Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I was going through.... completed auctions and found a weapon that lm interested in , I contacted him and he still has it . So I guess > if we were to do something we have to work our way through GunBroker to make it happen..... correct..... or can I just say let's do something ... I don't know we would need to work out some deal of sorts ...? Where's a fellow go...

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
GB1

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
I think G/broker says that’s a no-no. You may be able to do the transaction but you’ll lose any protection through G/broker and if GB figures it out you’ll probably be cut out of the pattern.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Realistically, a private transaction could be done over the phone and nobody would ever know. I suspect this is done very often. I kind of think GB has earned a commission, so I don’t do this. Just ask the seller to relist it at a certain date/time with your agreed upon price as the BUY NOW price, and buy it at that time. It will cost more as the GB fee will be charged to the seller and, most likely, sales tax added to you. IMO, the few extra bucks it costs will be offset by a clear conscience.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Contact the seller and make your deal. If the auction ended without a sale or relisting, Gunbroker would be out of it. Even in an active auction, if there is no bid the auction can be ended by the seller and the item sold elsewhere.

Those who call magazines "clips" and cartridges "bullets" ought not to be taken seriously. Jeff Cooper.
We might add those who call bullets "boolits.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by WMR
Realistically, a private transaction could be done over the phone and nobody would ever know. I suspect this is done very often. I kind of think GB has earned a commission, so I don’t do this. Just ask the seller to relist it at a certain date/time with your agreed upon price as the BUY NOW price, and buy it at that time. It will cost more as the GB fee will be charged to the seller and, most likely, sales tax added to you. IMO, the few extra bucks it costs will be offset by a clear conscience.

GB is just a broker, a venue for connecting sellers with potential buyers. If the item is no longer being actively listed I can't see how GB has done anything to earn a commission. GB won't help a buyer when a seller misrepresents an item, so my conscience would be clear as long as the item doesn't have an active listing. The seller benefits because he doesn't have to pay a commission. The buyer benefits because he might get a lower price and he won't be paying state sales tax.

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by WMR

GB is just a broker, a venue for connecting sellers with potential buyers. If the item is no longer being actively listed I can't see how GB has done anything to earn a commission. GB won't help a buyer when a seller misrepresents an item, so my conscience would be clear as long as the item doesn't have an active listing. The seller benefits because he doesn't have to pay a commission. The buyer benefits because he might get a lower price and he won't be paying state sales tax.

Actually Gunbroker is required to collect sales tax in most states now.

Those who call magazines "clips" and cartridges "bullets" ought not to be taken seriously. Jeff Cooper.
We might add those who call bullets "boolits.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by WMR

I agree..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
GB auction ended without sale. End of the sellers contract with GB. Seller can do as he wishes with his property after that.

GOA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mr_TooDogs
GB auction ended without sale. End of the sellers contract with GB. Seller can do as he wishes with his property after that.

^^^This^^^.....................I've sold a couple of guns that way. Buyer contacted me after the auction closed, and we made a deal. He sent me the FFL he was using, and I shipped to the FFL. Same process as on GB, but you're bypassing them. No big deal.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
.it was previously said
. If the item is no longer being actively listed I can't see how GB has done anything to earn a commission

not sure I agree

well the only reason that the OP knew about the gun is GB
So yes they really did part of the sale

I had a young seller I bought a gun from a while ago and I offered to buy it direst and he said no they put us together they did their part

After that I thought the young man was correct and have not went around GB

but with the addition of sales tax it makes it more tempting
that ticks me off
Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by JamesJr

^^^This^^^.....................I've sold a couple of guns that way. Buyer contacted me after the auction closed, and we made a deal. He sent me the FFL he was using, and I shipped to the FFL. Same process as on GB, but you're bypassing them. No big deal.

Speaks volumes about your integrity. Without the Gunbroker connection, there would be no knowledge of the gun for sale. Cutting Gunbroker out of the deal is not honest, but that doesn’t matter much anymore.

You are bums.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DennisB
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by WMR

Actually Gunbroker is required to collect sales tax in most states now.

Yes, but if the buyer and the seller don't use GB as their broker, if they coordinate the transaction directly, the seller probably doesn't collect sales tax. I bought a used gun that was on the Williams Gun Sight site earlier this week and they didn't collect sales tax.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There are listing fees that GB gets when an item is placed on auction. Seller pays those fees regardless if item sells or not. GB gets paid. GB is not getting shorted if item does not sell, and seller makes a deal elsewhere.

From GB:
How do I pay for an Ad?
Updated 2 months ago
When you have finished creating your Ad, you will be taken to the Cart. From here you can choose to pay for the Ad, or to add more Ads to your Cart. The GunBroker.com Self-Service Advertising Platform supports payment by credit card through our secure payment provider, and all major credit card providers are supported.

GOA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by HitnRun
Originally Posted by JamesJr

Speaks volumes about your integrity. Without the Gunbroker connection, there would be no knowledge of the gun for sale. Cutting Gunbroker out of the deal is not honest, but that doesn’t matter much anymore.

You are bums.

Evidently you either can't comprehend what was written, or else you work for Gunbroker. Go back and read what I wrote......"Buyer contacted me AFTER the auction closed." What was I supposed to do?...........tell them that I was sorry, that I couldn't sell the gun to them because it would be shorting GB of their commission?

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
There are listing fees that GB gets when an item is placed on auction. Seller pays those fees regardless if item sells or not. GB gets paid. GB is not getting shorted if item does not sell, and seller makes a deal elsewhere.

From GB:
How do I pay for an Ad?
Updated 2 months ago
When you have finished creating your Ad, you will be taken to the Cart. From here you can choose to pay for the Ad, or to add more Ads to your Cart. The GunBroker.com Self-Service Advertising Platform supports payment by credit card through our secure payment provider, and all major credit card providers are supported.

It seems that you have not sold anything on GB. Their listing fee is very small and they collect the bulk of their fee after the sale is complete. The amount is determined as a percentage of the final selling price at the close of the auction.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The only up front costs with GB are if you choose to add "Options" of additional advertising and tracking. If you do NOT choose any of these, and the item does NOT sell....there is no charge on the back end or for relisting. As far as the tax, GB is a large site and one that is easily targeted for collecting tax....just like Ebay. Smaller sites and individual FFL's seem to be under the radar for now.

RAVENS & WOLVES
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
WMR, I have bought and sold on GB.

If you sell on GB and feel that GB needs more $$ after you pay the list fee, and your item does not sell, feel free to send GB more of your money.

GOA
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
WMR, I have bought and sold on GB.

If you sell on GB and feel that GB needs more $$ after you pay the list fee, and your item does not sell, feel free to send GB more of your money.

If the item never sells, then of course I'd feel no additional obligation. If GB's search function is used to complete a sale by finding the item and connecting buyer and seller, then I would. Just me. YMMV, of course. We all draw our own lines.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
GunBroker makes plenty money, if sale is over, the deal is off.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I had a handgun listed on GB. An interested buyer initiated a conversation with me BEFORE the listing expired, but we never consummated a deal while the listing was active. Afterwards he decided to make the purchase, so I made plans to re-list with our agreed upon sale price, and communicated the exact time I would make the listing active. He swooped in immediately and made the requisite offer.

I got a good price, the buyer got the gun he desired and GB got a commission. Everyone is happy and isn’t that the desired end?

The important point, I believe, is that the buyer was made aware of the guns availability THROUGH GB. So why shouldn’t a seller make sure that they got their commission? Seems only right to me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (1234, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 54 invisible), 2,468 guests, and 1,329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,073
Posts18,482,653
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.