Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Hi guys,

I know there's another 4Runner thread going now and I've read through it, but this one is a little more targeted, looking for specific purchase info, so bear with me. Thinking about buying a new 4Runner this year, as apparently they're a better buy than used given the current inflated used car market. So, for those of you who have bought a new one in the last year (say, beginning of 2021), would you mind posting:

--which model year?
--which trim level is it?
--what price did you pay (vehicle only, excluding taxes, license/plates, delivery, extended warranty)
--what was sticker price?
--in what town/city did you buy it?
--any other info/tips you might think would be helpful

Knowing this info could help me a lot, even the location, as I'd consider traveling to another part of the country for the right deal.

Thanks in advance!

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Following this... we are also getting ready to get one...

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I bought my wife a brand new sr5 premium TRD off road last thanksgiving (Black Friday 2020) it was 46k before taxes and fees.

Since then we put a 3” lift, wheels, tires on it and even with 25k miles could sell it for what we paid new.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
54k for a tricked out 2022 today. Could have saved a few thousand if we shopped around, but there are none to be had and she needed a truck.

Will Rogers
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks. Wow, I may end up holding off until next year, hoping the used market comes back down some.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just traded my '18 SR5 4wd 64k miles for a new '22 of basically the same model. .....

Even though I lowered my current monthly payment 25% with almost no money down, I'd rather not relive the buying experience in this thread.

No models of interest at any dealership, put down a $500 deposit for an allotted vehicle.

Suffice it to say unless you are on top of your game which I wasn't, its tuff duty. Its MSRP when the car ain't sitting in the lot....got the kbb top trade figure for very good condition which was good.....that's pretty much where the good ended.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Around here - just about anything new or used is going well over KBB or MSRP. Local dealership is pricing TRD Pro 4 Runners in the 70s and GETTING IT. Total insanity.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I took delivery of a 2021 TRD Offroad Premium in August paid $47,501 which included a $2k "market adjustment" and some dealer add ons. Sounded atrocious until they showed me what they would pay for the 2018 w/ 50k miles I traded in on it, a no brainer. The market is tougher now and the pickins slimmer. This is my 5th 4Runner and I have never spent a nickel outside of scheduled maintenance and tires.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I took home a 2021 TRD off-road premium in October. $43,700 out the door. A few dealers really wanted the 2022 Avalon TRD I had and negotiations began. They gave me $5k more than what I paid for it 🤷🏼‍♂️

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by SCgman1
Just traded my '18 SR5 4wd 64k miles for a new '22 of basically the same model. .....

Even though I lowered my current monthly payment 25% with almost no money down, I'd rather not relive the buying experience in this thread.

No models of interest at any dealership, put down a $500 deposit for an allotted vehicle.

Suffice it to say unless you are on top of your game which I wasn't, its tuff duty. Its MSRP when the car ain't sitting in the lot....got the kbb top trade figure for very good condition which was good.....that's pretty much where the good ended.

Don't want to come across wrong, but why didn't you privately sell your car?

Right now dealers are telling you blue book means nothing when buying a used outfit off them. But the hypocrites are flashing blue book when it comes time to price a trade in.

Montana MOFO
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bought a 2021 TRD Offroad Premium for right at $46k as I recall in Sept 2021. Not much wiggle room on Toyota prices. Wife's truck but will pass to me when she moves on to something else.

This was in Brandon, MS at Gray Daniels Toyota.

We liked the ride of the TRD better than the Limited.

Last edited by Mink; 02/10/22.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Tarkio
Originally Posted by SCgman1

Don't want to come across wrong, but why didn't you privately sell your car?

Right now dealers are telling you blue book means nothing when buying a used outfit off them. But the hypocrites are flashing blue book when it comes time to price a trade in.

The dealer was giving me what I paid for the SUV new in 18....$35.5k

I dont think I'm the type that could squeeze any more than that from private party....I'm not a savy sales guy....plus, I was still making payments on the 18......I'm just not up to dealing with the shlub responses in private sales on something I still owe money on.......didnt talk to carvana or carmax...maybe I should have.

Very few, if any in my preferred colors, new 4wd 4runners on the lots around here made timing somewhat a factor.

Buying a new 4runner has changed and I doubt I'm ready for it.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
2021 Nightshade, around $52k. Paid MSRP and had to do the $500 down to hold it for when they delivered. Got almost what I paid for, on my 2019 Durango on trade. Corwin in Bellevue NE. Was really pissing off the paper works guy as he was trying to sell me all the extra warrantees. Only took the electronics and the tire/wheel ones as my brother who works on cars says so much is controlled by the stereo/HVAC control, it is worth it and the tires/wheels as Omaha is becoming known for it tire killing pot holes. He kept trying to push a whole vehicle warrantee, but I kept countering with "I'll be over 59 1/2 yrs old by the time the factory expires and can pull from my retirement account to cover it".

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
My SIL has a 2020 and its a great ride.
But man they aint cheap.
Dunno what MPG is

Love the ride and interior space. Proly best hunting rig buy, even at higher price.

Just more than I want to spend.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Dealers and finance dept guys push lease lease lease.
Offer value holding contracts etc.

Got a non Toyota vehicle Monday.
Told em im buying, pay off in 2 yrs.

Finance guy said I was wasting money because in 2 yrs id have a used car. Should lease.

Told him i aint renting, dont want a lifetime of car payments. He stood their like a deer in headlights.

Sales guy was a good dude. First new vehicle.ive ever bought and he was informative, honest, got me a decent rebate.

Wait til fall and see what 2022 models look like and what used stuff gets traded in.

Might buy a used one for kid.
Sales guy was old school solid dude.

Finance guy can eat a deke.

Last edited by hookeye; 03/04/22.
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
My wife and I both own off road premiums, the limited are too fluffy! The limited is definitely for someone that doesn’t want to get dirty.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Anyone tow with theirs? I am thinking of buying a slightly used one. How would it do with a 12’ box trailer with gear and a four wheeler inside say 3500lbs up Loveland pass?

Shawn

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Elkbelch
Anyone tow with theirs? I am thinking of buying a slightly used one. How would it do with a 12’ box trailer with gear and a four wheeler inside say 3500lbs up Loveland pass?

Shawn

While I have never towed with any of my 5th generation 4runners, I see many that do......I would imagine that gas gauge will really start moving at that point......aerodynamics are important.

Empty Yakima roof cross bars will knock my mpg down by 2.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Elkbelch

Shawn

Not well...

Will Rogers

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (160user, 1minute, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 64 invisible), 2,389 guests, and 1,436 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,168
Posts18,484,544
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.