-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think it is several things. Coyotes do take a lot of fawns. CWD is taking some too. Less people are hunting and not moving deer like they used to do. Agricultural practices have changed affecting their food supply.

With my tin foil hat on I will say an unidentified predator is making dents in the population confused

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Lonny
It wasn't the government, predators or screwed up game management here.

EHD killed 90-95% of the whitetails in some areas last summer/fall. Now we have CWD.

Damn, you folks got hit again.

When I was up there 2010-2017 I was told about the big herds of whitetail that used to exist, then disease got them. They seemed to be on the way back when I left.

Sure glad it didn't get that dandy buck wageslave got.

Last edited by Valsdad; 01/14/22.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I hunted in four different New York Counties this past season. Killed two bucks and four does. Saw deer and plenty of sign everywhere I went and I wouldn't say I hunted very hard. In fact, most everybody in my immediate circle of family and friends that I hunt with had a pretty good season too. My 13 year old nephew killed a real nice 8 point that is presently at the taxidermist. My son in law got a nice 8. My best friends 13 year old granddaughter killed a forkhorn {her first buck} and a doe and my brothers brother in law killed a slammer of an 8 point that is also at the taxidermist. My freezer is full of venison, I have a piebald doe hide at the taxi waiting to be tanned and everybody's happy.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I hunted in four different New York Counties this past season. Killed two bucks and four does. Saw deer and plenty of sign everywhere I went and I wouldn't say I hunted very hard. In fact, most everybody in my immediate circle of family and friends that I hunt with had a pretty good season too. My 13 year old nephew killed a real nice 8 point that is presently at the taxidermist. My son in law got a nice 8. My best friends 13 year old granddaughter killed a forkhorn {her first buck} and a doe and my brothers brother in law killed a slammer of an 8 point that is also at the taxidermist. My freezer is full of venison, I have a piebald doe hide at the taxi waiting to be tanned and everybody's happy.

Public or private land? Not trying to start anything, just curious.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Interesting article from 2014. Lists a lot of things that are still going on.

Re: the issuance of "too many antlerless permits"? I guess folks could just choose not to avail themselves of those and not shoot any does/youngsters for a couple of seasons and see if populations rebound to levels they approve of.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by benchman

Public or private land? Not trying to start anything, just curious.
Both.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I know the secret predator is the chupacabra, they've been breeding them by the thousands in Mexico and sneaking them across the border with the illegals.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Like flies around HORSESHIT, KOOKS never disappoint. I'm loving the insurance company angle....

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Don`t hang around horseshit.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Huntz
Don`t hang around horseshit.

But it's fun to set it on fire and watch the flies burn up in the air like a shot up jap Kamikaze .... smile

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I noticed a drop in deer population this year,but,it could just be the natural cycle of things.Around here ,Westchester/Putnam counties,
Seems to run in a 10 year cycle.When i started hunting in the early 1980's there was nothing,not even small game,it was barren.
Early 1990's,it was booming,by 2003,it was bust again,2013,back up,and now this year,busted again.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
No I don't think the Government is, but something is. At least in PA. I've never seen it this bad in my life

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Found some dead deer this summer near creeks. CPO said probably EHD. Still can drive around the block and see dozens on fairly routine basis.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Aliens

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
There are gazillions of deer.

Sheesh.

I am MAGA.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Irving_D
I don't know about where you live but in NY it seems our deer population as taken a huge hit. At least in my eyes, driving from Albany to NYC, or Buffalo and Pennsylvania it wasn't uncommon for you to see well over 50 on a trip not to mention quite a few dead ones. Lately I am lucky to see a handful and that includes dead ones. I know in counties near NYC they are blaming a virus carried by a fly. After Corona I put nothing past our government including wiping out the deer heards.

Yeah definitely the government.

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Govt has been killing off Citizens and the deer for many years, actually. Taking in legal and illegal aliens who have nothing, so nothing to lose, if caught poaching or trespass hunting with 22 mag or 222s.

Thing is, they are equal opportunity poachers who kill any deer with hair. All year long.

Expect ranchers to start finding cattle missing backstraps if the supply chain shortage causes much meat shortage.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
673 Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by high_country_
Ps, I live on what was once the most prolific whitetail deer area. 15 years ago we were thinning them to reduce stress on the mule deer.

I haven't seen one in two years in my entire county.

Same thing here, between the Wolves and killing all the Whitetail doe's, there are no Whitetails. It isn't helping the Mule deer either, it is just another stupid idea following another dumb idea.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by JoeBob
New York has about 22 deer per square mile. But actually it’s probably a lot higher than that because so much of the state is heavily urbanized and the deer will be more concentrated in those areas that aren’t. If there are any noticeable drops in deer population from year-to-year it probably has more to do with disease and weather than anything else.
I wouldn't call New York "heavily urabanized". The State is 62.88% forested, which puts it at # 12 in the nation for percentage of forested land.

Areas of the state are a lot more heavily urbanized than most. And of course, woods aren’t necessarily good deer habitat anyway.
Lots of good deer habitat in New York. Central NY covered in farmland. Lots of deer in suburban areas too. The heavily forested wilderness areas of the Adirondacks and Catskills will always be low deer density due to being poor habitat. As a percentage of the total land area of the State, the urban areas aren't much. In fact at 8.7%, the percentage of land area that is urbanized in NY is not far from Georgia at 8.3% and is far less than.

NJ 39.4%
Mass. 38.4%
Conn. 37.7%
Del. 20.8%
Md. 20.5%
Fl. 13.7%

And even less than some you might not suspect like.

Pa. 10.5%
NC. 9.5%
Oh. 10.8%

All the state you mentioned are what I would consider pretty highly urbanized.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
New York has about 22 deer per square mile. But actually it’s probably a lot higher than that because so much of the state is heavily urbanized and the deer will be more concentrated in those areas that aren’t. If there are any noticeable drops in deer population from year-to-year it probably has more to do with disease and weather than anything else.
I wouldn't call New York "heavily urabanized". The State is 62.88% forested, which puts it at # 12 in the nation for percentage of forested land.

Areas of the state are a lot more heavily urbanized than most. And of course, woods aren’t necessarily good deer habitat anyway.
Lots of good deer habitat in New York. Central NY covered in farmland. Lots of deer in suburban areas too. The heavily forested wilderness areas of the Adirondacks and Catskills will always be low deer density due to being poor habitat. As a percentage of the total land area of the State, the urban areas aren't much. In fact at 8.7%, the percentage of land area that is urbanized in NY is not far from Georgia at 8.3% and is far less than.

NJ 39.4%
Mass. 38.4%
Conn. 37.7%
Del. 20.8%
Md. 20.5%
Fl. 13.7%

And even less than some you might not suspect like.

Pa. 10.5%
NC. 9.5%
Oh. 10.8%

All the state you mentioned are what I would consider pretty highly urbanized.
Consider it what you want. The fact remains that NY State is over 91% rural/semi rural/farm land or wilderness and outside of those urban and wilderness areas the deer population ranges from fair to good to well over capacity. You are correct that in some parts of the State winter kill can have a big effect on the deer population.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (12344mag, 1234, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 60 invisible), 2,507 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,343
Posts18,526,900
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.