Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Google "Smithfield country ham"... it was the Gold Standard forever. At least for us Virginians

IMHO... shave as thin as possible (often called chipping)... amazing stuff... on top of biscuits and gravy... chipped beef... grilled cheese sandwiches... you use VERY LITTLE... VERY THIN and VERY LITTLE...

A dried ham will last for months...
A real country ham is every bit as good as an Italian Speck! Just like Speck, it get's better with age, with a year being about minimum and 2 years being prime. I'm gonna make a couple and set them up like Capicola, in a rack with a towel draped over it so I can slice a little off whenever I walk by.

Jim, you could certainly handle making your own.

Politics is War by Other Means

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
I buy this brand of sliced ham at the local grocery. My mom boiled country hams then baked them. I rinse the sliced then cook them. Frying the slices in a bit of black coffee is good.

I forgot about that...

Red Eye Gravy... google it.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by skeen
Originally Posted by pullit
we eat country ham form time to time. We usually fry it in coke, it takes a little of the salt out and gives it a little sweet taste. You wind up with a sweet and salty state.

Huh. That's interesting.

I can see that...

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Benton hams are in Madisonville Tennessee, I don’t like country ham,but they also have some of the best bacon you will ever eat

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here's a vid on making your own from UK. The basic technique works with many cuts of hog.

Politics is War by Other Means
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I love it with fried, runny eggs.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I like it raw

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Buddy in Colorado made his own. He was a nerdy fella, Professor of microbiology at CSU, he got way into it.

They’d hang in his basement for months and months. Some were pretty damn good. He didn’t smoke them though.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Google "Smithfield country ham"... it was the Gold Standard forever. At least for us Virginians

IMHO... shave as thin as possible (often called chipping)... amazing stuff... on top of biscuits and gravy... chipped beef... grilled cheese sandwiches... you use VERY LITTLE... VERY THIN and VERY LITTLE...

Hell, looking at an ice cream maker here in the corner... I would make bacon or country ham ice cream even. The salt/Sodium is a killer... be careful or your BP will jack.

A dried ham will last for months...

Smithfield bought by China 3 or so years ago.

https://www.myrecipes.com/extracris...any-three-years-ago-has-anything-changed

Hell... China owns everything anymore... your bourbon is probably owned by China... fugg I hate that...

I love country ham but don't like Smithfield brand at all.

My favorite is turner hams from Fulks Run, VA followed by kites from over in Madison County.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by slumlord
I like it raw

For sure, I always eat as much raw as ends up in the bean pot

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
https://foothillscountryham.com/

Good stuff! I “fry” it in water to get some of the salt out. About once every couple of months or so is enough. As said Country ham will put your BP through the roof.

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

We NEVER cook a whole have, that’s what fuggin picnic shoulders are for. (My opinion)

We alwaya get our’s sliced up and then I clean-scrape the marrow, trim the bone and rind. I put up 2 this last month

Repackage it in vac seal food saver bags 2-3 slices at a time

Country ham is for breakfast around here.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

We NEVER cook a whole have, that’s what fuggin picnic shoulders are for. (My opinion)

We alwaya get our’s sliced up and then I clean-scrape the marrow, trim the bone and rind. I put up 2 this last month

Holy crap. Feeding an army?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Mrs slumlord eats a lot of country ham, she has too. Her blood pressure runs about 80 over 60

it’s therapeutic for her 😃😂

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by gunzo
My family never smoked them. Just hand rubbed in curing salt, & rubbed some more. Dad, my mom's dad, dad's sister, neighbors, the whole bunch cured the same. They all dreaded doing it as their hands would get so raw.

Put inside a heavy paper sack & hung for about a year. That might indicate the expense of one that's properly done. A big slice cooked med-rare in cast iron & country eggs fried in the ham grease might be the best breakfast there is.

This...PaPa's meat house was a cinder block building under a huge Water Oak. He used a lot of salt, pepper and some brown sugar. Seems like we would rub the hams for days but as kids didn't mind because we knew Granny would be making us some fresh crackling. That is the best breakfast ever! No 2 slices were the same when PaPa cut it off the bone! Still love it but I am about the only one who eats it here now. Soaking in water does remove a lot of the salt but it doesn't taste as good.
Most places that sale it whole also sale individual slices if your not sure you will like it.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I like it raw

I do as well in small portions & thought that the threat of trichinosis was gone for the most part. But I've I've been recently told that it's still around.

I wonder how the Spaniards & Portuguese keep from getting it. Raw cured ham a big time delicacy there I think.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Slum,

That's how we do it too. Love fried country ham.

We bake a boneless one a couple times of year too to put on the slicer for sandwiches/ biscuits

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Broadbent Farms in central Kentucky sells some of the best country ham I've had, since a neighbor in middle Tennessee in the town where I grew up passed on. He routinely won "Grand Champion Ham" at the Tennessee state fair in the 1960's and 70's. Broadbent's whole hams average around $10.00 a pound plus UPS shipping, $159.00 for a 15-17 pound ham, according to their website. If you buy a whole ham, you would need to have a local butcher cut it into approximately 1/4" thick slices with a band saw. Once sliced, vacuum pack the meat with a Food Saver and freeze it. Smoked, salt cured hams will keep for several months in a cool, dry environment without refrigeration. That's why hams and other cuts of meat were cured before the days of refrigeration. Whittle off a few slices, and wrap what's left in a piece of burlap or a flour sack. "Hog-killing time" was usually around the first frost of the year, and meat was salt cured and smoked so it would last over the winter. Washing the meat before cooking gets rid of the bone chips created by the butcher's band saw and removes a lot of the salt. I cook it in a cast iron skillet and use a saucepan lid to cover the meat with a few drops of water underneath to steam-tenderize it.

"Sugar cured ham" is a fairly recent invention, and spoils very quickly unless it's kept refrigerated constantly. A few generations ago that was simply not an option. Beef, venison, and buffalo jerky was another way of preserving meat in pre-refrigeration times.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For most folks, buying sliced is the way to go. Dealing with a whole cured ham that’s hard as a rock ain’t terribly easy.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

That looks amazing!

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 1Longbow, 63 invisible), 2,143 guests, and 1,135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,668
Posts18,493,711
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.