Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Temps were well into the 20s today so decided to hit the range to play with some rifles and chronograph a few loads for my M1 carbine. I was hoping to be the only person but another car was parked in the lot. He was at the 100 yard range which was fine as I wanted to use the 200-400 range.

While unloading the sled I use to haul my stuff, the other shooter stopped to visit on his way out. He noticed the chronograph and stated, not asked, to run his loads over it. I told him he could but only after I had done mine as I have seen 3 chronographs shot and I had enough bad luck getting these loads over the chrono. He was not happy, insisting that I let him shoot right away as he was on a tight schedule. Wasn't going to happen and he left in a huff. He claimed to be a board member so hopefully I will see him at the meeting next Tuesday.

Most everything else went well except I discovered a coyote I shot on Sunday was one unlucky dog. The coyote was lasered at 218 yards and I took it through the head as it walked away. With a solid rest that particular gun and load did about 4" at best for 5 rounds and was 2" right at 200 yards. It did much, much better at 100 yards where I originally sighted it.

I also discovered 308 Win HSM target ammo with the 168 gr bullet is potentially pretty darn accurate in my M1A. I only did two 5 round groups but it shot as well as 168 gr Federal Gold Medal except about 2" above the bullseye. I saved the other 10 for a different day as I probably got lucky as I am not that good of a shot normally.

Discovered the velocity of factory rounds for my M1 Carbine was low which probably explains why it has some of the feeding and ejecting problems. My handloads worked fine which measured near 2000 fps. The closest factory load was 1870 fps and went down another 120 fps. That sucks as I have several hundred rounds on hand.

Dropping temps will make range trips to the rifle range a little less frequent. Hopefully, it keeps guys like the one mentioned away too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some people feel entitled!!

Goodness

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Holy hell......the impertinence of some people.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Some people don’t know what the term “favor” means.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cue up the boomers….

“That’s why I don’t go to the range….. I shoot at my range on the land pee-paw gave me.”

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Woods you were more polite and generous than I would have been....mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Some people think they are entitled to what ever they want.
Other than that, it sounds like you got good data and had a nice day at the range

Last edited by pullit; 01/14/22.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
So WTF does he think his "board" membership entitle him to in respect to someone else's property? I'm A board member, and former chairman, in my sportsmens club and have never felt entitled to anything but input and bitching from the membership. You did good.

O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Save the factory loads for summer time. Might be enough to make them reliable?

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am so very mindful of others time and thankful for anything remotely appearing as a favor that I have zero patience for people who insist or will not take a hint and have to be forced into some blunt reply.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Papag
So WTF does he think his "board" membership entitle him to in respect to someone else's property? I'm A board member, and former chairman, in my sportsmens club and have never felt entitled to anything but input and bitching from the membership. You did good.

F'in liberal, probably.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Cue up the boomers….

“That’s why I don’t go to the range….. I shoot at my range on the land pee-paw gave me.”

Now that was a funny post.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have had interactions like this in the last six months. I am assuming the other parties were of the 7 million first time gun buyer types. They are actually the petulant princess pure civilian type.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Anytime your dealing with other humans you can expect to encounter some real jackazzes. If people would just mind to their own affairs that would be great.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That ain't really an adventure at the range, as far as range adventures go. Wait until someone walks downrange while others are shooting because they know that bullets can't go sideways. We have berms and the cement culverts to shoot through. Or starts shooting a handgun off the top of the berm. Or hides some tannerite in their target. You show up and guys are running around with their ARs, dumping mags from positions all over the range at targets all over the range. I'm actually not upset at the cost of ammo, it's much more sane at the range now.

That's more like rudeness and weirdness at the range. Which is odd when everyone is armed.

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Ranges can be "unusual times".

Retired cat herder.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I would have reminded that jackwagon that I didn't buy the last chrono in existence, and he's free to buy his own anytime he chooses to do so!

Yes, I'm a boomer. Yes, I do own the property my range is on. I bought it and paid for it myself. Jealous azzoles without a pot to pizz in or a window to throw it out of can ESAD!

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I’d never even consider to ask to shoot through someone’s chrono if I didn’t know them well. Kinda like borrowing a man’s chainsaw or his wife

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by g5m
Ranges can be "unusual times".

Last weekend I paid my yearly fees and went to shoot and two rifle ranges were closed with groups holding events. One group was four guys and they had the entire range closed for their personal use. No idea what that was about. From the retard that comes over and talks to you but obviously is missing a few parts from the clockworks, to schitstains wanting to go downrange to check their targets because they can't see their holes, to every other generalization we've all seen at the range, one things for certain, I hate going to the range. I do it out of necessity only.

LOL
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by UNCCGrad
I’d never even consider to ask to shoot through someone’s chrono if I didn’t know them well. Kinda like borrowing a man’s chainsaw or his wife

I decided if a guy asks to borrow my chainsaw, he has to take my wife too. All or nothing.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

265 members (2500HD, 204guy, 16penny, 219 Wasp, 17CalFan, 1_deuce, 34 invisible), 2,312 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,240
Posts18,485,878
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.