Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Curious about the reasons for Savage's production facility locations and why they moved. Utica, NY to Chicopee Falls, Mass, then to Westfield, Mass. I did read in David's book that Savage used the Stevens Chicopee plant in 1941 to manufacturer Enfield rifles for military purposes but wonder why also they moved all production there from Utica. My guesses would maybe be bigger production area, more modern equipment. Couldn't find anything on the move to Westfield, where they are at this time. Anymore current firearm manufacturers move to avoid leftist, radical state governors/legislators who are opposed to arms and the 2nd Amendment.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I think the Utica to Chicopee Falls move was just economics. The Stevens plant had been there forever, they had increased the size of both their plants tremendously during WW2, and they didn't need near that much space for just civilian production. Rather than shrink both factories down, it just made more sense to consolidate to one location.

They had closed some facilities after WWI as well, such as Sharon, PA. It had made military arms during the war and civilian goods such as bearings and vehicle frames afterwards, but just couldn't keep it going once the economy got tough afterwards.

Now as to the Chicopee Falls to Westfield move... that one I don't know anything about. I would guess it might involve costs of improving/repairing the Chicopee Falls plant and facilities versus just building a new plant. It was only a 12-15 mile move, so they probably didn't lose any employees for that one.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Makes sense. Seems like in todays world when a long time manufacturer moves, esp when it is a favorite manufacturer of firearms, it can be like "No Way', won't be the same anymore, but firearm manufacturers have been moving about since the dawn of Colt, Smith and Wesson, and Remington back in the 1800's. Some have even closed doors. Savage did all of their moving about before I was born with the exception of the Westfield move and I just read about it years later. At the time I wasn't even aware of the move. A hundred years from now, firearm lovers will just read about all the current and last 25 years of moves and closers and just think OK!!!

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I think the choice of Chicopee Falls for the combined plant may have had to do with logistics as well a some politics. The Stevens facilities were also old so I don't think that was much of an issue. A few years ago it was mentioned that according to John Callahan the research and development was all done at Chicopee Falls, not sure of the time frame for that, but the inventors named on patents from the mid 30's are all from the Chicopee Falls area. I also think they had a number of their models already being made there - the models 219 & 220, the 720's, the model 24's and the 22 rifle series - models 3, 4, 5, 6 & 7 all appear to have been made at Chicopee Falls - all these model are in the post move catalogs with out showing signs of any interruption.

The Utica made guns at that time appear to be the 99's, the 29 pumps and the 23 series of bolt actions, the 99's would have been the top priority. These were all still listed in 1947 but only the 99's are in the 1948 catalog from Chicopee Falls. The Model 29 pumps show up again in 1950 but the 23 series was gone.

I don't know if this had to do with state regulations in New York or just different policies; all 22 rifles I know for sure were made at the Utica plant were serial numbered and those made at Chicopee Falls were not. The Model 29's were serial number before the move and were not after (the last 29-A's and all 29-B's).

Gene
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GeneB
all 22 rifles I know for sure were made at the Utica plant were serial numbered and those made at Chicopee Falls were not. The Model 29's were serial number before the move and were not after.

As always, excellent job, Gene!

So, since they have serial numbers, all 1911's were made in Utica?

An armed society is a polite society.
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Good info Rory and Gene. Thank you.

H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
A lot of great points and info being shared here!
Thanks, it's very appreciated!

Also as business changes, Tax write offs for Corporations,
New vs. old, always comes in to play, especially with Buildings, and their Maintenance!
Our Government, keeps changing Tax Laws to benefit them, and not so much others,
and good Tax Lawyers, and accountants, have to stay a step or two ahead!

HS58

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Lots of firearms companies are moving out of unfriendly states, I think the count was up 17 or something last I heard. Including Colt and others.

Since Savage is in Massachusetts and produces both handguns and MSR's now, I'm sure they are considering a move. There's a lot of states that are a lot more tax friendly than Massachusetts, plus they could get under a friendlier court for lawsuits. Whether they do that or stick with Massachusetts for the employee's sake is the question.

Last edited by Calhoun; 01/13/22.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rakkasan
So, since they have serial numbers, all 1911's were made in Utica?
Yes. these were made before Savage acquired Stevens in 1920.

From what I can find Stevens was ran as an independent fully owned subsidiary until about 1930 when they started to become just a brand name. In the 1929 Savage catalog there were no models listed that also had a Stevens, Springfield or House branded version except the Model 29 pump 22 (the exception). In 1931 you start to see to see Savage, Stevens, Springfield and House Branded version of the same design 22's, none of which were serial numbered and all having the same type inspection stamps. The Model 1904 (by then cataloged as the Model 04) was dropped in 1931, they had always been serial numbered. The 1931 catalog is when the Model 28 pump shotgun was dropped and the Model 720 shotgun appeared, not sure where they would have made it, a Savage catalog has a picture of a worker bluing a receiver but the picture could have been taken at the Steven plant.

The inspection stamps - about the time of the Savage Arms purchase Stevens started using different style inspection stamps, these consisted of round symbols and circled numbers or letters all about 3/16" diameter. These changed over the years and sometimes guns can be given a rough date from the inspection stamp. The same stamps are found on all the Savage 22's made after 1931 and they are on the couple of 220 shotguns I have. Use of these seemed to have stopped after WWII or when Savage moved. I never started documenting the inspections stamps until recently. The exceptions is the Model 29 pump & it's versions.

The Model 29, 29-A & 29-B - There are versions of the 29 & 29-A branded Stevens, Springfield as well as several house brands. These all appear to have been made at the Utica plant. None have the Stevens style proof marks and all a serial numbered. The Stevens versions of these are the only Stevens 22's from that time to have serial numbers. I got some information from John Callahan several years ago that the 29's started with three different serial number series and then were combined into a single series starting in the 18,000 range, he never said, but I assume these were all in then in the same ledger, I never thought to ask. This is when the use of a letter after the serial number started for the Savage and Stevens version, the house brands always had a 'K', the Savage's were followed by an 'L' and Stevens by an 'M' - the use of 'M' for Stevens didn't last long, a few high serial number Model 75's have it, later Stevens & Springfield versions had a 'K' like house brands.

I'm sure John Callahan would have better information about all this, wish I would have asked when he was still historian.

Gene
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Moving from the old plant in Chicopee that had no room for expansion to the new Industrial Park in Westfield gave them a modern facility with security, ample parking, room for expansion,a rail spur, and 1/2 mile to exit 3 of the Mass Turnpike, interstate 90.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Masshunter
Moving from the old plant in Chicopee that had no room for expansion to the new Industrial Park in Westfield gave them a modern facility with security, ample parking, room for expansion, a rail spur, and 1/2 mile to exit 3 of the Mass Turnpike, interstate 90.

No brainer when you say it like that....

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The model 29's can be a nice sleek .22 rifle.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Masshunter
Moving from the old plant in Chicopee that had no room for expansion to the new Industrial Park in Westfield gave them a modern facility with security, ample parking, room for expansion,a rail spur, and 1/2 mile to exit 3 of the Mass Turnpike, interstate 90.

Thumbs up!!!!!! (Need a thumbs up and/or a 'Like' icon on the forum) smile

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

512 members (1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 1moredeer, 160user, 10Glocks, 43 invisible), 2,302 guests, and 1,135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,395
Posts18,469,994
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.