Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Our local grocery store gas cure 81 spiral hams for $1.99 a pound. I like to keep a few in my freezer. Ham dinner one day, ham and eggs the next morning, ham sandwiches for the kids school lunch, then a ham and cauliflower casserole with a white sauce and that Swiss cheese that starts with a g that I can't spell or pronounce. Then everyone is burned out on ham for a month.

Bb

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I revert back to what kept my folks in the mountains going. Beans, chicken, cornbread, milk, cheese, bacon, greens and a few other items they could kill or raise kept them going for a couple centuries..

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by 700LH
Oats

Good idea. I haven't thought of oats. I can take or leave plain oatmeal. But I'll look around and see if there's some oat based casseroles.

It shouldn't be too hard to come up with a recipe.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Originally Posted by stxhunter
pork, fish, eggs, and chicken are still not bad price-wise.

Yeah, I've been thinking about adding more fish to my diet. In fact, I stocked up on some of those big, oval cans of sardines recently.

HEB has frozen yellowfin tuna steaks and mahie for a little over bucks a pack. Had a Tuna steak last night.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by reivertom
I revert back to what kept my folks in the mountains going. Beans, chicken, cornbread, milk, cheese, bacon, greens and a few other items they could kill or raise kept them going for a couple centuries..

I never get tired of cornbread and beans. But too many beans will beat up my guts pretty bad. I've cut way back on them over the past few years.

I miss cornbread and beans.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Go together with others and buy half a beef, or cases of chicken. I still get beef and seafood cheap at times from a vendor that services bars around here. I told the deliver driver long ago if at the end of the day he has stuff he couldnt sell to give me a call. I got shrimp right before Christmas, but havent heard from him since. Still worth a shot if u can find a guy like that in your area.

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
pork, fish, eggs, and chicken are still not bad price-wise.

Yeah, I've been thinking about adding more fish to my diet. In fact, I stocked up on some of those big, oval cans of sardines recently.

HEB has frozen yellowfin tuna steaks and mahie for a little over bucks a pack. Had a Tuna steak last night.

I'll have to look around. Good fish isn't as easy to come by around here as it is in some places. There's one very good seafood shop nearby. But it's not cheap.

I'll have to check out the grocery a bit more intently to see what kind of good fish they keep.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jambalaya with sausage, chicken or both

Chicken and sausage Gumbo

Tuna Casserole

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by pahick
Go together with others and buy half a beef, or cases of chicken. I still get beef and seafood cheap at times from a vendor that services bars around here. I told the deliver driver long ago if at the end of the day he has stuff he couldnt sell to give me a call. I got shrimp right before Christmas, but havent heard from him since. Still worth a shot if u can find a guy like that in your area.

There's a big cattle farm a mile down the road. If worst comes to worst, I'll go down and buy one on the hoof and pay him to haul it to the butcher for me.

I'd do it before I went hungry. But I'm not a huge beef eater. I like it okay. But I can do without it and not miss it all that much.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Varmint.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by reivertom

Have you bought bacon lately? It ain’t cheap.

Beans and cornbread or bean burritos with fried eggs in them.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Serious inquiry.

I'm not really much of a "foody". Of course, I like good eats as much as the next guy. But most of the time I just eat to fuel up.

So, with grocery prices going through the roof, I've been wondering what I can eat that will keep me well fed with a fairly balanced diet that won't break the bank.

I'd like to hear some suggestions. Cheap protein and nutritious vegetables, especially.

Peanut butter and jelly or tuna sandwich for lunch… if you need more, microwave one of the “Cup of Noodles” to go with it…I like the “Korean bbq” flavor. Burritos are cheap and easy… lots of good recipes on line…. One of my favorite meals although a little more expensive is Rice a Roni “Spanish Rice” or “Mexican” with sliced and sautéed onions and jalapeño’s and chopped and stewed canned tomatoes with a can of green beans along with a pound of burger…. First I brown the burger and set it aside then sauté the jalapeños and onions and set aside …start cooking the rice a roni according to directions then add the rest before you put the lid on to let it simmer… you might also want to add tomato paste for a thicker sauce….

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Riverc
Jambalaya with sausage, chicken or both

Chicken and sausage Gumbo

Tuna Casserole

I might have to make up a big tuna casserole. Tuna casserole with a side of broccoli and stewed tomatoes ought to be a fairly balanced meal.

Tuna casserole might be a good dish to integrate oats into.

Made right, I bet oats would just add texture to a tuna casserole.

Oats are good nutrition. I'm going to have to start eating some.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/9-benefits-oats-oatmeal

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Eggs

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
Serious inquiry.

I'm not really much of a "foody". Of course, I like good eats as much as the next guy. But most of the time I just eat to fuel up.

So, with grocery prices going through the roof, I've been wondering what I can eat that will keep me well fed with a fairly balanced diet that won't break the bank.

I'd like to hear some suggestions. Cheap protein and nutritious vegetables, especially.

Peanut butter and jelly or tuna sandwich for lunch… if you need more, microwave one of the “Cup of Noodles” to go with it…I like the “Korean bbq” flavor. Burritos are cheap and easy… lots of good recipes on line…. One of my favorite meals although a little more expensive is Rice a Roni “Spanish Rice” or “Mexican” with sliced and sautéed onions and jalapeño’s and chopped and stewed canned tomatoes with a can of green beans along with a pound of burger…. First I brown the burger and set it aside then sauté the jalapeños and onions and set aside …start cooking the rice a roni according to directions then add the rest before you put the lid on to let it simmer… you might also want to add tomato paste for a thicker sauce….

Good ideas.

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
Eggs

Eggs are good. Unlike Jesco White, I'm a big fan of "sloppy, slimy aigs". The best part is "soppin' up the remains with toast.

I eat more eggs than I should because of my cholesterol issues, however. But I can eat a lot of eggs.

Jesco don't like 'em like that. I do.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Chili.

Chili is good and one of my favorites. But it's not particularly low cost. Beef prices are going nuts.

Go with pork shoulder.

Cheap, and authentic.

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Fubarski
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Chili.

Chili is good and one of my favorites. But it's not particularly low cost. Beef prices are going nuts.

Go with pork shoulder.

Cheap, and authentic.

hmmmmm,...never had pork in chili. I'll have to give it a try.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
If you want to live to see tamorra you best stop fryin them eggs they way you been fryin'em...

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 01/15/22.
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
The reason I shot 5 deer this year. Other than meat fresh vegetables that you have to prepare yourself aren't expensive. Especially at a.Sams or Costco.
Carrots, Bagged Broccoli, Boxed spinach and Salad mixes. Potatoes, Sweet Potatoes, Generic canned vegetables.

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

523 members (1_deuce, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1234, 1minute, 16penny, 67 invisible), 2,375 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,538
Posts18,472,814
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.