Print Thread
Hop To
P
PSE Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
I have a Leupold 2.5 - 8 Vari X 3 scope (duplex reticle). Lately I've noticed the vertical cross hair (in the upper half of the scope) has a bit of a lean compared to the rest of the scope hairs. This is something I haven't really noticed before. The scope is mounted in Leupold one piece mounts and rings on a 30/06 Rem 700 mtn rifle. The scope is more than 15 years old.

What causes this? Is this an age of scope thing that happens? Could initial over torquing the rings have eventually lead to this? If I back the torque off a bit on the rings could it return back to normal or should I just leave it alone?

I realize I could send it back to Leupold but is there something I can do to rectify it?

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Got any photos?

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Any chance you wear glasses with astigmatism correction in the lenses? I had the same issue with a similar Leupold scope AFTER I got new glasses with progressive lenses and astigmatism correction. The vertical cross hair looked tilted and I thought the scope was screwed up, but it was my glasses. A slight shift in head position looking through a different section of the lens of my glasses solved the problem. Now I'm using a Firedot reticle, so no problems now.

P
PSE Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
I'll check that out. I do wear glasses and I think I have some astigmatism.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Leupold...

Coyotes shot no waiting.
IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Blacktails
Any chance you wear glasses with astigmatism correction in the lenses? I had the same issue with a similar Leupold scope AFTER I got new glasses with progressive lenses and astigmatism correction. The vertical cross hair looked tilted and I thought the scope was screwed up, but it was my glasses. A slight shift in head position looking through a different section of the lens of my glasses solved the problem. Now I'm using a Firedot reticle, so no problems now.

This. I had those issues when I wore glasses.

P
PSE Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P

Very interesting - I've just got done looking through 2 scopes - both Leupolds.

When I viewed the reticle with my glasses, the top vertical hair tilted slightly. I then viewed it with glasses off and the reticle straightened out. I assume as you said that my glasses are indeed correcting my astigmatism and causing the cross hair to look slightly off kilter.

Thank you very much for solving an optical perception issue that was driving me nuts.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I had that problem after a cataract operation in my shooting eye. It actually was pretty bad. My eye doctor said it would resolve itself and it did after about 3 weeks. I actually had to readjust the focus on my scopes a bit too, but that was likely due to the new lens and the fact I could see again.

To ride hard, shoot straight and speak the truth.
NRA Benefactor Member
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V

Always been a problem for me as well...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

279 members (2ndwind, 300s, 260Remguy, 12344mag, 338reddog, 338rcm, 38 invisible), 2,368 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,620
Posts18,474,012
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.