Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Jim1611 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by cranium
navlav8r above pretty much summs it.l would suggest a packable down jacket in your backpack.That last 2 hr of sitting gets cold.Also a good GPS and maps.After 35 without missing a year of tent and camper hunting in colorado and Montana the older l get (68) l like my toyhauler more.Tell the guys walk slow and watch and cow call intermittently while walking and sitting.Good luck.Hope you have as much fun as my son,friends and l have had for years.l have always gone unguided and we have our share of elk under our belt.My son started at 12yrs old with a .270 win to tag a 360 class 6X6 with one shot.He then stole my .338 win mag and never looked back.

Thanks guys.
I have been thinking of something to pack for when I stop. I'll mention this to the boys too. I love wool but it's kinda bulky for fitting inside a daypack. Barring anyone getting hurt or sick I think we'll have a great time.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
If you spend much time sitting in cold weather, a piece of ensolite, maybe 6x10" or so, to sit on will really help keep you warmer, not to mention more comfortable. Sitting on cold ground pulls a lot of heat out of your tail. Your weight compresses the insulation so your body heat goes right through it.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Elk hunting, I always have a 650 fill down jacket in my pack for emergencies, some kind of ear and face covering as well, along with my first aid and "possibles" kit. I seldom wear it, but when I hold still the down is very welcome. Pretty much otherwise all I wear is layers of wool, and they have served me well over decades. True, wool is not compactable, but that is why I have some pieces of paracord on the outside of my pack, and also my pack expands larger than I normally need so when I am climbing rapidly (especially in the early morning) I can shed layers to keep from getting really soaked. When I get to where I am sneaking again, I re-layer. An ensolite pad can work well, but I find myself sitting on my pack as the only available dry spot, and it gets me in a better sitting position for shooting should an opportunity crop up. But then I am not as flexible as I once was.

A couple other notes, although many packs say "waterproof" they never are, and pack covers can be less than effective and annoying. The simple expedient of a garbage bag inside your pack can keep that down and the rest of your gear dry even if you get a fall rain. A few contractor bags in the bottom of your pack can provide emergency shelter/rain poncho and a place to keep meat clean. Time tested.

And, when you go back to pack meat, don't leave your emergency gear in camp. Things can happen, weather can arrive, something may delay you until after dark, injury, etc.. It is a little extra weight to carry back and forth, but someone ought to have that even if you are "just packing meat".

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
And, when you go back to pack meat, don't leave your emergency gear in camp. Things can happen, weather can arrive, something may delay you until after dark, injury, etc.. It is a little extra weight to carry back and forth, but someone ought to have that even if you are "just packing meat".
Very true. When you're carrying weight, your balance is off and injuries are more likely to happen. Even if you don't use them when hunting, packing meat is a good time to break out the trekking poles.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Some very good things for new hunters to learn is the use of maps and compass. When you know for sure where you are going to be hunting, get 7.5 minute series maps of your area and take some time when you get there to familiarize yourselves with the land and the maps. All the young ones need to know the land and the corresponding maps. Some say "they will be with me so they don't need to" Not good! You see, they need to LEARN and that's some of the best part of teaching young hunters. So make that part of the hunt. The Rocky Mountains are not forgiving and from a very young age it's good for outdoorsmen to know and understand where to go and where not to. Map and compass are your friends.

Small things to have them carry that are "worth pure gold" when you need them are
Swiss Army Knife
Hat with a bill or rim.
Sun glasses
Road flare (emergency fore making, in addition to standard matches)
Plastic Police whistle. Plastic is better if it's very scold then metal.
Pack saw. (note, many folder today are not string in the hinge. Get GOOD ones)
Eze-Lap Knife Sharpener
Chap-sticks (good for dry hands too)
Water and water purifiers, so in some cases you can drink what you find if your bottles runs dry
Toilet paper.
20-30 feet of light strong rope per pack.

When I was in the Marines I taught my men the "survival pattern". It serves as well to a hunter as it does for a US Marine.

The foundations are:
Weapons.
First Aid
Fire
Shelter (including clothing)
Signal(communications)
food/water

If at all possible plan to get there 4 days early. Missouri is lower in altitude and once you get to 5000-10,000 feet above sea level you will find no amount of working out will prepare you for that much altitude. Only "light duty" over a few days can acclimate your body to a 1-2 mile change in altitude. Go slowly at first and let your bodies get used to the thinner air. Acute altitude sickness is no joke.

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
This has probably already been mentioned, but DON'T BRING NEW BOOTS! You'll be doing LOTS of walking under sometimes heavy loads, and you NEED boots that are well worn-in.

Second, I always take a roll of bright yellow caution tape. Use it to mark the elk's location (and maybe a few spots along the way) if you will need to make multiple trips to get all the meat out - especially if you need to leave it overnight.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (160user, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 257 mag, 1936M71, 06hunter59, 51 invisible), 2,643 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,781
Posts18,477,104
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.