Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
I have told, hear and read of hunters making great shots on critters both near and far.
But I for one have also missed some both near and a ways out there.
Perhaps I’m not alone?
I’m guessing that this might be the shortest thread ever on the site😀

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I have missed with bow and gun. (Yes, gun; shot for birds and slugs for deer.)

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
My jackass shots are inevitably when there are witnesses around. Came home from work one day wife is pointing and screaming up the ridge, kids hollering and pointing, dogs running around in circles barking, I look up and see the buck of my lifetime bedded about 380 yards away up there. Grabbed the rifle on the back porch, fired four closely spaced shots at the trophy, he calmly got up and walked into history. Oh the shame of it.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Yeah. I have a couple doozy’s as well.

Not a miss but I shot a small bull on the top of the mountain in Oregon. Snow was blinding me and the herd was out in the open. 420 yards with my 338. Knew my elevation hold but never thought about the blazing wind blowing my hat off and snow in my eyes. Well first shot knocked him down but he popped back up. I said to myself “self, you’re dumb, the damned wind is blowing like hell”.

Second shot I finished up the small rodeo once he cleared some cows.

I believe I learned from that.

I had a good buck I’d been hunting all season. Finally got a chance during our ML season. Buck steps out at 268. Well, funny me my data was on my phone since I changed my load up a little before season and I hadn’t made a new dope chart. Problem was when I pulled my phone out to check the dope. Phone was dead. I knew my 200 yard dope so I spun to it and held on his back.

Nope. Not a chance. Beautiful buck was gone before I was settled from the recoil. Looked and looked. Never touched him. Snow made seeing my disappointment in the lack of blood that much easier.

I’d been shooting that rifle out to 300 and 400 all year. I was just too lazy to print or write down my darned data.

Oh well. He popped back up on the cams shortly after so maybe my brother and I will get another try at him.

Semper Fi
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
if you haven't missed or worse you haven't hunted very long.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by rost495

That is a fact, missed a giant bobcat about 60 yards away a few years ago. I had bobcat fever.

Last edited by hanco; 01/12/22.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Definitely mis-directed a few in my day - the bad results have made me a more patient & deliberate shot

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
A big kudu in Africa. I wanted one more than any other game. I must have lifted my head to see him fall. He was less than 100 yards..

Molon Labe
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by rost495

+1 specially early in hunting when you got more excited

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
IC B3

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Missed the first buck I saw in the woods. He came walking through the woods about 75 yards away and when I shot, he ran off. I walked over to where he was and no blood, hair, no nothing. Went back to my stand and back to where he was and finally I saw a bullet hole in a tree at just about chest height on a deer. He had walked behind the tree just as I shot. Dammit!

That was before I’d made enough money to put a scope on my 243. I’ve done pretty well in the 55 or so years since then.

Last edited by navlav8r; 01/12/22.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I missed a few first shots at deer as a young hunter. I wasn't good at range estimation and had little understanding of ballistics. Invariably I would shoot high, thinking I needed to allow for drop while I was well within PB range of my .270 Win.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
A friend invited me to join him and six other guys on their annual muzzle loader season hunt in eastern Ohio. After missing on six easy shots from about 40 - 80 yards I finally connected with a decent buck, although I had to track him back to his bed for a finishing shot. I had run out of loads and had to bum one from one of the guys for the finishing shot. My friend had been talking up what a good shot I was, and it was embarrassing to have missed so many. I took a good bit of ribbing from the guys as you can imagine. When I got home and was getting ready to clean the rifle, I through it up to my shoulder and looked out the window. I noticed that the crosshair wasn't centered, and while still looking, it disappeared down to the bottom of the bell. I felt better after that, but it didn't stop the guys from giving me grief the following years.

Member:
NRA
Ohio Gun Collectors Association
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Yep, I've had my share of misses and a couple poorly placed shots. Only a couple of each in my life, thank goodness.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by NVhntr
I missed a few first shots at deer as a young hunter. I wasn't good at range estimation and had little understanding of ballistics. Invariably I would shoot high, thinking I needed to allow for drop while I was well within PB range of my .270 Win.

This describes me and my first .270 exactly.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have made some spectacular shots.
Some good.
Some not.

Have even set off 2 rodeos, that if they were how things normally go,
Would make me quit hunting.

Distinctly remeber looking at a cow elk at about 125 yards and thinking,
"You are mine".

Broadside, in a meadow.
She went down hard.
After the second shot.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have missed with everything I have. This year however I took two shots and got two deer.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’m very proficient and confident, both in myself and rifle setups at distances from a field rest.

I absolutely suck at off hand shots when the animal is either standing still or running farther than 100 yards.

I don’t practice offhand shooting, so I should suck at it....I’ve missed several deer, coyotes, and ground squirrels off hand.

🤦‍♀️🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
When I was in my teens I was pretty good offhand fifty yards and in. There is no telling how many thousand offhand shots I took with my spring piston air rifle that was as large and similar in weight to a centerfire rifle. Now, forty years later, not so much.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Missed one deer with a 30-30 when I was about 14.
Just this year my buddy gut shot a deer, so I opened up on it while it was at a dead sprint. I hit it once in the ass and once in the neck, oops.
I have missed a lot of squirrels, a lot of woodcocks and pats, and a few crows that were too far for my rifle shooting ability.

Have not yet missed a deer with a scoped rifle, but I have made some high shoulder shots that were definitely not meant to be high shoulder shots.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 1lessdog, 222Sako, 21, 12344mag, 61 invisible), 2,428 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,412
Posts18,470,461
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.