeping bag. Seen people all over here. I've had people show up with a 40 degree bag their "buddy who elk hunts all the time" said would work in late October. I've seen a bunch of -20/-40 degree bags. A good zero degree bag works well - simply adjust for colder/warmer by the clothing you wear inside the bag. A $3-400 bag is a good investment. Jacket/coats. Especially whitetail guys, show up with Cabelas "system coats" that weigh 5 lbs and are waterproof in some way. They also tend to put all their clothes on when they step out of the tent. They are soaked within 1/2 mile of climbing.

3. Mentality. I see 2 common issues here. First thinking they will freeze to death when temps dip into the teens or single digits. Low humidity makes it not so cold. Second is the grind itself. Hiking and climbing steep slopes at high altitude day after day is hard. I find guys are good for about 2 days then they start hunting near camp/truck - with everybody else. And the elk have moved to hard to reach places - steep slopes or distance from everyone else.

These are things I concentrate on when planning for new guys each fall. Getting in shape is 10:1 the biggest issue.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
All good advice - good broken in boots, conditioning, practice shooting field positions long distance (we practice to 800 yards off packs & sticks makes 350 seem easy), OnX on all their phones and carry an extra battery charger in the pack, watch YouTube gutless method for elk several times, watch Randy Newberg not guys shooting 1000 yard shots to sell guns.

Had a new guy this year take some unnecessary climbing risks waiting until after dark to go down a strange steep slope on a scout - I got his next of kin information & made sure he knew a serious injury screwed up everyone’s hunt don’t be a selfish jerk.

Meat care is a big deal - get the hide off quickly & have bags to hang quarters in trees overnight a little away from the carcass, big coolers & ice to allow storage in camp to maximize hunting time.

Camp chores need to be shared assigned so the old guy cooking isn’t doing too much cleaning & wood chopping. Let them know past 60 you need to pace yourself they need to do the more physical stuff - good kids will already have that figured out but they may think you are invincible like they feel.

Make up lunches the night before A big ham for dinner early makes lots of lunch meat. Nutrient & calorie dense snacks jerky, nuts, cheese, trail mix hard to eat as much as you burn.

Repeat explanations of layering starting out too light and chilly is better than too warm & sweaty. Getting some good radios on the same channel & checking in every 2-4 hours is a good idea. Show them how to use a hiking stick bring or make them there one of my grandfathers best tips I’ll never forget.

H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^!!!

Great Suggestions!

To the Point!

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
J
Jim1611 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Yes it all has been excellent advice and it's a very much appreciated! The grandsons live in Minnesota and we're in Missouri. The other fellow lives near by. Mt grandsons will be here again this summer so we're going to have a lesson on putting the tent up. We shoot allot when they come here and not from the bench. They are as good or better than most hunters I know. They love work too and seem to think I need to just sit and watch while they do it all, I know that's rare.

There are some guys in the area that have pack horses/mules and I intend to get in touch with them before hand to see if I can get an elk packed out and what it cost. The cost isn't such a big deal after spending time myself in helping to pack meat out and the work involved. If we do have to pack it out I'd rather not carry the bones so we'll likely bone it out.

My choice for getting in better shape will be my bike. It's always been a big help in the past. I'm 60 though and not 25 anymore. I will pace myself and advice them to do the same. We also plan to hunt late October and by then some of the better hunting seems to be at lower elevations. The thin air is a tough go when you're not used to it.

My wall tent is 18'x21' from Bravo Tent. We'll have a good wood stove which I am getting material together to build, I do allot of fabricating in my business and would rather build it myself. Camp will be set where we can drive to it. I aim to have a warm dry camp and plenty of good food. I've been in lousy camps and it seems to make everything harder. That's why I bought my own tent. Ideally I'd like to camp in the National Forest and have close access to the Wilderness Area. I already have some locations in mind, I've been there before so it's not unfamiliar country to me. I want as many options as possible. We have a good group going. Everyone will pitch in and I see no reason we can't enjoy the time. Safety first!

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As long as they boys want to learn and have an understanding that they are rookies and need to listen to you who’s hunted elk before. They also need to be Willing to carry their own weight, such as Help around camp, set up, cook, clean or get fire wood.
I just took my daughters boyfriend elk hunting this last season. He’s never been any kind of hunting. Typical Soutern Cali boy. But he wanted to tag along with my daughter and experience elk camp.
I’d take him again as he never complained about anything , and he was Johnny on the spot when I needed him. The fact he had a good attitude even when we didn’t tag out made me appreciate he was there experiencing highs and low with my daughter and I.

Last edited by Dre; 01/18/22.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Maybe you have already considered this, but a little advice from experience on self-fabricated stoves: You might want to test it for smoke leaks well beforehand to make sure the stove does not fill the tent with smoke. A buddy built a stove for one of our trips to put in his little tent. The way he had the door open clear to the top of the stove allowed about half the smoke to come out the front at the door opening (with the door closed) rather than out the stovepipe. He also did not have a proper intake vent. The stove was so small that you could not move the fire back away from the door. It filled the tent with smoke. I did make a makeshift flange for it down over the front with a Coleman fuel can, but that didn't fully solve the problem. It made the stove considerably less useful. I would recommend studying available stoves for designs.

That is a nice looking tent. Will you have extra sleeping or gear storage tents? With cots up inside, and the need for space around a stove, a tent can shrink down smaller. You will need the stove away from the tent walls/ When you have it set up this summer it might be good to layout what will be inside it to check floor and movement space.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jaguar
Maybe you have already considered this, but a little advice from experience on self-fabricated stoves: You might want to test it for smoke leaks well beforehand to make sure the stove does not fill the tent with smoke. A buddy built a stove for one of our trips to put in his little tent. The way he had the door open clear to the top of the stove allowed about half the smoke to come out the front at the door opening (with the door closed) rather than out the stovepipe. He also did not have a proper intake vent. The stove was so small that you could not move the fire back away from the door. It filled the tent with smoke. I did make a makeshift flange for it down over the front with a Coleman fuel can, but that didn't fully solve the problem. It made the stove considerably less useful. I would recommend studying available stoves for designs.

That is a nice looking tent. Will you have extra sleeping or gear storage tents? With cots up inside, and the need for space around a stove, a tent can shrink down smaller. You will need the stove away from the tent walls/ When you have it set up this summer it might be good to layout what will be inside it to check floor and movement space.
No only self fabricated stoves. I had an Ed T backpacking stove. I had to run it wide open all the time because if I dampered it down it smoked like crazy around the chimney.

― George Orwell

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Every stove has its own personality. smirk

J
Jim1611 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Jaguar

We heat our house with wood quite a bit of the time so I understand where you're coming from on the smoke but it's a Vermont Casting model. Open the doors too fast before the flue is hot and you get some smoke. Have to open a window when starting a new fire sometimes too so it drafts. The stove door will have a fiberglass seal and I intend to make it as airtight as possible. I had in mind to keep the door lower to avoid the smoke when you open the door. Many of the commercial made stoves are wider than tall and mine is going to be 18" wide and tall so that in itself will give me more room above the door to keep the smoke in.

Bravo sells a cook shack that fits onto the front of my tent, enclosed too. I plan to order one before long. The entire roof will also be covered with a snow slide. Good idea on laying things out in the tent when we put it up. I plan to do that. I know too well how a poorly set up camp can make for a lousy hunt. My one and only drop camp had a wall tent set up in the Flat Tops and when we knocked the snow off from the inside we ended up with a 2 ft. rip in the roof, rotten canvas. No way to patch it either until some of his guys brought us back a cheap poly tarp a few days later. This is my first camp to be using my own equipment. I've seen many problems in the past that should have been avoided. As I'm sure you guys have too. That's another reason for my thread so I can miss out on as much grief as possible.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Yup, even a cheap poly tarp can save a lot of grief. We did not have that figured out yet when we nearly had a catastrophe. It was October, and having in the past hunted in dry late season snow that would just shake off, I didn't think a tarp was necessary, until one day...The snow was piling up on my shoulders as I walked along searching for elk. I started to get an uneasy feeling about camp, so I circled back in around noon. Good thing I did or we would have been homeless in a blizzard. The dome tent we had for extra sleeping was flat on the ground, and when I stepped into the wall tent it was like walking under a pregnant whale. The roof was bowed heavily under nearly 18 inches of heavy damp snow. Luckily the Eeena tent is well made and the seams didn't fail. After a bunch of pounding and scraping, and some heat to dry and shrink the canvas back, the tent got its shape back. Since then we have had a plastic tarp over the roof. In a more recent blizzard when we actually got snowbound, though, we had to shovel all the snow that had been knocked off the roof out away from the walls of the tent. It piled up so heavily against the walls it was pulling the tent down on itself. That was a trip.

I see you have a white tent, which is a lot better for light inside than the green canvas tents are. You get much better lighting from the reflection off white walls. To help that out, a clear poly tarp is good. But the poly gets torn up after a few years, so I recently got a white plastic tarp that I cut down to fit our tent. That sheds the snow and rain, and also lets light in.

There is always something that comes up in an camp. It helps to have a few tools, especially saws, a hand pushdrill, Duct tape, wire, paracord, a few pieces of 1x or 2x wood, and other raw materials for fixes. An abundance of fuel is also good; stove, lantern, and vehicle.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
One other thought for you is consider; some tarps for a floor. Your gear will stay a lot cleaner and the floor will stay drier. If you take a broom you can sweep it out to get rid of dirt and snow. But I would advise waxed cotton, not poly tarps as flooring. When wet, poly is very slick and slippery. If you get a spark on it it will melt through and could burn. Cotton tarps are not slick and they also give you time to get a spark out. You will still want a dirt/noncombustible floor under the stove itself though.

And, another thing to remember. You are likely to get snow. It could happen when you are out, or overnight. Make sure your whole party knows not to leave stuff on the ground wherever it falls. If you get snow, you may never find it again. Stuff should be put away where it can be easily found. Every time.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Ph uck floors and housekeeping. a scrap of carpet to stand on by your cot, while you get dressed, and don't worry about muddy/snowy boots and playing little Miss Merry Maid......

Last edited by huntsman22; 01/17/22.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Ph uck floors and housekeeping.

I disagree. "Fùck" is not spelled with "ph."

And what's your beef with housekeepers?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Smokepole,

You would be welcome to stop by camp for a slice of homemade pie.

Have to admit us decrepit older, on-foot hunters do like a few creature comforts like heat, dry clothing, and good food as we recharge from a day of elevation gains, deadfall, and busting timber. But who knew it was so controversial to want dry socks on my previously frozen feet as I light the wood stove, start coffee/breakfast, and light lanterns before I can get my boots thawed to put them on? In this country, floor tarps are not uncommon.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
When I get back to camp, I kick off my boots and put on a comfy pair of Crocs. They're waterproof except for the holes so a bit of snow or mud doesn't make much difference. I have wool socks on under them anyway.

― George Orwell

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'm with you there jaguar!!

Don't mind huntsman, he's one a them old cowboys, likes to sleep on the ground and stuff.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lots of good advice, as mentioned earlier the gutless method is your friend. I don't use game bags, a boned out quarter will fit in a cheap WalMart pillow case, 6 pillowcases will hold quarters, backstraps & neck meat.

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
TAG

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Check your PMs

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

J
Jim1611 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by KC

Check your PMs

I did. Thanks for all that info too!

C
C
navlav8r above pretty much summs it.l would suggest a packable down jacket in your backpack.That last 2 hr of sitting gets cold.Also a good GPS and maps.After 35 without missing a year of tent and camper hunting in colorado and Montana the older l get (68) l like my toyhauler more.Tell the guys walk slow and watch and cow call intermittently while walking and sitting.Good luck.Hope you have as much fun as my son,friends and l have had for years.l have always gone unguided and we have our share of elk under our belt.My son started at 12yrs old with a .270 win to tag a 360 class 6X6 with one shot.He then stole my .338 win mag and never looked back.

we are all flawed,some way more than others.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
" the older l get (68) l like my toyhauler more." I'm glad I'm not the only one...

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by cranium
navlav8r above pretty much summs it.l would suggest a packable down jacket in your backpack.That last 2 hr of sitting gets cold. Also a good GPS and maps.After 35 without missing a year of tent and camper hunting in colorado and Montana the older l get (68) l like my toyhauler more.Tell the guys walk slow and watch and cow call intermittently while walking and sitting.Good luck.Hope you have as much fun as my son,friends and l have had for years.l have always gone unguided and we have our share of elk under our belt.My son started at 12yrs old with a .270 win to tag a 360 class 6X6 with one shot.He then stole my .338 win mag and never looked back.
If you use a map program like OnX on your phone, it might pay to carry a power pack to recharge the phone. That aforementioned 2 last hours of sitting and playing solitaire can really drain the battery and leave you having to resort to a primative compass and paper map for the hike out.

― George Orwell

J
Jim1611 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by cranium
navlav8r above pretty much summs it.l would suggest a packable down jacket in your backpack.That last 2 hr of sitting gets cold.Also a good GPS and maps.After 35 without missing a year of tent and camper hunting in colorado and Montana the older l get (68) l like my toyhauler more.Tell the guys walk slow and watch and cow call intermittently while walking and sitting.Good luck.Hope you have as much fun as my son,friends and l have had for years.l have always gone unguided and we have our share of elk under our belt.My son started at 12yrs old with a .270 win to tag a 360 class 6X6 with one shot.He then stole my .338 win mag and never looked back.

Thanks guys.
I have been thinking of something to pack for when I stop. I'll mention this to the boys too. I love wool but it's kinda bulky for fitting inside a daypack. Barring anyone getting hurt or sick I think we'll have a great time.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
If you spend much time sitting in cold weather, a piece of ensolite, maybe 6x10" or so, to sit on will really help keep you warmer, not to mention more comfortable. Sitting on cold ground pulls a lot of heat out of your tail. Your weight compresses the insulation so your body heat goes right through it.

― George Orwell

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Elk hunting, I always have a 650 fill down jacket in my pack for emergencies, some kind of ear and face covering as well, along with my first aid and "possibles" kit. I seldom wear it, but when I hold still the down is very welcome. Pretty much otherwise all I wear is layers of wool, and they have served me well over decades. True, wool is not compactable, but that is why I have some pieces of paracord on the outside of my pack, and also my pack expands larger than I normally need so when I am climbing rapidly (especially in the early morning) I can shed layers to keep from getting really soaked. When I get to where I am sneaking again, I re-layer. An ensolite pad can work well, but I find myself sitting on my pack as the only available dry spot, and it gets me in a better sitting position for shooting should an opportunity crop up. But then I am not as flexible as I once was.

A couple other notes, although many packs say "waterproof" they never are, and pack covers can be less than effective and annoying. The simple expedient of a garbage bag inside your pack can keep that down and the rest of your gear dry even if you get a fall rain. A few contractor bags in the bottom of your pack can provide emergency shelter/rain poncho and a place to keep meat clean. Time tested.

And, when you go back to pack meat, don't leave your emergency gear in camp. Things can happen, weather can arrive, something may delay you until after dark, injury, etc.. It is a little extra weight to carry back and forth, but someone ought to have that even if you are "just packing meat".

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
And, when you go back to pack meat, don't leave your emergency gear in camp. Things can happen, weather can arrive, something may delay you until after dark, injury, etc.. It is a little extra weight to carry back and forth, but someone ought to have that even if you are "just packing meat".
Very true. When you're carrying weight, your balance is off and injuries are more likely to happen. Even if you don't use them when hunting, packing meat is a good time to break out the trekking poles.

― George Orwell

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Some very good things for new hunters to learn is the use of maps and compass. When you know for sure where you are going to be hunting, get 7.5 minute series maps of your area and take some time when you get there to familiarize yourselves with the land and the maps. All the young ones need to know the land and the corresponding maps. Some say "they will be with me so they don't need to" Not good! You see, they need to LEARN and that's some of the best part of teaching young hunters. So make that part of the hunt. The Rocky Mountains are not forgiving and from a very young age it's good for outdoorsmen to know and understand where to go and where not to. Map and compass are your friends.

Small things to have them carry that are "worth pure gold" when you need them are
Swiss Army Knife
Hat with a bill or rim.
Sun glasses
Road flare (emergency fore making, in addition to standard matches)
Plastic Police whistle. Plastic is better if it's very scold then metal.
Pack saw. (note, many folder today are not string in the hinge. Get GOOD ones)
Eze-Lap Knife Sharpener
Chap-sticks (good for dry hands too)
Water and water purifiers, so in some cases you can drink what you find if your bottles runs dry
Toilet paper.
20-30 feet of light strong rope per pack.

When I was in the Marines I taught my men the "survival pattern". It serves as well to a hunter as it does for a US Marine.

The foundations are:
Weapons.
First Aid
Fire
Shelter (including clothing)
Signal(communications)
food/water

If at all possible plan to get there 4 days early. Missouri is lower in altitude and once you get to 5000-10,000 feet above sea level you will find no amount of working out will prepare you for that much altitude. Only "light duty" over a few days can acclimate your body to a 1-2 mile change in altitude. Go slowly at first and let your bodies get used to the thinner air. Acute altitude sickness is no joke.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
This has probably already been mentioned, but DON'T BRING NEW BOOTS! You'll be doing LOTS of walking under sometimes heavy loads, and you NEED boots that are well worn-in.

Second, I always take a roll of bright yellow caution tape. Use it to mark the elk's location (and maybe a few spots along the way) if you will need to make multiple trips to get all the meat out - especially if you need to leave it overnight.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (06hunter59, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 1moredeer, 160user, 10Glocks, 49 invisible), 2,306 guests, and 1,185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,398
Posts18,470,039
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.