Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Beans, rice, eggs. Homemade wholegrain pancakes with brown sugar/ mapeline syrup. (I spring for real msple syrup though)

That stuff you call noodles is what my wife calls shipwreck. It is even better the next day.

Those of us who already use left overs are up against it. Yesterdays roast or pork chop is todays hash.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Geno;
Good evening to you my cyber friend, I hope you're doing as fine as that soup looks!

My goodness that's a good looking photo, I can almost taste it. cool

As you and others have mentioned, making soup from a bird carcass, ham bones, etc is a great way to extend the use of that food.

Pearled and pot barley are another thing we pick up at Bulk Barn and I love it in the wonderful soups my wife makes.

While I'm trying to expand my cooking, I'm more of a venison roast and potatoes or sausages and perogies cook, though again I am learning to stretch my repertoire a bit.

When I took up ice fishing we've found that we both don't mind perch tacos for instance and next week I'm attempting some fish patties using mashed potatoes, egg and white fleshed fish which again will be perch.

Not that on any balance sheet it'd pay the diesel for me to drive to the mountain lake where I go ice fishing or anything close, but it does keep me more or less sane and out of trouble.

Again I'll say it's been a grand thread with a lot of thoughtful input - kudos one and all for that - it's nice to see. grin

All the best to you all down in your part of the planet sir.

Dwayne

Dwayne, way up north of me.

I sure wish we had some perch around here. I guess I could get a non-resident license and drive the 100 miles to Klamath Lake and find some in the spring, but that negates the inexpensiveness of the meal. I sure do love that white flesh of them things, better than walleye in my opinion (haters gonna hate that statement!)

Sausages and pirogi (with kraut) can make a tasty and relatively cheap meal too. Reminds me I need to do better with the cabbage next season, bugs got most of it. Didn't make any kraut, I need to address that issue.

My wife didn't like the pearl barley, thought it was "slimy" in her words. I like barley so if slimy I never noticed. Soup was good otherwise, needed a shot of hot sauce stuff though, which made it entirely satisfying.

Hope you all are getting some moisture up that way, as ours has dried up. Unfortunately. Still in severe drought territory, even after the snow and rain in December. Oh well, living in the West has other benefits.

Good evening to you and a fine Sunday tomorrow.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
Some of this reminds me of what I had to eat as a kid.

It's a recipe for poor folks.
Beefheart and Big Eyed Beans
🎤😎

Classic Captain.

Yes sir. As a young man I sang covers up through Ice Cream For Crow. ....then I ruined my vocal cords. 😎😄. Oh my, oh my.

K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Geno;
Good evening to you my cyber friend, I hope you're doing as fine as that soup looks!

My goodness that's a good looking photo, I can almost taste it. cool

As you and others have mentioned, making soup from a bird carcass, ham bones, etc is a great way to extend the use of that food.

Pearled and pot barley are another thing we pick up at Bulk Barn and I love it in the wonderful soups my wife makes.

While I'm trying to expand my cooking, I'm more of a venison roast and potatoes or sausages and perogies cook, though again I am learning to stretch my repertoire a bit.

When I took up ice fishing we've found that we both don't mind perch tacos for instance and next week I'm attempting some fish patties using mashed potatoes, egg and white fleshed fish which again will be perch.

Not that on any balance sheet it'd pay the diesel for me to drive to the mountain lake where I go ice fishing or anything close, but it does keep me more or less sane and out of trouble.

Again I'll say it's been a grand thread with a lot of thoughtful input - kudos one and all for that - it's nice to see. grin

All the best to you all down in your part of the planet sir.

Dwayne

Dwayne, where are you getting perch in your parts? My favourite freshwater fish (along with walleye). I am so looking forward to retiring and moving to the interior.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes sir. As a young man I sang covers up through Ice Cream For Crow. ....then I ruined my vocal cords. 😎😄. Oh my, oh my.

Well jamming cock down your larynx will do that son. Gods way of punishing you for your sins.

IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by EdM
I assume real estate is booming there just as it is elsewhere?

It's crazy. The listed price is where the bidding starts.

i.e., your dear wife is making bank...

She's found herself in an envious position. Real estate is good and the hospital is giving out generous bonus' to keep the nurse turnover to a minimum.

It's almost as envious a position as I'm in,.....being retired and married to a woman who's in an envious position.

My point. So you can afford meat and asparagus???

Conduct is the best proof of character.
K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Whiptail

Lentils

Start eating these things and you'll healthier than people who eat expensive food.

I've read that lentils are very nutritious. I don't think I've even eaten any.

Hate beans, but lentil soup is delicious with hot sauce.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

This winter I got a deal on sweet potatoes.
They are excellent condition and although they don't store as well, they aren't bad if cooled for a couple of months. Very tasty carbs and surprisingly good for most. Diabetics should try some and test too.
Other things on sale lately are cabbage, which can be fermented. Onions too, as celery and anything produce in season. Right now, I'm prepping for the spring garden.

Learn about wild edibles for foraging and planting.

[quote=Happy_Camper]

EAT A DICK YOU PIECE OF SCHIDT.

K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by hillestadj

Well jamming cock down your larynx will do that son. Gods way of punishing you for your sins.

LMAO. Savage

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by bubbajay

That's been your obsession.

...." An evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh."

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 01/15/22.
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

...." An evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh."

I guess I call it as I see it. Maybe I should change it to eat an adult dick, ya effing pedophile.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Feel lucky here... we have the nice spiral cut hams at like 70% off. What used to be a $43 ham is $11.50. I put 5 of them in a freezer. The one we cooked for family dinner fed 5 people, then fed me for breakfast and dinner for a work week and the wife had dinner off of it for a week. we have half of it in the freezer for next week yet. for $11, it fed a lot of people a lot of meals.

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by EdM

She's found herself in an envious position. Real estate is good and the hospital is giving out generous bonus' to keep the nurse turnover to a minimum.

It's almost as envious a position as I'm in,.....being retired and married to a woman who's in an envious position.

Well, yeah. I can afford it. But I've always been a frugal kind of guy,..and food can get expensive these days. So I was wondering if anybody had some ideas on good, cheap food that I hadn't thought about.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I guess I call it as I see it. Maybe I should change it to eat an adult dick, ya effing pedophile.

I've probably read that statement over a dozen times from you to me and others. I don't remember ever starting any arguments with you, but I won't be you or anyone else constantly walk all over me.
So now you've gone to another level.
False criminal accusations.
I am putting you on record.
Maybe Rick Bin should look into this.
This certainly violates the first rule.

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 01/15/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by EdM

Well, yeah. I can afford it. But I've always been a frugal kind of guy,..and food can get expensive these days. So I was wondering if anybody had some ideas on good, cheap food that I hadn't thought about.

Nothing wrong with that. You prioritize the nutrition and that's what counts most. I think that it's more cost effective to go that route than to do what lots do and eat cheap, nutritionally void foods.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Are you gonna send private messages to owner saying I won’t be nice to you? Eat an adult dick you sick [bleep].

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I've probably read that statement over a dozen times from you to me and others. I don't remember ever starting any arguments with you, but I won't be you or anyone else constantly walk all over me.
I am putting you on record.

Does being a lying sack of schidt violate any rules?

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Dog food - buy the 50 lb bags.

Last edited by 1minute; 01/16/22.

1Minute
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Chop up a head of green cabbage. Brown up a pound of hamburger. Throw the cabbage in with the burger and add garlic, seasoned salt, and red pepper flakes to taste. Don't overcook the cabbage. Scoop you some into a bowl and give it a splash of white vinegar.

Marinate a mess of chicken thighs in Italian dressing overnight. Throw them in the air fryer for 20 minutes while you're steaming some broccoli. If you don't have an air fryer bake or grill them, but an air fryer works like magic.

Make a big pot of taco soup. Pound of hamburger browned, some beef broth, a can of stewed tomatoes, couple of cans of black and pinto beans, can of corn, chopped onion, packet of taco seasoning, and throw it all in a pot to cook. Top with shredded cheese, a little sour cream, and serve with tortillas or tortilla chips.

Throw some chicken or a roast in a crock pot with some broth, half a stick of butter, a packet of ranch dressing mix, and bunch of banana peppers and some of the juice out of the bottle (I add jalapenos too). Let it cook until you can shred the meat. Serve it over mashed potatoes or rice or make burritos out of it.

If making burritos, make a some cilantro lime rice. Cook whatever rice you like (I'm lazy so I use Minute Rice cooked in chicken broth instead of water), chop up a small bunch of cilantro and add to it along with garlic, lime juice (and lime zest if using fresh limes), a little sugar, and salt and pepper to taste. Stuff it all in a tortilla with whatever fixings you like.

Hamburger patties cooked in french onion soup topped with a slice of provolone. Baked potato and a vegetable of your chosing.

A baked potato smothered in chili and cheese or taco fixings.

A grilled ham and cheese sandwich and a bowl of soup.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
May have already been posted. IDK???

One thing we fixed at the cabin during deer season was what I’ll call stuffing casserole. Take a box of Stove Top Stuffing, can of Cream of Chicken soup, can of Cream of Celery soup and a can of chicken. Mix the chicken and soups in the bottom of a baking dish, Spread the stuffing on top then bake at 350 for however long you like to have the top crispy.

This can be done cheaply with store branded items and you can choose how much chicken you want in the dish. Wife said she thought it was too much soup so now we just use the one can of Cream of Celery. I like it either way and the wife sautés additional chopped celery pieces to go into the stuffing mix.

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1badf350, 1936M71, 54 invisible), 2,336 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,043
Posts18,500,820
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.