Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Oh hell no. I would have stayed with the Schwinn.

kinda hard to get pussy on a Schwinn...

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
GB1

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by add
Originally Posted by hunter4623
Stopped at an RV dealer today to put a deposit on a trailer. Saw this and wondered how many of you had one of these

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]w motors wallpaper

A stuffed lion?

The place is called Leo’s RV. I guess that’s a tip of the hat to the name

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
hunter4623;
Good evening to you sir, I trust the day was a decent one for you and this finds you warm, well and dry.

While we didn't have one of them exactly, the neighbor farmer down the road - Wilbert - had one of these.

[Linked Image from barnfinds.com]

We were about 45 miles from the nearest hospital out there and one night in February when I managed to have the car I was working on drop on me, that thing saved my life.

It wasn't plugged in and it had to be -40° that night, but they called Wilbert, it miraculously started and he brought it over where my brother and cousin had cut a sheet of plywood and slid me onto it.

Then they put the plywood and me into the back of that Country Squire and my brother drove me to the hospital.

Anyways, I've told that story here before and apologize for being reflective, but the short version is that while I came close to crossing over that night and truly for the next 10 days wasn't firmly staying here, I obviously made it.

That's my story about the one and only time I rode in the back of a woody station wagon, again not a conception story and sorry for that.

All the best to you this week.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
1959 Mercury Colony Park

Say hello to the king of the 50’s station wagons.

Fear the crabcat.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
We never had one. The people up the street had a Ford wagon. I rode to school with red haired Debbie in her families wagon or she rode with me in my parents Mercury. Good times.

IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Would have loved one of these. Suicide doors and a couch![Linked Image]

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Oh hell no. I would have stayed with the Schwinn.

kinda hard to get pussy on a Schwinn...

I have faith in ya Rog! laugh

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My lion scared too many kids so we got rid of it.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had the 54 Chev version - from 1961 through 1968. Got it used during senior year in college after we had our first daughter and took it west. Put our own 100k on it - rebuilt the engine once.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
when i was a teenager in 1977.Dad bought a 1972 Country Squire ,had a 429 4 barrel ,..passed everything but a gas pump

NRA Life Member
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep, that’s all mom drove. Our ‘56 Country Squire started out buckskin brown, but after a few years of the sun working on it, the thing turned pink. I remember telling mom to drop me off a couple blocks away from school so I wouldn’t be seen in that thing. In ‘64 dad told mom to go buy a new wagon and sure enough a red wood gain Country Squire. Trouble is that she darn near bought three of them because she kept getting a better deal at the three Ford dealerships in town! Dad had to go cancel the orders. 289 with three on the tree.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by drover
I had a 1955 Ranch Wagon which started a never ending love for the practicality of the station wagon - of course they no longer make station wagons because they are not cool. People who would never be seen in a station wagon are cool when they drive a SUV. DUH!!!

drover

I long got a kick out of that. When I was a young man, station wagons lost their cool even though they were very practical. I guess that practical wasn't cool. Now many of the 'cool' guys drive renamed station wagons and consider them cool. I have a Toyota Highlander myself.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

My older Brother had a '49 "woody" wagon in about 1967, that he tried to sell me for $40.

Sure wish I would have bought it, AND kept it all these years!

Virgil B.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Didn’t have one that old, but dad’s saddest day was when they stopped making full size wagons. The lineup include such classics as a 72 baby blue Ford, a 77 champagne LTD II wagon, an 84 turd brown Olds Custom Classic and a 92 blue w/wood Buick Road Monster that lasted until 2003. That’s all I knew growing up. Drove the LTD in high school, dubbed it ‘the hearse’.

Old70

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Early 80s bought a 64 Chevy Impala station wagon from the original owners. All the.paperwork, even the window sticker. 90,000 miles, no rust. 327 four barrel, dual exhausts, every other option available, even a chrome Kleenex holder. Loved to stoplight drag with it, an old wagon whupping hot cars. Had a mechanic check out the powerglide transmission. He said it looked like new in there. Hell for stout.

Used it for camping by folding down the seats. Once.took it from I17 to Pine Mountain by the Verde River, A long and sometimes grueling dirt road maybe 30-40 miles.

Anyways, categorize this as a boomer reminiscing about younger days and good times.

PS! Prior to the Chevy, bought a neighbor's 1972 Olds Vista Cruiser with a 455 and all the.goodies for $100 because it wouldn't run. Had sat for a year and only had 49,000 miles on it. Turns out it had a bad rod bearing after taking the engine apart. Had the rod reground, cleaned up the crankshaft myself and put the engine back together. Started it up and it still knocked! A lot of work for nothing!

Later, found.A low miles motor out of a sedan from the same year, the old people owners had been in an accident. Bought the motor for $140. Rented a motor puller for 4 hours, and with the help of my dad, yanked it and installed it and had the motor puller back within the time limit.

Car ran great, interior cleaned up like new, however the fake wood decals on the sides of the exterior were fading and starting to peel. Took it for a drive with the family, up I17 to Camp Verde, them up to the rim. Stopped in Payson to get gas. Checked the oil and it was milky and overful. Decided to just go for it the 90 miles home to Phoenix. Called the.Olds.repair dept, talked to the head guy and he said it was the aluminum p!ate between the.waterpump and the block. Bought one and replaced it. There were pinholes in the old plate. The wife drove it with the kids but we eventually sold it primarily because it only got 7mpg. Then came the Chevy.

Old guy, old guns.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Here's ours.........................1963 Nova fully restored...............It's a beauty.[img]http://[/img]

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I had a '59 Ford Fairlane wagon in college but it wasn't a woody.

[Linked Image from i.ytimg.com]

You sure that isn’t a 57?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Station wagons are definately a thing of the past. My father had a 1962 Falcon wagon, with a set of bull horns on front, and a "loud" air horn under the hood.

Why do I have to press 1, for English?
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

214 members (12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 1eyedmule, 2UP, 17 invisible), 1,672 guests, and 1,010 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,800
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.