Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I remember reading in National Geographic in '95 about the reintroduction of Wolves back into the states. The article talked about the Canadian folks they spoke with about capturing some and they looked at us dumbfounded and asked, "You want to do what? You want to bring them back into the states? Are you crazy?" I thought the same thing.

https://www.yellowstonepark.com/park/conservation/yellowstone-wolves-reintroduction/#:~:text=Biologists%20in%20Yellowstone%20began%20exploring%20the%20idea%20of,transplanted%20wolves%20would%20simply%20head%20north%20to%20home.

GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by callnum
3 is more than zero bubba.

Lol

Join BHA and end elk , moose and deer hunting forever. Plus you can support the abolishment of the 2nd amendment.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ribka
BHA morons like Caldumb, Buzzh are celebrating all of the dead livestock and elk and moose now in Colorado since BHA helped introduce Canadian grey wolves. . Just part of the anti hunting, anti gun BHA agenda. No one is surprised.

The number of livestock killed by wolves is miniscule ... and I am, as everyone knows, a far right wingnut MAGA supporting Conservative lifelong hunter. But let nature take its course. More wildlife, fewer libtards.

Anyone who doesn't understand that then .... what did the heifer say to the grey wolves?

Eat me.

What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become.
In a nation where anything goes ... eventually, everything will. We're almost there.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Originally Posted by Heym06
I'm surprised Colorado hasn't had wolves for sometime now.

We have. I personally know of 3 killed over 10 years ago near Walden. They sleep with the fishes at the bottom of lake John..... Another one was killed by a car on I-70 near Idaho Springs.

Oh oh, Caldumb, Buzzh and Land Towney are crying wolf tears now

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
But, but....they only kill the old/weak/crippled!! That's what the Defenders of Wildlife/Center for Biological Diversity say!!!!
10 or 12 wolves can run anything down and kill it.

You have lots of experience with Louisiana wolves?

You stated repeatedly that you've killed dozens of B&C mountain lions in Montana . Can we see some pics anti hunting BHA cuck ? lmao

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
But, but....they only kill the old/weak/crippled!! That's what the Defenders of Wildlife/Center for Biological Diversity say!!!!
10 or 12 wolves can run anything down and kill it.

You have lots of experience with Louisiana wolves?

A lot more than the pot bellied ginger BHA leader Land Tawney. lol

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Reba has gone completely jag. Answering your own posts.

LOZl

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Reba has gone completely jag. Answering your own posts.

LOZl

Going full blown jag is 100 times better than full blown [bleep].

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
673;
Top of the morning my friend, I see your light is on so I'm guessing the stove is lit up there and the coffee on as it is here.

We're warm again with the snow melting down in the valley, but of course that makes for crusty snow and will mean the ungulates are going to take a beating from the dog family big and small in both our back yards.

While I've told these tales/tails previously perhaps there's new folks who've not read them or old readers who like me won't remember them. wink

Back before they gave us a wolf season down here in the south, only First Nations hunters could shoot them and so it was that a local chap from Osoyoos Indian Band brought a bruiser of a wolf into my friends' taxidermy shop. They'd done northern wolves before but this one had a couple features new to them, which were an ear tag and radio collar!

The taxidermist father and son duo suggested that the FN chap might want to take at least the radio collar into the local MOE in Penticton "just because" and they pulled the ear tag as well for added entertainment.

It turned out that the MOE, in the fullness of time of course just like in biblical times, were able to ascertain that it was an Alberta wolf, captured on the western slopes of the Rockies, then released in Yellowstone where it was picked for the radio collar and then let loose to wander. Well wander it did 673! laugh

For the curious and sciencey minded amongst us, here's a link to a reasonably close landmark to where wolfie bought the farm.

https://baldyresort.com/

If one takes a quick look at a map then of where Baldy is as compared to say anywhere in Yellowstone, one will begin to grasp how far they can travel. wink

We talked to a bio down here where they said they've got a female wolf collared. The bio said it was no big deal for her to go from my backyard - again we'll say Baldy as that's just south of the mountain behind the house - way up to nearly as far north as your part of the world, where it'll cross north of Okanagan Lake and come back down into the Similkameen. shocked

Like you, I've missed every wolf I've seen in the flesh - exactly one. Shot high, yet again. frown blush

We've tried and tried to call them here. Had smoking fresh tracks in the snow and called with rabbit distress, fawn distress, coyote howls and wolf howls with nobody showing up to see what the fuss was.

For the rest of the readers here, just north of 673 there's no bag limit, no closed season for wolves and there's still an over abundance.

As you said 673, I do not believe either that enough can be shot to control the population. Aerial gunning excepted and likely not that down here in the timber, but maybe with the right pilot and an auto shotgun? Maybe...

Anyways all the best to you all 673, I hope we can do coffee sometime this year.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
In 2000 my dad and I were hunting elk with a drop camp outfitter just west of where they re-introduced these wolves. I saw two very large white and grey and brown canines cross a field about 80 yards from me. I have dogs, big dogs and these made my Labs look small. Told the guide and he said, just big coyotes. Right. 120lb. coyotes. What they do to hurt the elk population is 100% real. Just like coyotes do to deer and turkey population.

IC B3

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thank you Dwayne for that story, I didn't realize they traveled that far, but I guess they don't follow any rules as such.
A Wolf looks big when you see them broadside, then when they are facing you present a pretty skinny target, couple that with a moving one, prove hard to hit indeed. The one I did hit was upside down for some time, then managed to swim across a small pond then disappear.

I did some checking into what the term "Wolfer" means/meant, here is some reading.
https://fort.galtmuseum.com/articles/wolfers

The biggest problem we have is the will to kill them, we already know how to do it. Shooting them is futile, poison is so last Century and immoral, however...there are other methods of "poison" that are acceptable to me and others, perhaps a type of poison that makes them sterile??

Either way, a can of worms has been opened and special interest has ran away with it, I know that from the last Wolf seminar I attended where after my turn at the mic, had me nearly having to fight my way out of there.

I suspect nothing will happen, this Province couldn't organize a dog fight.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
673;
Good morning and thanks for the reply and link sir!

It occurs to me that while you are increasing my personal library, you are costing me money at the same time when we chat! wink

Way back in the day James Gary Shelton addressed the BCWF and did a presentation on how our green movement - I shall not give them capital letters thanks - have iconized wolves and grizzly bears, to the detriment of the environment and animals therein.

Sounds like the meeting got downright sporty! laugh

When the greenies tried to end black bear hunting in the province a buddy was there and he said only the presenter and two people showed up in support of suspending the black bear season, while the rest of the standing room only crowd was there to speak against it - including most of the local CO's!

I've long suspected it's easier to envision all sorts of environmental solutions when you're in an office on East Pender or some similar proximity of East Hastings, you know?

We do have a trapper up on the mountain behind the house, but I've yet to meet him/them and would love to chat and see if they are taking any wolves out.

The young neighbor buddy across the gully goes "snow wheeling" up there still - huge rubber, low air pressure tires with bead locks and air lockers front and back - and he says there's lots of wolf tracks.

Without a snow machine this year it's a no go to attempt hunting them and that's a headache I shall pass on at this stage in my wrenching life - snow machines and I have a bit of a hate/hate relationship. laugh

You are correct in that the provincial government at this point absolutely would screw up a two car funeral procession 673. Amazing really.

Regardless of all that, I hope the day's a good one for you my friend.

Dwayne

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The whole wolf thing is an anti-hunting ploy. Their long range plan was to use predators to reduce game animals to the point where hunting would have to be stopped. That's not my opinion, that's what they said themselves in writing.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
The whole wolf thing is an anti-hunting ploy. Their long range plan was to use predators to reduce game animals to the point where hunting would have to be stopped. That's not my opinion, that's what they said themselves in writing.

Lets see the "writing". You have a link?

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
In other headlines, another wolf was found assassinated by the forces of evil near Joseph Oregon. Gunshot. I think this makes 8 or so within a year around there, 7 by poison. Members of Oregon Wild are spinning like tops with their hair (they got lots of hair) on fire. Screaming at LEO's because they haven't caught any of the assassin(s). I love it.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
flintlocke;
Good morning to you sir, I hope you're getting the weather you all need - snow pack or not as it were - and that all in your world are well.

It surprises me not one bit that large predators get dealt with by individuals whose livelihood depend upon agricultural production to survive. It's pretty much ever been thus and I suspect ever will be, you know?

What surprises me always is that the carcasses get found.

For example of the local conditions here in southern BC, a mulie doe succumbed to either a vehicle hit or some disease in our yard a couple years back.

It was late winter or early spring as I recall but no snow and I found her as I'd returned from work and saw a big Bald Eagle in the Ponderosa by our compost bin/garden area which is unusual enough for me to check it out.

Anyways I found the dead doe and she had her eyes pecked out, some pecking on the hind quarter and was swelled up like a basket ball. Because of the proximity to our house and the terrain we live on, moving the doe wasn't practical, so I slid a knife up her spine and peeled the top third or so off to give the cleanup crew a bit of an assist.

I'm here to say that in two days all that was left was the pile of deer hair on the ground!

My goodness talk about bird activity in the daytime and I'm assuming the night shift was mostly coyotes, but surely could have been black bears too as we're seeing more of them.

Anyways that's our situation here so it's mildly surprising to me when carcasses get found anywhere, though if they're fresher that makes sense.

But yah, folks whose paycheck gets affected by predators will deal with the issue as they see fit or at least that's been my experience with my contacts in the agricultural producers in the western provinces.

All the best to you folks this week regardless sir. Stay warm, well and dry.

Dwayne

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Agreed.
The only ones "they" want hunting are the Natives. Its interesting watching one special interest group cozy up to another to achieve their end.
Too add.....humans wont be needed to control wildlife when we have Wolves to do it, it takes man out of the entire management plan.

Last edited by 673; 01/13/22.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by 673

Agreed.
The only ones "they" want hunting are the Natives. Its interesting watching one special interest group cozy up to another to achieve their end.
Too add.....humans wont be needed to control wildlife when we have Wolves to do it, it takes man out of the entire management plan.

This makes no sense. If the wolves were transplanted to eliminate hunting then why is there such liberal seasons on wolves?

Also in MT WY and ID in many areas hunters can kill more that on elk, and same with deer, so if the plan was to have wolves kill off game, well it didn't work very well.

And to make things clear I'm not pro wolf and wish they were never mover here, although they were coming on their own. They are here now and the best we can do his hunt and trap as many as we can. Most guys will never get a chance to kill one.

If you really want to know the truth about how they got here read Carter Niemeyer's book "Wolfer" he was in on the trapping and relocating. You will get the facts from a guy that was there instead of the guy on a barstool.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Lets see the "writing". You have a link?

No, I don't have a link. That was my big mistake. I read this 5 years before the original introductions in one of the anti-hunting magazines that someone gave me. I thought it was idiotic and didn't keep it. I've wished MANY times since then that I'd kept it just for occasions like this. At the time, they were working to get their people in positions of power in the Forest Svc, US Fish and Wildlife Svc, and other similar agencies. Over time, they got it done and now we have the wolves.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

i have also read this statement in the past about saving wolves someplace ? the bunny huggers / snowflakes do have this plan . here in Minnesota we have a real problem with wolves but the head DNR managers and the state Governor are wolf lovers / snowflakes that want wolves saved . we have a real mess here in Minnesota with these snowflakes and the way they vote the Twin Cities alone with the large population of different races control our whole state its B.S. ,

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

87 members (Beagler410, 257 mag, 35, badwolf, BABore, 9 invisible), 1,420 guests, and 933 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,061
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.