Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
A
acy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
They've been tough to get for the past couple of years. I bet the food shortages we're seeing now are going to cause even more people to try gardening and canning. Lids are going to be almost impossible to get this summer if you don't have enough.

We have always tried to keep a couple of years ahead on canning supplies. We've got upwards of a couple hundred dozen on hand, and we've started keeping the used lids when we open jars. I canned a jar of water last year with a once used lid. It sealed nicely and stayed sealed until I opened it a month or so ago. I hope things don't get bad enough that I have to resort to using them, but I think they will work.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know a fella that has a truckload. Might have to see if he’ll mail me some.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
acy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Trade him some beans...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by acy
Trade him some beans...

He has more than me of them too. Lol

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by acy
They've been tough to get for the past couple of years. I bet the food shortages we're seeing now are going to cause even more people to try gardening and canning. Lids are going to be almost impossible to get this summer if you don't have enough.

We have always tried to keep a couple of years ahead on canning supplies. We've got upwards of a couple hundred dozen on hand, and we've started keeping the used lids when we open jars. I canned a jar of water last year with a once used lid. It sealed nicely and stayed sealed until I opened it a month or so ago. I hope things don't get bad enough that I have to resort to using them, but I think they will work.

I would be comfortable reusing the lids for something like salsa and storing it in a fridge.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Laid in a supply last Spring.

Carpe' Scrotum
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
We bought some Chinese ones off Amazon last year and they seem to have worked ok. I would rather buy American but lids have disappeared out of the stores around here.

A
acy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by acy

I would be comfortable reusing the lids for something like salsa and storing it in a fridge.

I think when we get to canning next summer, I'll do a couple of samples of a few different things. Salsa, stewed tomatoes, green beans, carrots, apple sauce, beets and dill pickles are done every year. Open up a jar of each after one year, and then at two years. See if the seal releases right, contents look and smell right. If so, I'd try a portion and see what happens. Haven't died from covid yet, so I might survive that.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I bought some the other day, will buy somemore shortly. Don't wait till you need them to buy.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
IC B3

A
acy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by pullit
I bought some the other day, will buy somemore shortly. Don't wait till you need them to buy.

Amazing that we have to operate that way in this country. And sad. I never would have believed it a few years ago, before the ammo shortages started.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Lets see…..somebody will call you bad names if you have over 3 packages in your cabinet.

Then theres the old…..”it because of people like you that prices are so high”……BS

When you see them, buy them. Don’t wait. Screw the guy that didn’t think ahead.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

How are those Golden Harvest lids? Supposed to be by the same company that makes Ball/Kerr.

Carpe' Scrotum
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
We bought some online last summer.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Steve
How are those Golden Harvest lids? Supposed to be by the same company that makes Ball/Kerr.

I’ve never had any problems using them. Have a few boxes in my stash.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by acy

I've reused canning lids (we call them domes) for several canning seasons. if you take care of them and keep the rubber part from getting damaged and keep the white part from getting scratched to the metal, you should be good for several canning years. there's no reason unless they get damaged to trash them after 1 use. My daddy taught me to shake the sugar bag until there ain't no more sugar rattling in the seam of the bag. He was dang sure gonna take care of canning lids for re-use.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Steve

Never had any issues with them.

Anytime I’ve ever had any problems with any of em, it was always a small chip or nick in the rim of the jar.

A
acy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by strikeu
Originally Posted by acy

I've reused canning lids (we call them domes) for several canning seasons. if you take care of them and keep the rubber part from getting damaged and keep the white part from getting scratched to the metal, you should be good for several canning years. there's no reason unless they get damaged to trash them after 1 use. My daddy taught me to shake the sugar bag until there ain't no more sugar rattling in the seam of the bag. He was dang sure gonna take care of canning lids for re-use.

Good to know that someone has already been reusing lids/domes successfully.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
How are you guys opening the jars so that the lids are reusable? Ours seem to bend when we open the jar. I have been finding them at the Amish stores, buy them in a sleeve of 24 dozen.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

WTT pecans for canning lids...

PM for the best deal.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

705 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1eyedmule, 160user, 10Glocks, 68 invisible), 3,245 guests, and 1,350 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,104
Posts18,483,243
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.