Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
yar Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In Pa where I hunt we had a outbreak of EHD that hit our deer hard . The numbers where almost non existent in some areas. Yet the Game commission continued to issue a large amount of doe permits in that area even though the density was almost non existent. Hunters still mange to harvest what deer they could. Now they complain that they don’t see deer in that area. The agency should have backed of its allotments for a couple years to allow some repopulation . They did not . Which leads me to believe the management goal of this area was to nearly wipe out the heard . In this same area coyote numbers have grown out of control. Even though EHD has not reoccurred the deer have no chance . The hunter satisfaction is not even a consideration in this particular area. Hunter in this area are being used as a tool to eliminate the population.

Last edited by yar; 01/14/22.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Do you think the government is killing off the deer?

Yes.

😂

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
I have read this thread through from the beginning. I have to say, it's given me more laughs than anything else recently. It was a tough decision, but the awards are as follows:

Most ridiculous post: This has to be a tie, with equal honors going out to Keith and DaveinWVa for the insurance company conspiracy angle.

Just for the record, boys, the insurance companies don't give a damn how many deer get hit by cars. It's not like they have some finite pool of money to pay out. The more they pay out, the more they charge and instances where people have to collect on their insurance only serves to further stimulate their customer base to buy more product. They employ actuaries to figure this schitt out and they raise their rates to cover their risks, and they are not concerned with the short term, they are in it for the long term.

Most intelligent post: Here we have a three-way tie among Jorge, EdM and Blackheart.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Irving_D
I don't know about where you live but in NY it seems our deer population as taken a huge hit. At least in my eyes, driving from Albany to NYC, or Buffalo and Pennsylvania it wasn't uncommon for you to see well over 50 on a trip not to mention quite a few dead ones. Lately I am lucky to see a handful and that includes dead ones. I know in counties near NYC they are blaming a virus carried by a fly. After Corona I put nothing past our government including wiping out the deer heards.

I think they all moved South and are trying to turn the beautiful South into a craphole for deer like they did in NY!!

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by keith
Insurance companies pay the states a LOT of money to influence the protection and limited hunting/trapping abilities of predators. Coyote populations have to be reduced by 75% each year to maintain a stable population.

SC fish and game put out a camera by a coyote den one Spring. A single pair of Coyotes brought 22 dead fawns to the den for the pups to eat. You do the math.

I would like to see a copy of the report, on the den feeding. Interesting studies like that have been intriguing to me.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's fools with a gun, they will shoot critters and leave them lay, then brag about killing a deer.
I have listened to it, they had used a SKS and killed two

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
" Just for the record, boys, the insurance companies don't give a damn how many deer get hit by cars. It's not like they have some finite pool of money to pay out. The more they pay out, the more they charge and instances where people have to collect on their insurance only serves to further stimulate their customer base to buy more product. They employ actuaries to figure this schitt out and they raise their rates to cover their risks, and they are not concerned with the short term, they are in it for the long term."

Not in Georgia. I was a paramedic in central Georgia. Deer hunter falls from a tree, we worked with Game and Fish. Person injured in boat crash on Lake Sinclair, we worked it with Game and Fish. I was buddies with our two game wardens and I knew them on a first name basis. They told me that deer/car wrecks drove the insurance companies nuts. Game wardens told me that every year, State Farm and Prudential had lobbyists down at the state capitol, trying to get the legislature to expand the hunting season.

Furthermore, I worked some deer/car wrecks where there were terrible injuries. Not from the deer, but from the car swerving and hitting the oak tree. Worked one deer/car wreck where a 24 year old man got a broken back and was paralyzed from the waist down.. State Farm shelled out a couple hundred grand on medical expenses on that one, shelled out until the policy ran dry.

I was an avid deer hunter and I discussed this at length with my Game and Fish warden buddies, in fact they told me that the insurance companies would be happy if the deer herd were eradicated.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by cra1948
I have read this thread through from the beginning. I have to say, it's given me more laughs than anything else recently. It was a tough decision, but the awards are as follows:

Most ridiculous post: This has to be a tie, with equal honors going out to Keith and DaveinWVa for the insurance company conspiracy angle.

Just for the record, boys, the insurance companies don't give a damn how many deer get hit by cars. It's not like they have some finite pool of money to pay out. The more they pay out, the more they charge and instances where people have to collect on their insurance only serves to further stimulate their customer base to buy more product. They employ actuaries to figure this schitt out and they raise their rates to cover their risks, and they are not concerned with the short term, they are in it for the long term.

Most intelligent post: Here we have a three-way tie among Jorge, EdM and Blackheart.

Really? In Oregon insurance companies lobbied for motorcycle helmet laws to cut down on the number of bikers they had to keep on life support for life. Also lobbied for seat belt laws for the same reason. Why is it hard to understand an insurance company would actively seek ways to cut liabilities? It's what they do for a living after all.

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Insurance Co's hate paying claims that's why they argue and make it generally a pain, they like collecting that income without expenditures!!!

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Blair County Pa PGC employed sharp shooters showed up,
dumping piles of corn and asking people for access to their property.
They wanted to kill their way out of CWD.

The community said "Hell No!".
And after a couple weeks of fighting they put their tails between their legs
and left. It's my understanding that they got away with it in some other
places.

Statewide, they have seriously reduced the herd over the last 20 years.
The reason posed was herd health and the environment. With bigger
bucks as a supposed secondary benefit.
Farmers still bitch about deer damage, I never saw browse lines here, and haven't seen any change in the forrest since the depopulation.

We have seen an increase in the size of bucks, our antlers run thin and
we aren't likely to ever be a destination hunting state.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by cra1948

Thank you.

The hunters killing the deer is the only thing we can control.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
A high number of kills are not being reported. Electronic reporting made that possible. Shoot, skin and freeze.
Easy to do now with silent death crossbow over corn pile from a bedroom window.
Lot of bored folks were sittin' at home last couple of years.
Add in the depredation permits, and wham.

I think way more are getting killed than the numbers show. That's the impact.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Yea, another of Dr. Fauci's secret Wuhan lab viruses are killing deer everywhere by the millions.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
in PA i think the PAGC is getting what they wanted. almost unlimited doe licenses, deer population on state owned land waaay down and average antler size increased. this is allowing the forest to repopulate after their massive logging operations, unlike 30 years ago. when they logged my mountain in the mid-80s, it regenerated in garbage trees. still looks like schit. lots of birch, silver maple and brush. 30 years ago i would see herds of 50 deer. in the past 20 years since they went wild with the doe licenses, i'm lucky to see 2 or 3 deer a day in the same area and now the recently logged areas are coming back with oak, etc. the unforeseen issue of CWD is taking its toll in the south central part of the state as are coyotes. every pile of coyote schit i see is loaded with deer hair.

as for myself, i would prefer to go back to the old days, but i know its not going to happen.

now as for private property, i see waaaay more deer on there. so all in all, the hunting for joe sixpack like me has really declined.

and no i don't believe any or that insurance company coyote stocking stuff. insurance companies are going to make money no matter what.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Boarmaster123
How do you think the government is killing them and for what reason do you think the government are killing all the deer?

I'll take this one:

The government is killing off all the deer to make it impossible to be self sufficient and live off the land. Next thing on their list is to outlaw all the parts need to make a trot line. Then it's on to a tomato seed wipeout and a ban on homemade wine. This is all so a bunch of guys who eat Arbys on most days and are so out of shape they can't walk up a flight of stairs without being out of breath, can flip a switch when the boogaloo kicks off and start living like that Red Dawn movie they watched while eating a TV dinner.

As far as how, radio waves from drones making the deer sterile. That and chemtrails, obviously.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Great, another Kook-konspiracy for the kooks to kook over...

Bingo.

Maybe, but if the government IS behind it, this is the explanation I'd go with:

Originally Posted by Stickfight

The government is killing off all the deer to make it impossible to be self sufficient and live off the land.

Creating dependency is what .gov does best. Twenty years ago, I'd have laughed at the notion; but now, it doesn't seem all that far-fetched.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Irving_D
Do you think the government is killing off the deer

Yeah, probably.

yar Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I do not buy into the insurance companies are releasing coyotes theory either. I do believe that coyotes are effecting the heard size however.

Attached Images
Last edited by yar; 01/14/22.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There are more deer than people in Alabama. Fact.

yar Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

238 members (160user, 260Remguy, 257 roberts, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 2UP, 22 invisible), 1,949 guests, and 1,146 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,327
Posts18,526,518
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.