Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Just bucked some firewood with an 881 magnum, no hearing protection.

15 yrs ago, helping a 50 cal gunner clear a jam in mosul, fkn thing went off near a wall. Ears were ringing for at least 10 hrs.

We are american men, and we are replaceable. These beta male manginas who think they need a suppressor on a fkn hunting rifle........embarassing.

Last "new age" rifle i bought, went straight to the fairbanks, Ak gunsmith to cut those stoopid threads off the barrel. Best $40 I ever spent.

YepšŸ‘

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, Iā€™d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ainā€™t easy havin pals.
GB1

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
"Male Mangina's". ..thats some funny chit! And very true.....Hb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Just bucked some firewood with an 881 magnum, no hearing protection.

15 yrs ago, helping a 50 cal gunner clear a jam in mosul, fkn thing went off near a wall. Ears were ringing for at least 10 hrs.

We are american men, and we are replaceable. These beta male manginas who think they need a suppressor on a fkn hunting rifle........embarassing.

Last "new age" rifle i bought, went straight to the fairbanks, Ak gunsmith to cut those stoopid threads off the barrel. Best $40 I ever spent.

No can yet but I will have one. Makes it handy if you don't want everyone in the country to know what you're up to.

Also handy as fugg if you want to kill several critters in one sitting.

I just wish they offered threaded barrels as an option.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by InternetGuru
I took a step back from buying guns for a few years, I come back and MRC is gone, 84M, Ruger Hawkeye, Remington, the Field craft... maybe it's time to take up golf.

So it's you then... You killed them....

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Wish I used a can earlier in life and hearing protection.

Very hard hearing in the right ear and many nights they ring so bad I can't sleep. Literally keeps me awake all night.

Me

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Were "cans" readily " available to make a difference? Nope...

Chainsaws, mill work and lotsa huntin, wouldn't a made a difference. But boy, they sure look cool nowadays.

Last edited by Judman; 01/15/22.

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, Iā€™d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ainā€™t easy havin pals.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Ha, Stihls and shootin the way of life in my early years, hearing protection wasnā€™t, wouldnā€™t change a thang.. šŸ˜€

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Teal
Wish I used a can earlier in life and hearing protection.

Very hard hearing in the right ear and many nights they ring so bad I can't sleep. Literally keeps me awake all night.

I can't hear well in my left ear, but I blame that on the drummer in our band being to my left all those years. Damn cymbals!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker

I have no use for a can on a Montana with a 22ā€ barrel. However, a can on the end of a 16.5ā€ or 18ā€ light weight rifle is utopia. If Kimber made threaded 16.5ā€ 223 Montana theyā€™d have to shut down pistol production to fill backordersā€¦ā€¦.

Thatā€™s exactly what I did with the one. I bought from you, chopped to 17ā€ threaded it and went to town. Great walk around varmint/ hog gun

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have a NIB Montana .223 that I want to chop and thread. Canā€™t bring myself to do it. Iā€™ve been on a 17ā€ kick lately with some Tikkas.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by turkish
I have a NIB Montana .223 that I want to chop and thread. Canā€™t bring myself to do it. Iā€™ve been on a 17ā€ kick lately with some Tikkas.

My man is chumming the waters, lookin' for a big ol' fish. laugh

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Thatā€™s a good question. Who the hell buys an ultralight rifle and then puts a can on it? Idiots. Thatā€™s who.

Originally Posted by Poconojack

Could never understand adding an additional 7 or 8 in. and an additional 8 or 9 oz. to the muzzle end of a Montana or other lightweight rifle. Kind of both defeats the purpose and really messes up both the looks and ergos of the gun. A can would be a big hindrance.

I have no use for a can on a Montana with a 22ā€ barrel. However, a can on the end of a 16.5ā€ or 18ā€ light weight rifle is utopia. If Kimber made threaded 16.5ā€ 223 Montana theyā€™d have to shut down pistol production to fill backordersā€¦ā€¦.

Iā€™d take a Montana like that in .223 in a heartbeat. Even the 22ā€ barreled ones make great suppressor host for hunting rifles in the field or even if only for load work ups.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Originally Posted by kevinJ
When they havenā€™t tried it they cannot know. Only have a blind opinion based on emotion. Not experience

I give zero craps about the aesthetics of a rifle for hunting

Purely form and function. Suppressors add to this when done correctly. Not subtract

If I was hunting from a hunting shack Iā€™d invest in a nail and a pair of ear muffs.

If your hunting from a shack balance will matter even less. Set the rifle on a rest with a can on it easy peasy. Thereā€™s a reason that you see cans in common use even on stalking rifles all over the world from Africa to New Zealand to Great Britain and all other places that they are commonly available. Would you take the muffler off of your car and where muffs to quiet it down? Why deal with noise and muzzle blast that isnā€™t necessary especially for load development or hunting out of a blind or stand where balance is a nonissue.

Scopes add weight and negativity affect balance to but most of us wouldnā€™t be without those either on a serious hunting rifle.

T
T
FYI - for anyone that maybe looking for a 223 Montana I saw a new non-threaded in a LGS this morning for $1330 so PM for the details.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by txseadog
FYI - for anyone that maybe looking for a 223 Montana I saw a new non-threaded in a LGS this morning for $1330 so PM for the details.

I wouldn't expect that to last long in today's market.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~MolɔĢ€Ėn LabĆ© SkĆ½la~
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by SockPuppet

Minutes if posted on here.

O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by SockPuppet

Minutes if posted on here.

A classifieds cowboy would have it within seconds, must be 100 of them that live in/on the classifieds sub-forum.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I wish they made a 223 Montana with the barrel profile and length like the one on my Adirondack in 300 BO. And do it in a 7 or at least an 8 twist. My 300 bo has a hammer flare on the end so it has a shoulder to seat a can against.

Bb

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

346 members (3333vl, 257 mag, 2500HD, 160user, 12344mag, 39 invisible), 1,956 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,497
Posts18,472,199
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.