Home
Posted By: Bristoe Low cost nutritious foods? - 01/15/22
Serious inquiry.

I'm not really much of a "foody". Of course, I like good eats as much as the next guy. But most of the time I just eat to fuel up.

So, with grocery prices going through the roof, I've been wondering what I can eat that will keep me well fed with a fairly balanced diet that won't break the bank.

I'd like to hear some suggestions. Cheap protein and nutritious vegetables, especially.
Beans and rice. I noticed that's what the locals seemed to live on in Central America.

Bb
Another vote for beans and rice. Cheap, quick, and easy to prepare.
Tuna is hard to beat on protein and price
Posted By: pullit Re: Low cost nutritious foods? - 01/15/22
I was going to suggest Red beans and rice, as well
Friskies
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Low cost nutritious foods? - 01/15/22
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
Beans and rice. I noticed that's what the locals seemed to live on in Central America.

Bb

Yeah,..beans and rice are always a good choice and I like both well enough. But I have to eat beans and rice sparingly these days or my guts get fairly cranky.
Chili.

Lentils

Start eating these things and you'll healthier than people who eat expensive food.
Sardines and a tomato, you can eat one each a day.
Also don’t eat much. Eat a handful of mixed nuts in the morning and drink a tea. Stop eating at 3:30 pm
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Chili.

Chili is good and one of my favorites. But it's not particularly low cost. Beef prices are going nuts.
Beans and smoked sausage without rice. Rice is cheap but jacks up your sugar.
Originally Posted by Whiptail

Lentils

Start eating these things and you'll healthier than people who eat expensive food.

I've read that lentils are very nutritious. I don't think I've even eaten any.
pork, fish, eggs, and chicken are still not bad price-wise.
Posted By: SBTCO Re: Low cost nutritious foods? - 01/15/22
Originally Posted by Bristoe

Lentils

Rare, but some people are allergic to lentils so start out with a small quantity if you've never eaten them before.
Chili.

Chili is good and one of my favorites. But it's not particularly low cost. Beef prices are going nuts.

Cheap means creative.

Use cheaper cuts of meat and other animal proteins.
Feral cats and dogs should be noted as well.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Low cost nutritious foods? - 01/16/22
Originally Posted by stxhunter

Yeah, I've been thinking about adding more fish to my diet. In fact, I stocked up on some of those big, oval cans of sardines recently.
I just served 2lbs of navy beans and a 2lb pork shoulder in it... total cost under 4 bux and my 5 eaters didn't finish it all.
Posted By: 700LH Re: Low cost nutritious foods? - 01/16/22
Oats
Our local grocery store gas cure 81 spiral hams for $1.99 a pound. I like to keep a few in my freezer. Ham dinner one day, ham and eggs the next morning, ham sandwiches for the kids school lunch, then a ham and cauliflower casserole with a white sauce and that Swiss cheese that starts with a g that I can't spell or pronounce. Then everyone is burned out on ham for a month.

Bb
I revert back to what kept my folks in the mountains going. Beans, chicken, cornbread, milk, cheese, bacon, greens and a few other items they could kill or raise kept them going for a couple centuries..
Originally Posted by 700LH
Oats

Good idea. I haven't thought of oats. I can take or leave plain oatmeal. But I'll look around and see if there's some oat based casseroles.

It shouldn't be too hard to come up with a recipe.

Yeah, I've been thinking about adding more fish to my diet. In fact, I stocked up on some of those big, oval cans of sardines recently.

HEB has frozen yellowfin tuna steaks and mahie for a little over bucks a pack. Had a Tuna steak last night.
Originally Posted by reivertom
I revert back to what kept my folks in the mountains going. Beans, chicken, cornbread, milk, cheese, bacon, greens and a few other items they could kill or raise kept them going for a couple centuries..

I never get tired of cornbread and beans. But too many beans will beat up my guts pretty bad. I've cut way back on them over the past few years.

I miss cornbread and beans.
Posted By: pahick Re: Low cost nutritious foods? - 01/16/22
Go together with others and buy half a beef, or cases of chicken. I still get beef and seafood cheap at times from a vendor that services bars around here. I told the deliver driver long ago if at the end of the day he has stuff he couldnt sell to give me a call. I got shrimp right before Christmas, but havent heard from him since. Still worth a shot if u can find a guy like that in your area.

HEB has frozen yellowfin tuna steaks and mahie for a little over bucks a pack. Had a Tuna steak last night.

I'll have to look around. Good fish isn't as easy to come by around here as it is in some places. There's one very good seafood shop nearby. But it's not cheap.

I'll have to check out the grocery a bit more intently to see what kind of good fish they keep.
Posted By: Riverc Re: Low cost nutritious foods? - 01/16/22
Jambalaya with sausage, chicken or both

Chicken and sausage Gumbo

Tuna Casserole
Originally Posted by pahick
Go together with others and buy half a beef, or cases of chicken. I still get beef and seafood cheap at times from a vendor that services bars around here. I told the deliver driver long ago if at the end of the day he has stuff he couldnt sell to give me a call. I got shrimp right before Christmas, but havent heard from him since. Still worth a shot if u can find a guy like that in your area.

There's a big cattle farm a mile down the road. If worst comes to worst, I'll go down and buy one on the hoof and pay him to haul it to the butcher for me.

I'd do it before I went hungry. But I'm not a huge beef eater. I like it okay. But I can do without it and not miss it all that much.
Varmint.
Originally Posted by reivertom

Have you bought bacon lately? It ain’t cheap.

Beans and cornbread or bean burritos with fried eggs in them.
Serious inquiry.

I'm not really much of a "foody". Of course, I like good eats as much as the next guy. But most of the time I just eat to fuel up.

So, with grocery prices going through the roof, I've been wondering what I can eat that will keep me well fed with a fairly balanced diet that won't break the bank.

I'd like to hear some suggestions. Cheap protein and nutritious vegetables, especially.

Peanut butter and jelly or tuna sandwich for lunch… if you need more, microwave one of the “Cup of Noodles” to go with it…I like the “Korean bbq” flavor. Burritos are cheap and easy… lots of good recipes on line…. One of my favorite meals although a little more expensive is Rice a Roni “Spanish Rice” or “Mexican” with sliced and sautéed onions and jalapeño’s and chopped and stewed canned tomatoes with a can of green beans along with a pound of burger…. First I brown the burger and set it aside then sauté the jalapeños and onions and set aside …start cooking the rice a roni according to directions then add the rest before you put the lid on to let it simmer… you might also want to add tomato paste for a thicker sauce….
Originally Posted by Riverc
Jambalaya with sausage, chicken or both

Chicken and sausage Gumbo

Tuna Casserole

I might have to make up a big tuna casserole. Tuna casserole with a side of broccoli and stewed tomatoes ought to be a fairly balanced meal.

Tuna casserole might be a good dish to integrate oats into.

Made right, I bet oats would just add texture to a tuna casserole.

Oats are good nutrition. I'm going to have to start eating some.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/9-benefits-oats-oatmeal
Eggs
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
Serious inquiry.

Peanut butter and jelly or tuna sandwich for lunch… if you need more, microwave one of the “Cup of Noodles” to go with it…I like the “Korean bbq” flavor. Burritos are cheap and easy… lots of good recipes on line…. One of my favorite meals although a little more expensive is Rice a Roni “Spanish Rice” or “Mexican” with sliced and sautéed onions and jalapeño’s and chopped and stewed canned tomatoes with a can of green beans along with a pound of burger…. First I brown the burger and set it aside then sauté the jalapeños and onions and set aside …start cooking the rice a roni according to directions then add the rest before you put the lid on to let it simmer… you might also want to add tomato paste for a thicker sauce….

Good ideas.
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
Eggs

Eggs are good. Unlike Jesco White, I'm a big fan of "sloppy, slimy aigs". The best part is "soppin' up the remains with toast.

I eat more eggs than I should because of my cholesterol issues, however. But I can eat a lot of eggs.

Jesco don't like 'em like that. I do.

Chili.

Go with pork shoulder.

Cheap, and authentic.
Originally Posted by Fubarski
Chili.

Go with pork shoulder.

Cheap, and authentic.

hmmmmm,...never had pork in chili. I'll have to give it a try.
If you want to live to see tamorra you best stop fryin them eggs they way you been fryin'em...
The reason I shot 5 deer this year. Other than meat fresh vegetables that you have to prepare yourself aren't expensive. Especially at a.Sams or Costco.
Carrots, Bagged Broccoli, Boxed spinach and Salad mixes. Potatoes, Sweet Potatoes, Generic canned vegetables.
It seems to me that if the price of meat keeps going up, that the wild hog problem in America will be significantly curtailed.

I've never eaten wild hog. Some people say it's good. Some people don't.
Tuna.

Steve Austin lived off of raw potatoes and tuna in the pre stone cold days (certainly no anabolics..)
It seems to me that if the price of meat keeps going up, that the wild hog problem in America will be significantly curtailed.

It tastes fine, if'n you ain't a puzzy
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Low cost nutritious foods? - 01/16/22
Originally Posted by 700LH
Oats

Good idea. I haven't thought of oats. I can take or leave plain oatmeal. But I'll look around and see if there's some oat based casseroles.

It shouldn't be too hard to come up with a recipe.

Few months back I bought a small blender, I drink right out of it. Throw whatever kind of fruit you like in it and a good size serving of Quick Oats, blend for 20-25 seconds, park it in the freezer for 10-15 minutes and you got yourself a good tasting and nutritious slerpy-whip.
Frozen fruit should be fine, better than nothing, I've got to where I can't eat any more plain Oatmeal, I'd as soon eat a bowl of dirt.
A banana makes a good drink to me also canned pears, you won't know there's oatmeal in it.

I got a free 12# turkey at Town & Country grocery back before Christmas, seems like the price on the receipt was pretty cheap meat. Going to cook it and keep enough out to eat and freeze the rest in small containers, enough for 2 good size helpings.

I'm going to round up some lintels and give them a try, heard they were good food for years.
Dropped off some pecans with my local Commercial fisherman friends this afternoon... they were shrimping, but are now sharking (I assume the shrimp tonnage was met and the season ended).

I asked for some shark (wanna try some more fish jerky ("Shark Bites" I will call them Tabasco and Ghost marinade)).

He said sure... shark is only fetching $0.19 a pound at present.

That seems like "Low cost nutritious food" to me...
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
Tuna.

Steve Austin lived off of raw potatoes and tuna in the pre stone cold days (certainly no anabolics..)

,...gotta be careful with a diet like that. It might have worked for Steve Austin, but it also could turn somebody into Dog the fuggin' Bounty Hunter.

Genetics are Important. One day you're eating' raw taters and fish, next time you look you got hair like Dolly Parton and a face that's been beat with a bag of hammers.
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Dropped off some pecans with my local Commercial fisherman friends this afternoon... they were shrimping, but are now sharking (I assume the shrimp tonnage was met and the season ended).

I asked for some shark (wanna try some more fish jerky ("Shark Bites" I will call them Tabasco and Ghost marinade)).

$0.19 a pound won't even pay for diesel... damn racket for sure.
Originally Posted by slumlord
Friskies

+1

Don’t get hooked on the Sheebas Paté.

High dollar.
Originally Posted by CashisKing

I'll eat shark. It's just a fish.

This Chinese woman in Western Kentucky is getting rich off of Carp.

https://www.tworiversfisheries.com
[Linked Image]

There's a big cattle farm a mile down the road. If worst comes to worst, I'll go down and buy one on the hoof and pay him to haul it to the butcher for me.

I'd do it before I went hungry. But I'm not a huge beef eater. I like it okay. But I can do without it and not miss it all that much.
You need to make an appointment. The small time packing houses around here are swamped with business. I butchered 2 beef cattle last February and ended up with 1000 lbs. of vacuum sealed beef. One was a huge fat 1/2 Brahma cow that quit having calves and the other was a somewhat fed white face 1/4 Brahma steer that I got from my neighbor. Not real good beef but not bad. My kids their spouses and kids are eating it and happy with it (free). I've been getting corn fed beef fat from a store and grinding and mixing it with the sirloins and chuck. It tastes about like the bison I've eaten. Country folks will eat, maybe blackbirds but they'll eat.

This^

Plus peanut butter, beans & lentils will keep you rolling.
Cheapest places to buy listed.

Old Fashioned Quaker Oatmeal (Sam's Club)
Blueberries (Walmart or Walmart Neighborhood Market)
Raspberries (Walmart or Walmart Neighborhood Market)
Strawberries (Walmart or Walmart Neighborhood Market)
Chobani Zero Greek yogurt (Sam's Club)
Eggs ( Walmart or Walmart Neighborhood Market)
Yellow Squash (Aldi or Walmarts)
Zucchini (Aldi or Walmarts)
Butternut Squash (Aldi or Walmarts)
Almond Butter (Walmarts or Amazon)
Seafood (Restaurant Depot)
Been living country my whole life and see no reason to quit now. Our 3 acre pond is full of fish, our woods are full of wild game and we always have a decent garden. Freezers are still full from last year, we could use some more staples. Those who didn't have enough ammo are probably the same ones who don't have enough food. Nothing is low cost compared to last year, and it's probably going to get worse.
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Low cost nutritious foods? - 01/16/22
Bristoe;
Good evening to you sir, I hope the day's been going according to plan for you and you're still all well.

While I don't know if you've got anything like this south of the medicine line, up here we've got a chain called Bulk Barn where one brings their own jars or containers into the store - they've got to be clean spotless however - they'll weigh the empty and away you go.

We buy our oatmeal, 9 grain porridge, bulgar, dry beans, molasses, spices and a bunch of other dry goods there. It's amazing how much money seems to be in packaging. Spices in particular are typically less than a quarter the cost of individually packed containers.

When I'm making bread, meatballs, meatloaf or hamburgers I add rolled oats.

If one has the storage room lentils can last decades if stored in a dry place. They're bland and take on the taste of pretty much whatever they're put into. One can add them to the meatloaf or burger to stretch it as well.

This is a good discussion Bristoe, thanks for starting it.

All the best to you all this weekend.

Dwayne
Guts.

Liver, kidney, heart.

Chicken gizzards and hearts.

I love gizzards, pressure cook them tender, flour, S/P, garlic powder,
Try in butter and olive oil.

Can't get any cheaper than real rice and dried beans.
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Bristoe;
Good evening to you sir, I hope the day's been going according to plan for you and you're still all well.

While I don't know if you've got anything like this south of the medicine line, up here we've got a chain called Bulk Barn where one brings their own jars or containers into the store - they've got to be clean spotless however - they'll weigh the empty and away you go.

We buy our oatmeal, 9 grain porridge, bulgar, dry beans, molasses, spices and a bunch of other dry goods there. It's amazing how much money seems to be in packaging. Spices in particular are typically less than a quarter the cost of individually packed containers.

When I'm making bread, meatballs, meatloaf or hamburgers I add rolled oats.

If one has the storage room lentils can last decades if stored in a dry place. They're bland and take on the taste of pretty much whatever they're put into. One can add them to the meatloaf or burger to stretch it as well.

This is a good discussion Bristoe, thanks for starting it.

All the best to you all this weekend.

Dwayne

I appreciate the info. I don't know of any place like you mention. But I'll look for them.

This winter I got a deal on sweet potatoes.
They are excellent condition and although they don't store as well, they aren't bad if cooled for a couple of months. Very tasty carbs and surprisingly good for most. Diabetics should try some and test too.
Other things on sale lately are cabbage, which can be fermented. Onions too, as celery and anything produce in season. Right now, I'm prepping for the spring garden.

Learn about wild edibles for foraging and planting.
Bristoe;
Thanks for the reply and good luck in the search.

We're lucky in that we've got a bunch of storage for stuff, so supposing you're the same.

Beans, rice, pasta etc are stored in those big gallon pickle jars that restaurants use. My wife found a dozen at a flea market or someplace?

Plastic tubs with a lid work fine too, but jars look cool and are easy to keep track of the amount left.

Buying bulk and then on sale too is how we've always shopped.

Good luck with the food shopping and thanks again for a productive thread.

Dwayne
Posted By: blanket Re: Low cost nutritious foods? - 01/16/22
Get to know your local locker. You would be surprised how much tongue and heart are pitched. Bones can be cooked down for bone broth. Potatoes, beans,dried peas and rice is cheap
Grain, cornmeal, oatmeal, mac& cheese.

I just priced out the cost of half a steer yesterday from a local rancher. After the purchase price and slaughterhouse charge for processing, it came to just over $8 per lb. That's about the same price as it is at the grocery store.
After eating beans and rice put the leftover rice in the fridge.

In the morning heat it up in a cast skillet then mix in your eggs or serve eggs over easy on top.

You can also dice up some potatoes and onions and mix them as well to taste.

Also you might try the many types of beans and find the ones that don't give you problems.
Left over rice mixed with eggs and onions and fried in bacon grease has been a favorite here for ever
Some of this reminds me of what I had to eat as a kid.

It's a recipe for poor folks.
Beefheart and Big Eyed Beans
🎤😎
We have a local farmer/beef producer/butcher.
He sells beef on the rail for $3/lb.
Depending on bone and fat, that works out to about $5.

That's for finished beef breeds.

And it's a good price compared to many.
The farmer is doing better than running them through an auction.

Too many beef guys sell, "prime" beef. Prime, because it's theirs.
And they want more than grocery store prices.
Most, are full of BS.

For some reason, the whole farm to table thing has driven this.
I remember buying stuff from farmers, especially corn.
They got more than selling wholesale, we paid less than retail.
Win-win. Everyone is happy.
Now, you buy products that a farmer sold, it was trucked to a warehouse,
then trucked to a store, and sold at the store. For less than these farmstands
charge. Pisses me off. And I don't buy from them. I like to support them,
and help them do better. I am not gonna be their patsy.
Posted By: drover Re: Low cost nutritious foods? - 01/16/22
Originally Posted by Burleyboy

Bb

This is the correct answer, the variations made with it can be near endless. High in protein and inexpensive, they can be purchased in large quantities and will keep practically forever. Just add a little meat of some sort or a salsa, even vegetables - with a little imagination it can fixed in so many ways that you should never get tired of it.

I did read your comment that your intestines are sensitive to beans but by gradually increasing the quantity that you eat your system will likely adapt in a short time.

Here are a few recipes but you are only limited by your imagination - https://www.allrecipes.com/gallery/how-the-world-does-rice-and-beans-recipes/
drover
Eggs.
Homemade bread.
don't hunt for bones, hunt for meat.

freezers full.. still got 3 elk quarters aging.
Buy a big bag of quonia.. I always have a few bags on hand from Costco.

It cooks up easy just like rice and is very healthy. I make a few cups at a time and keep it In the fridge.

Toss some in a skillet with veggies meat egg or whatever you have for leftovers with some soy and get all kinds of creative with seasoning..

Quite healthy and filling
Posted By: EdM Re: Low cost nutritious foods? - 01/16/22
I assume real estate is booming there just as it is elsewhere?
Originally Posted by EdM

It's crazy. The listed price is where the bidding starts.
Originally Posted by EdM

i.e., your dear wife is making bank...
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Low cost nutritious foods? - 01/16/22
I have found over the years the poorer and hungrier I am, the better cheap stuff tastes!

Handful of bulk oatmeal, a small handful of raisins, as BC30 described being purchased, some water and that was breakfast quite often while attending University.

Bristoe, you won't be able to head down to the docks and buy fish straight off the boat, but buying an albacore for $1/lb, getting a 50% return on meat off the carcass, smoking it myself was about 6 times cheaper than buying it in the store.

I had access to the landlady's freezer, so during turkey sales at the holidays I stocked up on a few. Smoked turkey dinners and soup from the carcass stretched tight money pretty good. Still do it every season as it was traditional in our family anyway.

Bought 1/4 beef last spring from our neighboring ranch. $7 a lb and they tossed in the liver, heart, and tongue! I need to get after the last two for me, wife won't eat them. Price was reasonable to me, local stimulus money and good organically raised beef grazed right over our fence.

Corn, beans, and squash are said to make a pretty complete amino acid profile. Kept a whole lot of Indians alive until the pox blankets arrived.

Just made a big pot of beef barley soup the other day, still eating on it. Soupbones from that cow, an onion, big garlic clove, some carrot and celery, and a cup of barley. Goes a long ways. Didn't skim off the fat and goodies from the bones, more nutritious!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

we make most all of our own bread, not sure if it's "cheaper" once the oven use gets figured in (but it's winter so I stop loading the wood stove on baking days). Probably saves a bit as a loaf of good bread seems to run $3.50+ here.

Chicken is a staple here, and the wife usually waits until it goes on sale for the family packs, then it gets stocked in the freezer.

Mediterranean diet can be good too, if you don't mind pasta and rice with a little protein for a meal with fresh veggies and salad.

small boars and sows are good, big stinky boars are not fit to eat.
Posted By: fjlee Re: Low cost nutritious foods? - 01/16/22

I usually have half a bag or so of deer corn left over after my south Texas hunt.

Pick out and toss the stix and pebbles. Leave the bugs, worms and weevils in....for added protein.

I also have 1 of the old fashioned cast iron hand cranked meat/food grinder.

I grind that corn....running it thru the grinder 2-3 times.....grinding finer with each cycle.

Makes good corn meal, corn bread, corn meal mush, fried mush, muffins etc. Also a good extender to mix into a meat loaf
or meatballs. Once you get the hang of it,you can also make corn tortillas.

It's also good mixed maybe 1 part corn meal to 4-6 parts store bought wheat flour as an extender to make bread and biscuits.

I can't remember exactly, but I think recent price of deer corn, by the 40-50 pound bag, was maybe 20-30 cents per pound.

This from HEB, Academy, or Walmart.

FjLee........... Denver,Colorado
Posted By: TheKid Re: Low cost nutritious foods? - 01/16/22
I bought enough turkeys to fill the dead space in my freezer when they went on sale after thanksgiving. The were .99 a pound and a 12 pounder will make a couple meals for us plus a pot of soup and sandwiches for my lunchbox for the week.

You need to get on that neighbor with the fish ponds hood side. We’re eating on crappie, catfish, and saugeye filets from last spring. They’re pretty good eating and supposedly good for you.

We put two deer in the freezer this year, less than usual but we’ll get by. I may peel the backstraps out of a few pigs if they don’t smell too bad. They work good for pork and green chile burritos or for curing into Canadian bacon. And I shoot them in the bar ditches and what not so the input cost is low. We shot and ate some squirrels the other day and they sure were good, need to go get another mess.

And as you already know and 43 posters have said, my ancestors made it through the dust bowl on beans and cornbread. Don’t get much cheaper than that.
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by EdM

She's found herself in an envious position. Real estate is good and the hospital is giving out generous bonus' to keep the nurse turnover to a minimum.

It's almost as envious a position as I'm in,.....being retired and married to a woman who's in an envious position.
Originally Posted by Triggernosis

I just priced out the cost of half a steer yesterday from a local rancher. After the purchase price and slaughterhouse charge for processing, it came to just over $8 per lb. That's about the same price as it is at the grocery store.

We grow our own beef and if I remember correctly(last spring) if was $4/lb for a personal critter.
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper

🎤😎

Classic Captain.
Geno;
Good evening to you my cyber friend, I hope you're doing as fine as that soup looks!

My goodness that's a good looking photo, I can almost taste it. cool

As you and others have mentioned, making soup from a bird carcass, ham bones, etc is a great way to extend the use of that food.

Pearled and pot barley are another thing we pick up at Bulk Barn and I love it in the wonderful soups my wife makes.

While I'm trying to expand my cooking, I'm more of a venison roast and potatoes or sausages and perogies cook, though again I am learning to stretch my repertoire a bit.

When I took up ice fishing we've found that we both don't mind perch tacos for instance and next week I'm attempting some fish patties using mashed potatoes, egg and white fleshed fish which again will be perch.

Not that on any balance sheet it'd pay the diesel for me to drive to the mountain lake where I go ice fishing or anything close, but it does keep me more or less sane and out of trouble.

Again I'll say it's been a grand thread with a lot of thoughtful input - kudos one and all for that - it's nice to see. grin

All the best to you all down in your part of the planet sir.

Dwayne
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Low cost nutritious foods? - 01/16/22

Lentils

They are no easier on your system than beans. Lots of fiber though.
Slip a bit of fiber in what you eat,
In the spring you can go out in your back yard and pick some night crawlers. Then sneak over to your neighbors pond, put them crawlers on a hook and bring home some fish. For now, load up your .22 and go get some venison, rabbit, squirrel whatever edible critters you got around. Don't get much cheaper than that and it's good for you..
Posted By: ihookem Re: Low cost nutritious foods? - 01/16/22
The biggest problem in our family is my wife throws out so much food it is maddening . She cleaned the fridge and I went through the thrown out food. I could have had several meals. About 10 oz. of cashews, 5 apples, some cheese and other things. As for saving money, that is what we need to do. Me, being raised by 2 depression parents, cheap as can be and I followed . My wife, raised by 2 hippies. Her dad was downright rich till he ruined it from drinking. New cadilacs every year, made $85 K in 1972. I still dont make that. As for me, I dont eat deer heart or liver. That is about all I waste but I might start eating heart. We used to raise chickens , we dont anymore. The rotisery for 8 bucks are fairly good m not as good as our home raised but a lot easier . No more egg layers neither. The 86 yr old lady sells us all we want for $1.75 doz. and they are huge.
Posted By: RUM7 Re: Low cost nutritious foods? - 01/16/22
Split pea soup with a ham hock in it.
Throw in an onion and you've really got something.

Cheap and good.
Grew up with parents molded in the great depression. Always had a garden and canned the yield. Stewed canned tomatoes in bulk as you could turn them into anything from soups to marinara sauce. Mom would buy old laying hens cheap and can chicken. Cold packed carp was salmon patties mixed with egg and crackers and fried. Soups, pasta, Cajun rice and beans, Mexican tortillas with beans and peppers, fried corn mush and corn bread, rice gets boring but feeds half the world. Pork is still the cheap play, Garden, have a couple dozen laying hens free ranging , and adjust
As mentioned, I eat fairly simple. My wife occasionally cooks up a big pot of stuff that we refer to as simply, "noodles". Her mother used to make it when she was a kid.

It's elbow macaroni, some ground beef with chopped onions, and some stewed tomatoes with tomato sauce.

It's basic eats, but I like it. It nukes up good in the microwave, too.

Every time she makes up a pot, I live on it for 3 or 4 days.

Spoon up a bowl,...nuke it,..,sprinkle on some salt and grated parmesan cheese,....it's good enough.
Slip a bit of fiber in what you eat,

Beans are fiber
Originally Posted by ihookem
The biggest problem in our family is my wife throws out so much food it is maddening . She cleaned the fridge and I went through the thrown out food. I could have had several meals. About 10 oz. of cashews, 5 apples, some cheese and other things. As for saving money, that is what we need to do. Me, being raised by 2 depression parents, cheap as can be and I followed . My wife, raised by 2 hippies. Her dad was downright rich till he ruined it from drinking. New cadilacs every year, made $85 K in 1972. I still dont make that. As for me, I dont eat deer heart or liver. That is about all I waste but I might start eating heart. We used to raise chickens , we dont anymore. The rotisery for 8 bucks are fairly good m not as good as our home raised but a lot easier . No more egg layers neither. The 86 yr old lady sells us all we want for $1.75 doz. and they are huge.

Problem is we are not that hungry yet
Pinto beans
Lentils
Flour
Rice
Chicken
Cabbage
Fruits and vegetables in season
Pork (relatively inexpensive meat but has considerable fat which isn’t healthy)
Does she cook borshe
I was a po kid in college and competing on a mountain bike.

I ate a schit ton of eggs, sweet potatoes, rice, and broccoli. I’d buy the near expired meat from the discount bin.

Use to get a 40 of St Ides for under a buck to boot😂
Posted By: 673 Re: Low cost nutritious foods? - 01/16/22
Chinese food.
I’m not really fond of deer venison but canned venison is a whole bunch better. A pressure canner isn’t expensive and you can take venison or the really cheaper cuts of beef and can them. They become tender and flavorful and can be used in stews and skillet dishes . Once you try it, canned meat really becomes a favorite dish.
My mother would make macaroni with stewed tomatoes as the evening meal. Most likely the reason I will never eat that again
breakfast - pancakes and oatmeal

Lunch and dinner rice, beans, lentils, pork, chicken, eggs.

You can eat pretty cheap if you need to. Fried rice with chicken or pork is cheap, add and egg and some peas and carrots.
As mentioned, I eat fairly simple. My wife occasionally cooks up a big pot of stuff that we refer to as simply, "noodles". Her mother used to make it when she was a kid.

It's elbow macaroni, some ground beef with chopped onions, and some stewed tomatoes with tomato sauce.

Spoon up a bowl,...nuke it,..,sprinkle on some salt and grated parmesan cheese,....it's good enough.

Had plenty of that kind of thing growing up too.

Another was burger meat, brown gravy, onion, served over rice. Stretched that one earner budget with five kids quite nicely.

And they're both still my comfort foods.

My Mom called that goulash, I loved it!
Posted By: kennyd Re: Low cost nutritious foods? - 01/16/22
Beans, rice, eggs. Homemade wholegrain pancakes with brown sugar/ mapeline syrup. (I spring for real msple syrup though)

That stuff you call noodles is what my wife calls shipwreck. It is even better the next day.

Those of us who already use left overs are up against it. Yesterdays roast or pork chop is todays hash.
Geno;
Good evening to you my cyber friend, I hope you're doing as fine as that soup looks!

As you and others have mentioned, making soup from a bird carcass, ham bones, etc is a great way to extend the use of that food.

Pearled and pot barley are another thing we pick up at Bulk Barn and I love it in the wonderful soups my wife makes.

While I'm trying to expand my cooking, I'm more of a venison roast and potatoes or sausages and perogies cook, though again I am learning to stretch my repertoire a bit.

When I took up ice fishing we've found that we both don't mind perch tacos for instance and next week I'm attempting some fish patties using mashed potatoes, egg and white fleshed fish which again will be perch.

Not that on any balance sheet it'd pay the diesel for me to drive to the mountain lake where I go ice fishing or anything close, but it does keep me more or less sane and out of trouble.

Again I'll say it's been a grand thread with a lot of thoughtful input - kudos one and all for that - it's nice to see. grin

Dwayne

Dwayne, way up north of me.

I sure wish we had some perch around here. I guess I could get a non-resident license and drive the 100 miles to Klamath Lake and find some in the spring, but that negates the inexpensiveness of the meal. I sure do love that white flesh of them things, better than walleye in my opinion (haters gonna hate that statement!)

Sausages and pirogi (with kraut) can make a tasty and relatively cheap meal too. Reminds me I need to do better with the cabbage next season, bugs got most of it. Didn't make any kraut, I need to address that issue.

My wife didn't like the pearl barley, thought it was "slimy" in her words. I like barley so if slimy I never noticed. Soup was good otherwise, needed a shot of hot sauce stuff though, which made it entirely satisfying.

Hope you all are getting some moisture up that way, as ours has dried up. Unfortunately. Still in severe drought territory, even after the snow and rain in December. Oh well, living in the West has other benefits.

Good evening to you and a fine Sunday tomorrow.
Originally Posted by local_dirt

🎤😎

Classic Captain.

Yes sir. As a young man I sang covers up through Ice Cream For Crow. ....then I ruined my vocal cords. 😎😄. Oh my, oh my.
Geno;

Dwayne

Dwayne, where are you getting perch in your parts? My favourite freshwater fish (along with walleye). I am so looking forward to retiring and moving to the interior.
Yes sir. As a young man I sang covers up through Ice Cream For Crow. ....then I ruined my vocal cords. 😎😄. Oh my, oh my.

Well jamming cock down your larynx will do that son. Gods way of punishing you for your sins.
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by EdM

She's found herself in an envious position. Real estate is good and the hospital is giving out generous bonus' to keep the nurse turnover to a minimum.

It's almost as envious a position as I'm in,.....being retired and married to a woman who's in an envious position.

My point. So you can afford meat and asparagus???

Lentils

Hate beans, but lentil soup is delicious with hot sauce.

This winter I got a deal on sweet potatoes.
They are excellent condition and although they don't store as well, they aren't bad if cooled for a couple of months. Very tasty carbs and surprisingly good for most. Diabetics should try some and test too.
Other things on sale lately are cabbage, which can be fermented. Onions too, as celery and anything produce in season. Right now, I'm prepping for the spring garden.

Learn about wild edibles for foraging and planting.

[quote=Happy_Camper]

EAT A DICK YOU PIECE OF SCHIDT.
Originally Posted by hillestadj

Well jamming cock down your larynx will do that son. Gods way of punishing you for your sins.

LMAO. Savage

Originally Posted by bubbajay

That's been your obsession.

...." An evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh."

...." An evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh."

I guess I call it as I see it. Maybe I should change it to eat an adult dick, ya effing pedophile.
Posted By: Oakster Re: Low cost nutritious foods? - 01/16/22
Feel lucky here... we have the nice spiral cut hams at like 70% off. What used to be a $43 ham is $11.50. I put 5 of them in a freezer. The one we cooked for family dinner fed 5 people, then fed me for breakfast and dinner for a work week and the wife had dinner off of it for a week. we have half of it in the freezer for next week yet. for $11, it fed a lot of people a lot of meals.
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by EdM

Well, yeah. I can afford it. But I've always been a frugal kind of guy,..and food can get expensive these days. So I was wondering if anybody had some ideas on good, cheap food that I hadn't thought about.

I guess I call it as I see it. Maybe I should change it to eat an adult dick, ya effing pedophile.

I've probably read that statement over a dozen times from you to me and others. I don't remember ever starting any arguments with you, but I won't be you or anyone else constantly walk all over me.
So now you've gone to another level.
False criminal accusations.
I am putting you on record.
Maybe Rick Bin should look into this.
This certainly violates the first rule.
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by EdM

Well, yeah. I can afford it. But I've always been a frugal kind of guy,..and food can get expensive these days. So I was wondering if anybody had some ideas on good, cheap food that I hadn't thought about.

Nothing wrong with that. You prioritize the nutrition and that's what counts most. I think that it's more cost effective to go that route than to do what lots do and eat cheap, nutritionally void foods.

Are you gonna send private messages to owner saying I won’t be nice to you? Eat an adult dick you sick [bleep].

I've probably read that statement over a dozen times from you to me and others. I don't remember ever starting any arguments with you, but I won't be you or anyone else constantly walk all over me.
I am putting you on record.

Does being a lying sack of schidt violate any rules?
Posted By: 1minute Re: Low cost nutritious foods? - 01/16/22
Dog food - buy the 50 lb bags.
Chop up a head of green cabbage. Brown up a pound of hamburger. Throw the cabbage in with the burger and add garlic, seasoned salt, and red pepper flakes to taste. Don't overcook the cabbage. Scoop you some into a bowl and give it a splash of white vinegar.

Marinate a mess of chicken thighs in Italian dressing overnight. Throw them in the air fryer for 20 minutes while you're steaming some broccoli. If you don't have an air fryer bake or grill them, but an air fryer works like magic.

Make a big pot of taco soup. Pound of hamburger browned, some beef broth, a can of stewed tomatoes, couple of cans of black and pinto beans, can of corn, chopped onion, packet of taco seasoning, and throw it all in a pot to cook. Top with shredded cheese, a little sour cream, and serve with tortillas or tortilla chips.

Throw some chicken or a roast in a crock pot with some broth, half a stick of butter, a packet of ranch dressing mix, and bunch of banana peppers and some of the juice out of the bottle (I add jalapenos too). Let it cook until you can shred the meat. Serve it over mashed potatoes or rice or make burritos out of it.

If making burritos, make a some cilantro lime rice. Cook whatever rice you like (I'm lazy so I use Minute Rice cooked in chicken broth instead of water), chop up a small bunch of cilantro and add to it along with garlic, lime juice (and lime zest if using fresh limes), a little sugar, and salt and pepper to taste. Stuff it all in a tortilla with whatever fixings you like.

Hamburger patties cooked in french onion soup topped with a slice of provolone. Baked potato and a vegetable of your chosing.

A baked potato smothered in chili and cheese or taco fixings.

A grilled ham and cheese sandwich and a bowl of soup.
Posted By: MarkWV Re: Low cost nutritious foods? - 01/16/22
May have already been posted. IDK???

One thing we fixed at the cabin during deer season was what I’ll call stuffing casserole. Take a box of Stove Top Stuffing, can of Cream of Chicken soup, can of Cream of Celery soup and a can of chicken. Mix the chicken and soups in the bottom of a baking dish, Spread the stuffing on top then bake at 350 for however long you like to have the top crispy.

This can be done cheaply with store branded items and you can choose how much chicken you want in the dish. Wife said she thought it was too much soup so now we just use the one can of Cream of Celery. I like it either way and the wife sautés additional chopped celery pieces to go into the stuffing mix.
Not sure if you YANKS eat Barley, but here in Down Under, we make a stew from any cheap meat you like, beef, pork or chicken, sometimes lamb if you can get a cheap shoulder, and put 1-2 cups of Barley in depending on stew size of course. You can freeze individual portions or the whole thing and heat it up in camp while you hunt, the smell upon your return will be delicious.
It makes for a wholesome and delicious meal that keeps your energy up with very little actually eaten.
The other thing I use a lot of is oats, either as porridge or as homemade muesli bars or slice.
I also take small tins of flavoured tuna with crackers to have for lunch. It is cheap and very nutritious.

Cheers.
Posted By: 158XTP Re: Low cost nutritious foods? - 01/16/22
rice is usually the No.1 in UN relief operations. Cheapest per energy benefit, long shelf life, dense storage. Also lentils, chickpeas, any other of the hard vege pellet types. keep in mind these need fuel . if cooking and heating becomes expensive, cold soaking can speed it up. Other grains and cereals may need less energy to prepare.

For protein, eggs and chicken stay the most affordable in poor countries I have seen. Also offal, a favorite of our ancestors. Beef and sheeps heart are veru nutritious and fry up like normal steak. Kidney and liver if you like them. Pigs feet, pigs head( quite a bit of meat on a pigs head), gel brauns, fish head stews. Also all the less popular fishing options. Catfish, eel, baitfish, squid, ray, shark, whatever you have in your region.
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: Low cost nutritious foods? - 01/16/22
Dandelions.
Posted By: jdunham Re: Low cost nutritious foods? - 01/16/22
Canned venison. You can use it a thousand different ways. If this is the “new normal”, I would start canning if I didn’t already.
Originally Posted by blanket
Originally Posted by ihookem

Problem is we are not that hungry yet

True, we are no that hungry yet, but it's coming .
Serious inquiry.

Build a nice hen house, get a dozen female chicks, and wait for the eggs to come rolling in.
Cornmeal mush.
Wabby, you will never go hungry . You must own 1,000 cows by now.
Ham is cheap.

Turkey is cheap.

Chicken is cheap.

Local beef and pork is cheap.

Cheapest thing I ever bought was a huge, 60 dollar ham.

We ate all week on that....stretched with bread, potatoes and beans.
Us, an' the bank! More like a hundred.
Informative thread, gents, thank you.
Originally Posted by 158XTP
rice is usually the No.1 in UN relief operations. Cheapest per energy benefit, long shelf life, dense storage. Also lentils, chickpeas, any other of the hard vege pellet types. keep in mind these need fuel . if cooking and heating becomes expensive, cold soaking can speed it up. Other grains and cereals may need less energy to prepare.

For protein, eggs and chicken stay the most affordable in poor countries I have seen. Also offal, a favorite of our ancestors. Beef and sheeps heart are veru nutritious and fry up like normal steak. Kidney and liver if you like them. Pigs feet, pigs head( quite a bit of meat on a pigs head), gel brauns, fish head stews. Also all the less popular fishing options. Catfish, eel, baitfish, squid, ray, shark, whatever you have in your region.

Catfish is very popular fish around here.
Thanks for the ideas. This will be the first thread I bookmark.

A flock of free ranging laying hens is super easy and cheap to keep, and the rewards are great. That's why such was ubiquitous anywhere you found human beings for most of human history.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

A flock of free ranging laying hens is super easy and cheap to keep, and the rewards are great. That's why such was ubiquitous anywhere you found human beings for most of human history.

I've thought about getting some chickens.
Beans and Vegetables
Posted By: hosfly Re: Low cost nutritious foods? - 01/16/22
I dont think anyone has mentioned the dented can store yet? usually one in in every town, they have damaged cans or somtimes torn or missing labels,, I know several who frequent these store an come away with good buys at a big savings,, Quality thread !!
Dried beans
Canned tuna
Posted By: RJY66 Re: Low cost nutritious foods? - 01/16/22
I have an older friend who was raised in rural Georgia during the depression. He says some days they would have cornbread and peas. Other days they would have peas and cornbread.

By peas he meant purple hulls. They grow fast and a gardener can make two crops of them during the growing season. I would prefer to eat them as a steady diet opposed to beans but both are okay.

Somebody tell me the difference between a pea and a lentil?
RJY66;
Good afternoon to you sir, I hope the day's been behaving for you and you're getting the weather you need in your part of Georgia.

Here's a quick link as to the difference between eating and cooking lentils or field peas.

https://www.thekitchn.com/whats-the-difference-between-split-peas-and-lentils-word-of-mouth-214986

Way, way back in the day - about '81 - we were trying to grow field peas, lentils and fava beans in our part of Saskatchewan. We did it for a few reasons, one of which was that they were not governed by a marketing board like all the seed grains were then and still might be, I'm not exactly sure. It gave us a crop we could sell when we needed to free up some cash, or that was the theory.

Back then too there weren't any soybean varieties that'd grow that far north, but if I'm not wrong they're now able to grow soybeans there.

Lentils or at least the kind we grew, would make it to perhaps 10" tall and then fall over as they ripened. That meant to swath them, we installed drag pads on the outside of the header and any stone bigger than a golf ball would break a knife. We did it with a small swather that was half the size of what I'd run on Canola.

Because of the tangling nature of the lentil vines and the stones breaking the knives, when my elder brother had been on that field less than a couple hours, he came onto our VHF band radio and said to my older cousin who farmed with us, "I'm done with this >>>>>, you won't like it either. If Dwayne isn't patient enough to do this <<<<<< then I say we disc it under... Your call Dwayne.." eek laugh

I want to say it took me two and a half days to swath that quarter section, where I'd usually knock off a half section a day with the regular swather doing Canola.

Field peas grew even taller and then would tangle up when they fell over, but somehow the next year when we did them we'd figured out how to pack the rocks in the field a little better and had a different swather setup.

Honestly I still wince a wee bit when I'm cooking lentils to this day. shocked wink

All the best to you in the upcoming week.

Dwayne
Posted By: 158XTP Re: Low cost nutritious foods? - 01/17/22
Originally Posted by 158XTP

Catfish is very popular fish around here.

Nice. I like eels myself.
Posted By: Dutch Re: Low cost nutritious foods? - 01/17/22
The combination of people moving away from the land and general lack of parents teaching home making skills has made living much more expensive. We buy a beef every year, and this year will be the first year it’ll average over $4.00. We started buying a pig last year as well, much cheaper than beef.

When food was a significant part of the household expenses, people used the liver, heart and kidneys. I’m not a fan of liver and onion, so I have the butcher grind the liver and add it to the ground beef at up to 15%. I’m not a fan of fried heart, but it certainly goes into the ground beef just fine. Essentially, it’s “free meat”, and the most nutritious part of the animal.
Dutch, Can you taste or see the heart and liver in your ground beef? I've got a steer coming on in the next few weeks, might change my cutting order.
Posted By: Dutch Re: Low cost nutritious foods? - 01/17/22
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Dutch, Can you taste or see the heart and liver in your ground beef? I've got a steer coming on in the next few weeks, might change my cutting order.

I’ve had no complaints from anyone at 15% liver. The heart is a non issue. Make sure it’s mixed in well. When I first tested it on the Redhead, a avowed liver hater, she was set on not liking it, but had to agree it the liver was not noticeable.

Some folks say up to 20% on the liver, but I’ve not been that brave yet. If not sure, start at 10% and see how it goes.
Lockers use to mix heart, and tongue in our ground beef, never liver.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Low cost nutritious foods? - 01/17/22
Originally Posted by kenjs1
Dandelions.

Waiting on the ones in the lawn to come up.

And with the weather we're having, I think it'll be soon. 46F and bright and sunny. Same thing last week, and same thing predicted this week.

Maybe the hens will start laying again, now that the sun is coming back. If not, they might be turned into something to eat.
© 24hourcampfire