Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mike78
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
In 2019 I visited the visitor center 4 miles from the St. Helens summit. The ranger held up a square she had made, one meter on a side, and told us, "Imagine 60,000 tons per second going through this square, 4 miles from the eruption."

Sounds like my girlfriend's IUD

Comment from out of the blue made me laugh.

Well done

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Quite the ordeal for sure. I was 5 when she blew, remember handkerchiefs the first couple days, then masks. Rainier blows, gonna be alotta folks hurtin..

For the dumbfuuck that said, "tuttle" its, toutle river... đź‘Ť

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Quite an event. I lived in Yakima at the time. Had an inch or more on my roof. I set plastic sheets out on my lawn to collect ash. When it stopped, I couldn't even pull up the sheets because of all the weight. I kept several buckets of the stuff and used it to weight the back-end of my pickup when roads were icy. It sure helped to throrw a few handfuls of ash on the ice to get you going.
I flew some NBC? news crews into the crater to report on the dome that was forming but it basiclly was a non-event . I also slow hovered over many acres of corn and hops to blow the ash off, It turned out to be a good thing, I heard that the wheat farmers had a bumper crop,

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Ringman
Originally Posted by ironbender
Why did god do that to the PNW?

Maybe to show how quickly vast layers can be laid down.

đź‘Ťđź‘Ť

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In early 1981 I was being recruited/interviewed for a job near Seattle and, as part of the process, they took me up in a nice pressurized Cessna for a tour of the Puget Sound area. Once we got down to Olympia we flew southeast to have an eagle's view the Mt. St. Helen's area. Evidence of the sweep and magnitude of that eruption event was stunning - difficult to believe that such enormous power can be so quickly unleashed from the Earth's crust.

Creation must have been quite an event.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
We had an eruption up here not too long ago with Mt. Redoubt… we evacuated our airplanes (C-17’s) out of an abundance of caution. On a subsequent flight, I had a USGS geologist on board and asked her about her opinion on when it would erupt… She said “geology is a funny thing- it could be 5 minutes from now or 50,000 years”.

Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by LoadClear
We had an eruption up here not too long ago with Mt. Redoubt… we evacuated our airplanes (C-17’s) out of an abundance of caution. On a subsequent flight, I had a USGS geologist on board and asked her about her opinion on when it would erupt… She said “geology is a funny thing- it could be 5 minutes from now or 50,000 years”.

Fact, and just as true for earthquake predictions.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Judman
Quite the ordeal for sure. I was 5 when she blew, remember handkerchiefs the first couple days, then masks. Rainier blows, gonna be alotta folks hurtin..

For the dumbfuuck that said, "tuttle" its, toutle river... đź‘Ť

I live on a plateau overlooking the mouth of the Nisqually. Could be an interesting view.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Rainier is far from dormant. They have earthquakes up there almost on a weekly basis. Most are very small, likely not even felt by people, but they do have some pretty good shakers on occasion. Some of them are actually glacier quakes, caused by the movement of ice so they don't affect the rocks.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Rainier is far from dormant. They have earthquakes up there almost on a weekly basis. Most are very small, likely not even felt by people, but they do have some pretty good shakers on occasion. Some of them are actually glacier quakes, caused by the movement of ice so they don't affect the rocks.

I see Rainier every day that it’s clear enough. Some days it looks really pretty. Some days you can’t help but feel like its looming over you.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When first living in the Puget Sound area, I was tickled by the local expression "Ranier is out today" - which meant that cloudless conditions enable one to see it from a great distance. Quickly came to appreciate that.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I wish there was an angry volcano near Memphrica

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (160user, 270cowboy, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 219 Wasp, 67 invisible), 2,549 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,088
Posts18,482,895
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.