Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MOGC
Originally Posted by 257_X_50
Throw in Leo Gordon. ......one of the few who looked real when in a fight scene with Walker. Leo was a true Bad Ass at one time. Great person later on.

Shot by a cop while he was attempting an armed robbery. Went to prison and was a convicted felon. Bad azz... or dumb azz? Now this actor was a real deal bad azz...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_J._Ortiz

Dumb azzz......lol
But later in life a fine person.

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Leo Gordon didn’t play many good guys but in the movie the Tall Stranger with Joel McCray he did play a good guy. He was one of many good supporting actors of that era.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I think Arness would out draw him but I think Walker would whip him in a fight.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by Morewood
When Hoss met his match.

I liked gals like that.

about the 3:23 mark she looked like she was gettin wet under all them petticoats and bloomers.

Okay you made me look. Pretty funny when you review it. . Wonder how a director coaches something like that gentle stroking of the hitch and gleam in the eye. I am betting she wanted that part. I mean REALLY wanted that part.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
M
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M
I respect the heck out of both men but my money is on James Arness!

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Clint was bigger than “Big Bad John”…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rte
... PS: James Arness had a bum leg from a previous accident.

Slight correction. Jim Arness received his "bum leg" [and hip], from being shot by a German machine gun during the invasion of Anzio, WW II.

Speaking of Jim's role in The Thing, a humorous anecdote about that. Years ago, CBS was filming one of my Gunsmoke scripts in which I'd written a scene I was curious to see how the director and stage manager set it up. Gunsmoke was filmed at CBS Studio City. I called John Mantley, Exec. Producer and told him I'd like to see them film that scene. Mantley said, "Sure, I'll let you know when we're going to shoot it and I'll leave you a pass at the gate."

So on the day they were shooting it, I was on the Gunsmoke sound stage set. During a break when the lighting crew was setting up lights for the scene, I was over to the side, talking with Arness. During our conversation I mentioned to him that when I was a kid, he'd scared the living bejesus out of me. He said, "Really? How's that?"

I said, "Well, in the tiny Arkansas town in which I grew up there was one streetlight between the theater and my home. That day and night it had snowed and there were several inches of snow on the ground. I watched The Thing that night by myself. Walking home, plodding through the snow, I was scared you were going to jump out from behind a tree and eat me."

Jim laughed and then said, "That was my favorite role."I said, "You're kidding."

He said, "No. it was my favorite role because I did not have to learn any lines."

I got a laugh from that.

Anyway, long ago and far away.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Leanwolf,

Thanks for sharing.

I enjoy “old tv”.

Maybe the simplicity of it.

Recently saw a FB post of how several shows used the same locations.

Was it Andy Griffith and Hogans Heroes?

You never notice a German guard tower behind Gomers garage unless you looked for it….

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have watched these two my whole life, still do every day, the twenty years of Gunsmoke and I think I remember six years of Cheyenne, James throwing punches was with speed, power and intent, Clint always throws haymaker punches, always pulled his head back like afraid of being hit, not a killer like James. I always admired their acting, but the real stud was actor which was 6’6” also, was Chuck Connors, he could do anything James and Clint did, and was a pro baseball and basketball player, Chuck was a better actor to boot.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
Originally Posted by rte
... PS: James Arness had a bum leg from a previous accident.

Slight correction. Jim Arness received his "bum leg" [and hip], from being shot by a German machine gun during the invasion of Anzio, WW II.

Speaking of Jim's role in The Thing, a humorous anecdote about that. Years ago, CBS was filming one of my Gunsmoke scripts in which I'd written a scene I was curious to see how the director and stage manager set it up. Gunsmoke was filmed at CBS Studio City. I called John Mantley, Exec. Producer and told him I'd like to see them film that scene. Mantley said, "Sure, I'll let you know when we're going to shoot it and I'll leave you a pass at the gate."

So on the day they were shooting it, I was on the Gunsmoke sound stage set. During a break when the lighting crew was setting up lights for the scene, I was over to the side, talking with Arness. During our conversation I mentioned to him that when I was a kid, he'd scared the living bejesus out of me. He said, "Really? How's that?"

I said, "Well, in the tiny Arkansas town in which I grew up there was one streetlight between the theater and my home. That day and night it had snowed and there were several inches of snow on the ground. I watched The Thing that night by myself. Walking home, plodding through the snow, I was scared you were going to jump out from behind a tree and eat me."

Jim laughed and then said, "That was my favorite role."I said, "You're kidding."

He said, "No. it was my favorite role because I did not have to learn any lines."

I got a laugh from that.

Anyway, long ago and far away.

L.W.
Cool story.

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Leanwolf,

Thanks for sharing.

I enjoy “old tv”.

Maybe the simplicity of it.

Recently saw a FB post of how several shows used the same locations.

Was it Andy Griffith and Hogans Heroes?

You never notice a German guard tower behind Gomers garage unless you looked for it….
The fake town of Mayberry (a movie making construction) was used in a couple of Star Trek episodes. You can even see Floyd's Barber Shop, sign and all, in one of them.

[Linked Image from metvcdn.metv.com]

The above was from the episode titled The City on the Edge of Forever. The other episode where Mayberry was used was Miri.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[quote]
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
" ... The fake town of Mayberry (a movie making construction) was used in a couple of Star Trek episodes. ..."

Star Trek, Andy Griffith's show, Hogan's Heroes, Mission Impossible (the original series) were all filmed at Desilu Studio, as were others. Desilu Studio was the old Republic Studio. Lucille Ball and Desi Arnez bought Republic Studio for six or seven million $$$$. I was on that lot many times. Used to see the various actors in those shows walking on the lot quite often.

About 25/26 years ago, Paramount Pictures, which is directly next to Desilu Studio, bought Desilu for major $$$$$.

FWIW.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rte
Clint Walker was never an amateur bodybuilder.He did pump iron all of his life and was a bouncer at one time.

He was doorman at a Las Vegas hotel when he was discovered.

He was close to 91 when he died.

PS: James Arness had a bum leg from a previous accident.
i think it was a wound from WW-2

NRA Life Member
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I liked both of them. Clint was a bruiser of a fellow but gentle and kind. To get an idea of James Arness' size catch a scene where he's riding bareback and look at the length of his legs. They almost drag the ground. Sometimes it's hard to get an idea of just how big a person is on camera unless you can compare him to something that you know the size of. Actually love all those actors. It was a great time in filmography. Thanks for all the great posts especially the guys that knew them.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
James Arness was shot by a sniper at Anzio, the sniper shot several members of his platoon and hit him in the left foot. He lost the front half of his left foot due to the wound. If you watch Gunsmoke episodes close you see his limp and difficulty he had mounting a horse at times. Buck, his buckskin, was the only horse he wanted to use in films and he hated to ride horses because of his foot. The idiot producer had him walk up hill to boot hill in the opening of the original episodes.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Arness would’ve mopped tha floor with Clint

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by earlybrd
Arness would’ve mopped tha floor with Clint
I don't know. Leo Gordon was no match for him.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
But then Chuck Connors wasn't man enough to defeat James Arness.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Hawkeye, that was great, James had him by 25#, but about same size, never saw that one I guess, a lot of strong men in the war era.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Leo Gordon usually played the huge tough guy roles, but was dwarfed by Clint Walker.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (12344mag, 1234, 10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 57 invisible), 2,838 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,798
Posts18,477,446
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.