Print Thread
Hop To
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'm new to turkey hunting. I only went once with my husband, but I want to go again with him. I was thinking of buying him a turkey call, and I've seen the box calls on TNN, but I don't know if these are the best ones to use. Are some calls better for different parts of the country, or do you buy calls for different times of the year. I just don't know enough about these things to buy one.<P>Help.

GB1

T
T
Sheila:<P>I don't know too much about calls, but I sure do think that those box calls look easy to use. I've seen some guys use slate calls as well, but I'd bet you could impress your husband plenty if you brought in a gobbler on one of those box calls. I hear that for some guys, those things are works of art.<P>Teach

H
H
A box call is an excellent choice . Boxes are very easy to use and quality calls are available over the counter at every sporting goods shop. My suggestion would be to get a call and a video and sit down and call along with the video. I promise you dont have to be an expert to fool a longbeard , in fact sometimes a raspy poor rendered call is what it takes to fool TOM . I used a broken Lohman box call to get this bord gobbling .Slates are easily learned also and are very hard to beat for clucking .<BR> [Linked Image]

B
B
Hi Sheila12,,,<BR> As a guide service owner for many years now I would be asked <BR>" which call should I purchase ? "<BR>I always state to pick up a couple box calls as they all have a little tone diff that can make or break whether that bosstom comes to gun or not... If you own a couple all ready then I would say it is time to try another style call... This will now take you into another area of calling to enhance the way you work birds and as I always say... Let the turkey tell you what he wants to hear not what you want him to... If the area you hunt has more callers using a box call the gobblers may become leary of coming in to one... using another type call can really help when a bird is call shy to a certain style of call [Linked Image]<P> [Linked Image] <P>

[Linked Image]
Box calls are the easiest to master, they can produce some very good turkey sounds, and work great as a locator call when Runnin and Gunnin. You can't go wrong with a box call.<P>I preferr a box call to locate birds when Runnin and Gunnin, or on windy days. But I mostly use Slate and glass calls now to call them in then finish them off with a diaghram call.

IC B2

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I think everybody should have one. When I can see the bird I'll use my barrel mounted plunger though.

[Linked Image]
T
T
Sheila, I think it's great showing your support for your husband's pursuit's as asking which call to get him. My hat's off to ya, <P>Just from chasing turkey's as long as i have been, I would not feel comfortable without my box call, <P>Ya can't beat it on windy day's and for striking up that gobbler off in the distance,<P>Making a recomendation on a call brand is tough, But knowing other hunter's and hearing what they use, and what i use,<P>I use a Lynch World Champion box call, And quite a few other hunter's do also, I would feel lost without it, even though i use a diagram, i,e, mouth call most of the time, <P>Sound's your husband has a great wife, <P>------------------<BR>Sunrise is Awesome!!!!!!!!

<B>Sunrise Is Awesome!!!!!!!!</B>
If you really want to get him a call he`ll be proud of check out <A HREF="http://www.paulscalls.com" TARGET=_blank>www.paulscalls.com</A> and enter custom calls and check out the signature series. I have the walnut/mahogany w/turkey head on the lid, the track and feather on the sides, tuned old hen and young hen. When the hens answer, you know you`re talking turkey!!!! Make`em strut.. <P>------------------<BR><BR>Gun Control is shooting a tight group...

I`d like to go to heaven, but I`ve gotten use to hanging with this crowd....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 16gage, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 57 invisible), 2,643 guests, and 1,358 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,459
Posts18,471,175
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.