Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Scott F
Originally Posted by Bootsfishing
What is the one word that is the same in any language? Anyone?

Amen.

But "amen" is a Hebrew word. Sort of. Actually, a Hebrew acronym. It comes from the first letters of the phrase "El melech ne'eman," or "God is a faithful king." Taken simply as a word, it doesn't really have any meaning of its own, any more than the "word" SCOTUS does. It connotes things, of course, but it doesn't denote anything.

Is "SCOTUS" English? If it is, then "amen" is Hebrew.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DPole
Thanks for the advice, but you know nothing about me or my religious training.

Nothing other than what you make painfully obvious by what you post.

If you can't have a friendly conversation on the subject, then I suspect you are one of the herd.

I tried being friendly. It would have been more amusing simply to silently watch you continue.

And speaking of amusing...you suspect I'm one of the herd? Hmm...you're not from around here, are you?

Now, do you have anything constructive to add?

Constructive compared to what?

To you?

[rolls eyes]

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Is there even one single solitary happening (particularly in modern times - as they are more likely to be able to be adequately reviewed and investigated) where this SINGLE SOLITARY event can not be explained by science? Or conversely - is there anything appening these days that could only be attributed to God?

Yes. Me. I was healed of pneumonia. Instantly, completely, miraculously. It came about by prayer and God answered. It started at the bottom of my chest and felt like a gigantic belch as it moved upwards to my throat. It took me 2 days to cough up all that crud, but the fever, congestion, etc were gone in the 1 second it took for God to perform the miracle.

Dick

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Now calm down Barak ..... remember the greatest comandment ... example my brother example.... (Grin)

Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other the person to die ......

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Gus
some folks always taught that we're struggling along only two DNA coils. they think in a more perfected world, there would have been three.

I hadn't heard about that one. Can you elaborate a bit, or maybe give me a pointer?

For example, the double-helix version of DNA has nucleotides with two ends, one to fasten to each helix. In a triple-helix version, would each nucleotide somehow have three ends, or would each nucleotide still attach to only two of the three helices?

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Now calm down Barak ..... remember the greatest comandment ... example my brother example.... (Grin)

Hmm...you mean, "Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you?"

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Is there even one single solitary happening (particularly in modern times - as they are more likely to be able to be adequately reviewed and investigated) where this SINGLE SOLITARY event can not be explained by science? Or conversely - is there anything appening these days that could only be attributed to God?

Yes. Me. I was healed of pneumonia. Instantly, completely, miraculously. It came about by prayer and God answered. It started at the bottom of my chest and felt like a gigantic belch as it moved upwards to my throat. It took me 2 days to cough up all that crud, but the fever, congestion, etc were gone in the 1 second it took for God to perform the miracle.

Dick

and that reminds me of a cousin of mine that was told by the scientific docters she shouldn't have children and would live not longer than two years with her newly diognosed lukemia ...... that was 20 some odd years ago ... there is NO SIGN of the disease and she and her husband has a twenty something old daughter!

Hallelujah!

Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other the person to die ......

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nope, don't know you, just the pompousness with how you have adressed me here. Reminds me of a religious zealot I once knew.

Now if you disagree with what I wrote, how about adressing the subject matter of what I wrote, instead of trying to lay that "You are beneath me so just shut up" crap on me.

There are many copies.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Barak
[Hmm...you mean, "Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you?"

Yes, another gracious christian-like post. Maybe man created god, then god created evil; which sprung forth from the mouths of the herd, believeing it to be god's wisdom.

There are many copies.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nope, don't know you, just the pompousness with how you have adressed me here.

Pot...kettle...you do the math.

Now if you disagree with what I wrote, how about adressing the subject matter of what I wrote

For heaven's sake, why? I have all the time in the world for seekers, for people with earnest questions. I also have time for folks with differing opinions from whom I can learn something. But you? You're not seeking. You're not earnest. You're only interested in creating disruption and making fun of people you don't agree with.

I have no time for you.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
but even if you don't get caught, the gods know what you did and will punish you. That's right, you will burn in hell, the place that is worse than anything you can think of.

My God doesn't send someone to hell to punish them. I have committed many sins in my life, but they will be forgiven through the blood of my Savior, Jesus Christ. It's my choice to go to heaven or hell, not His.

In fact, they may not like the fact that you think Christ is the son of God. Might even kill you for it.
I would accept that fate joyfully. After all, He died for me. I would be blessed to do the same for Him.

Even nice Christians say that if you don't believe in Christ, you are doomed to never go to heaven. Why on earth do all these various religions have the right to doom all the others. Sounds somewhat snobbish to me. How about someone who never heard of Christians? Does your God doom them for their lack of knowledge?
If you don't believe in God or any of this stuff, what do you care what others say?

However, please don't draw and quarter me because I don't take it all as "gospel." smile
Don't worry... in the end, it's God's job to sort it all out, not mine. God gave you free will, and you have every right to choose to reject Him. God's got other jobs for me to do at the moment...

Penny

Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. --Hebrews 11:1
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

Dick

and that reminds me of a cousin of mine that was told by the scientific docters she shouldn't have children and would live not longer than two years with her newly diognosed lukemia ...... that was 20 some odd years ago ... there is NO SIGN of the disease and she and her husband has a twenty something old daughter!

Hallelujah!

I have one also... (Actually, I have many... but I will limit myself to one right now.) Long story short, I was at a retreat out in the country. It was spring and the weather had been warm, so all I had brought with me were shorts and shirts, with one sweatshirt for warmth. After the evening's group activities were over, I wandered down by a pond and sat down on the ground, ready to spend some time talking with God. It was about 11:30 pm, so of course it was dark out. The temperature had dropped noticeably after dark, and now a wind had sprung up. I was shivering as I sat by the pond... my sweatshirt wasn't much help against the cold, and did nothing for my bare legs. The trees and bushes around the pond bent in the wind, and I could see little ripples on the surface of the pond. I remember praying, "God, I'd really like to stay here and pray right now, but I can't seem to think of anything but the cold. Please help me with this, so that I don't have to go back inside. I want to stay out here and talk to you." And lo and behold, the wind stopped. Absolutely stopped. So abruptly that it sort of frightened me. I opened my eyes and looked around me. The trees and bushes were still moving in the wind, and there were still ripples on the surface of the pond. But no wind touched me. It was as though God had put me in some sort of protective bubble. I continued with many prayers of thanks, praise, and worship... and I stayed there for about another hour, no longer cold.

Penny

Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. --Hebrews 11:1
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Only evil around at the moment is the continuation of this thread.

(grin)

Spot

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Rosie O'Donnell created evil...thought I'd get the O'Donnell thing out of the way. Now back to our regular program...

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
If you mean hate - I'd have to say Rosie is a good "roll" model.

hehehehe.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Gus
some folks always taught that we're struggling along only two DNA coils. they think in a more perfected world, there would have been three.

I hadn't heard about that one. Can you elaborate a bit, or maybe give me a pointer?

For example, the double-helix version of DNA has nucleotides with two ends, one to fasten to each helix. In a triple-helix version, would each nucleotide somehow have three ends, or would each nucleotide still attach to only two of the three helices?

unfortunately, i plead ignorance. i don't even know enough to be considered dangerous in relation to this concept.

when posting last night, the memory popped up about having read about multiple DNA strands beyond the double helix, and i felt the need to post that comment here.

a woman, maybe back in the 1990's wrote a book about the subject. was kinda non-mainstream stuff. but, seems like that the hypothesis was that the double strand allowed enough info for us to get by as biological beings with a bit of mental and spirituality that we all have in various degrees. beyond that, a "fully restored" structure would consist of 12 strands.........

probably pretty farout, and likely unproven........but anyways, hope that helps.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[quote=Barak You're not seeking. You're not earnest. You're only interested in creating disruption and making fun of people you don't agree with.

[/quote]

As I thought. You don't have a clue. You are wrong again. I was just discussing possibilities and explaining my comments to the lady. As for "making fun of ...", you are the dirtbag who threw down on ME with that disgusting holier than thou crappy attitude. Disruptive? If you don't have the fortitude, courage, or intelligence to grasp my thoughts and opinions, maybe its you who should stay quiet. You are not acting like a Christian. Christ believed in love, kindness and humble acts. Get with the dance or get off the dance floor.
Your piousness has stagnated you. Good luck with that. smile

There are many copies.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Barak's Womn
If you don't believe in God or any of this stuff, what do you care what others say?

Penny

Penny,
I do believe in a supreme being, just not in organized religions. Maybe someday you can grasp that without insult.
Good day.

There are many copies.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Did God create Evil?

Isaiah 45:7: "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things."

Actually, I don't agree that evil is the absence of God. Evil is neither the absence of good nor the opposite of good: instead, evil is spoiled good. Nobody does evil simply because it's evil and he wants to do something evil. People do evil because they're pursuing something that from their viewpoint is good, but the pursuit is misbegotten or misdirected in some way. Hitler didn't kill the Jews because killing Jews was evil: he killed the Jews in order to advance the agenda of the Aryan race, which from his perspective was a good thing.

That's the problem with dualism, which holds that good and evil are merely opposite sides of the same coin--equal and opposite forces, so to speak. You can at least theoretically have good without evil, but you can't even theoretically have evil without good, since the motivation behind evil is an attempt to do or get something good. Evil isn't a thing that's on the same conceptual level as good but oriented in the opposite direction: it's fundamentally inferior to good.

So if good is necessary for evil to exist, and good is defined by the will of God, then you can't have evil without God.

I disagree. Some people do evil intentionally and deliberately. They are lashing out at those who they imagine have done them an injustice and they want to retaliate. They also do evil to defy others for defiance's sake regardless of the conswequences.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
DPole,
I appreciate this latest disclosure from you... as it helps clarify where you are .. at least for me:

I think that there are millions of folks on the planet who have had a belly-full of organized 'religion' and the terrible things often perpetrated in the name of one god or another.

I am certainly with you on that.

I would ask you to continue to seek and listen..for the Creator is calling you, loves you, and wants you to know Him and hear Him.

His 'demands and requests' are not stringent in the human sense....but you will be changed forever for the better when you hear and follow with faith and love..amd when you do get to that point, you will find that a huge piece of religious society has no use for you..and may even wish to harm you...but knowing the Truth and following and loving is well worth the costs.Jim

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 16Racing, 1234, 160user, 10gaugeman, 63 invisible), 2,495 guests, and 1,320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,346
Posts18,526,939
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.