Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Originally Posted by 158XTP
rice is usually the No.1 in UN relief operations. Cheapest per energy benefit, long shelf life, dense storage. Also lentils, chickpeas, any other of the hard vege pellet types. keep in mind these need fuel . if cooking and heating becomes expensive, cold soaking can speed it up. Other grains and cereals may need less energy to prepare.

For protein, eggs and chicken stay the most affordable in poor countries I have seen. Also offal, a favorite of our ancestors. Beef and sheeps heart are veru nutritious and fry up like normal steak. Kidney and liver if you like them. Pigs feet, pigs head( quite a bit of meat on a pigs head), gel brauns, fish head stews. Also all the less popular fishing options. Catfish, eel, baitfish, squid, ray, shark, whatever you have in your region.

Catfish is very popular fish around here.

Nice. I like eels myself.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The combination of people moving away from the land and general lack of parents teaching home making skills has made living much more expensive. We buy a beef every year, and this year will be the first year it’ll average over $4.00. We started buying a pig last year as well, much cheaper than beef.

When food was a significant part of the household expenses, people used the liver, heart and kidneys. I’m not a fan of liver and onion, so I have the butcher grind the liver and add it to the ground beef at up to 15%. I’m not a fan of fried heart, but it certainly goes into the ground beef just fine. Essentially, it’s “free meat”, and the most nutritious part of the animal.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Dutch, Can you taste or see the heart and liver in your ground beef? I've got a steer coming on in the next few weeks, might change my cutting order.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Dutch, Can you taste or see the heart and liver in your ground beef? I've got a steer coming on in the next few weeks, might change my cutting order.

I’ve had no complaints from anyone at 15% liver. The heart is a non issue. Make sure it’s mixed in well. When I first tested it on the Redhead, a avowed liver hater, she was set on not liking it, but had to agree it the liver was not noticeable.

Some folks say up to 20% on the liver, but I’ve not been that brave yet. If not sure, start at 10% and see how it goes.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Lockers use to mix heart, and tongue in our ground beef, never liver.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kenjs1
Dandelions.

Waiting on the ones in the lawn to come up.

And with the weather we're having, I think it'll be soon. 46F and bright and sunny. Same thing last week, and same thing predicted this week.

Maybe the hens will start laying again, now that the sun is coming back. If not, they might be turned into something to eat.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (1minute, 219 Wasp, 007FJ, 1badf350, 1_deuce, 12344mag, 58 invisible), 2,308 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,027
Posts18,500,540
Members73,986
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.