Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
Some of this reminds me of what I had to eat as a kid.

It's a recipe for poor folks.
Beefheart and Big Eyed Beans
🎤😎

Classic Captain.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Geno;
Good evening to you my cyber friend, I hope you're doing as fine as that soup looks!

My goodness that's a good looking photo, I can almost taste it. cool

As you and others have mentioned, making soup from a bird carcass, ham bones, etc is a great way to extend the use of that food.

Pearled and pot barley are another thing we pick up at Bulk Barn and I love it in the wonderful soups my wife makes.

While I'm trying to expand my cooking, I'm more of a venison roast and potatoes or sausages and perogies cook, though again I am learning to stretch my repertoire a bit.

When I took up ice fishing we've found that we both don't mind perch tacos for instance and next week I'm attempting some fish patties using mashed potatoes, egg and white fleshed fish which again will be perch.

Not that on any balance sheet it'd pay the diesel for me to drive to the mountain lake where I go ice fishing or anything close, but it does keep me more or less sane and out of trouble.

Again I'll say it's been a grand thread with a lot of thoughtful input - kudos one and all for that - it's nice to see. grin

All the best to you all down in your part of the planet sir.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Originally Posted by Whiptail

Lentils

Start eating these things and you'll healthier than people who eat expensive food.

I've read that lentils are very nutritious. I don't think I've even eaten any.

They are no easier on your system than beans. Lots of fiber though.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Slip a bit of fiber in what you eat,

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
In the spring you can go out in your back yard and pick some night crawlers. Then sneak over to your neighbors pond, put them crawlers on a hook and bring home some fish. For now, load up your .22 and go get some venison, rabbit, squirrel whatever edible critters you got around. Don't get much cheaper than that and it's good for you..

IC B2

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
The biggest problem in our family is my wife throws out so much food it is maddening . She cleaned the fridge and I went through the thrown out food. I could have had several meals. About 10 oz. of cashews, 5 apples, some cheese and other things. As for saving money, that is what we need to do. Me, being raised by 2 depression parents, cheap as can be and I followed . My wife, raised by 2 hippies. Her dad was downright rich till he ruined it from drinking. New cadilacs every year, made $85 K in 1972. I still dont make that. As for me, I dont eat deer heart or liver. That is about all I waste but I might start eating heart. We used to raise chickens , we dont anymore. The rotisery for 8 bucks are fairly good m not as good as our home raised but a lot easier . No more egg layers neither. The 86 yr old lady sells us all we want for $1.75 doz. and they are huge.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Split pea soup with a ham hock in it.
Throw in an onion and you've really got something.

Cheap and good.

"The Ballpark burgers were free, why not eat them?"
- Wabi-
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Grew up with parents molded in the great depression. Always had a garden and canned the yield. Stewed canned tomatoes in bulk as you could turn them into anything from soups to marinara sauce. Mom would buy old laying hens cheap and can chicken. Cold packed carp was salmon patties mixed with egg and crackers and fried. Soups, pasta, Cajun rice and beans, Mexican tortillas with beans and peppers, fried corn mush and corn bread, rice gets boring but feeds half the world. Pork is still the cheap play, Garden, have a couple dozen laying hens free ranging , and adjust

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
As mentioned, I eat fairly simple. My wife occasionally cooks up a big pot of stuff that we refer to as simply, "noodles". Her mother used to make it when she was a kid.

It's elbow macaroni, some ground beef with chopped onions, and some stewed tomatoes with tomato sauce.

It's basic eats, but I like it. It nukes up good in the microwave, too.

Every time she makes up a pot, I live on it for 3 or 4 days.

Spoon up a bowl,...nuke it,..,sprinkle on some salt and grated parmesan cheese,....it's good enough.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Slip a bit of fiber in what you eat,

Beans are fiber

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by ihookem
The biggest problem in our family is my wife throws out so much food it is maddening . She cleaned the fridge and I went through the thrown out food. I could have had several meals. About 10 oz. of cashews, 5 apples, some cheese and other things. As for saving money, that is what we need to do. Me, being raised by 2 depression parents, cheap as can be and I followed . My wife, raised by 2 hippies. Her dad was downright rich till he ruined it from drinking. New cadilacs every year, made $85 K in 1972. I still dont make that. As for me, I dont eat deer heart or liver. That is about all I waste but I might start eating heart. We used to raise chickens , we dont anymore. The rotisery for 8 bucks are fairly good m not as good as our home raised but a lot easier . No more egg layers neither. The 86 yr old lady sells us all we want for $1.75 doz. and they are huge.

Problem is we are not that hungry yet

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Pinto beans
Lentils
Flour
Rice
Chicken
Cabbage
Fruits and vegetables in season
Pork (relatively inexpensive meat but has considerable fat which isn’t healthy)

"Successful is leaving something in better shape than you inherited it in. Keep that in mind, son." Dad
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Does she cook borshe

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was a po kid in college and competing on a mountain bike.

I ate a schit ton of eggs, sweet potatoes, rice, and broccoli. I’d buy the near expired meat from the discount bin.

Use to get a 40 of St Ides for under a buck to boot😂

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Chinese food.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I’m not really fond of deer venison but canned venison is a whole bunch better. A pressure canner isn’t expensive and you can take venison or the really cheaper cuts of beef and can them. They become tender and flavorful and can be used in stews and skillet dishes . Once you try it, canned meat really becomes a favorite dish.

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
My mother would make macaroni with stewed tomatoes as the evening meal. Most likely the reason I will never eat that again

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
breakfast - pancakes and oatmeal

Lunch and dinner rice, beans, lentils, pork, chicken, eggs.

You can eat pretty cheap if you need to. Fried rice with chicken or pork is cheap, add and egg and some peas and carrots.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
As mentioned, I eat fairly simple. My wife occasionally cooks up a big pot of stuff that we refer to as simply, "noodles". Her mother used to make it when she was a kid.

It's elbow macaroni, some ground beef with chopped onions, and some stewed tomatoes with tomato sauce.

Spoon up a bowl,...nuke it,..,sprinkle on some salt and grated parmesan cheese,....it's good enough.

Had plenty of that kind of thing growing up too.

Another was burger meat, brown gravy, onion, served over rice. Stretched that one earner budget with five kids quite nicely.

And they're both still my comfort foods.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

My Mom called that goulash, I loved it!

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1badf350, 007FJ, 1Akshooter, 10ring1, 61 invisible), 2,474 guests, and 1,364 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,048
Posts18,500,939
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.