Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#16847463 01/16/22
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
People sure must be eating a lot of milk sandwiches, I tell you whut.

Last edited by ridgerunner_ky; 01/16/22.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A shopkeeper once told me that “if they’re forecasting two inches of snow, the milk, bread and eggs almost literally fly out the door “!
I’ve occasionally had to go shopping a day before a snowstorm. I don’t think he exaggerated a single bit.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
A shopkeeper once told me that “if they’re forecasting two inches of snow, the milk, bread and eggs almost literally fly out the door “!
I’ve occasionally had to go shopping a day before a snowstorm. I don’t think he exaggerated a single bit.
7mm

That's interesting. Why not more important staples like beer and hard liquor?

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by AZmark
7mm

Different store.

W
WTF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
2 phuqqing inches ? That's all ? And the stores are out of chit cause they think they're gonna get snowed in for weeks ?
Try 8" - 12" several times a winter, -10 to -20 after the front passes, no school closures, the stores have plenty of chit, and nobody freaks out.

Last edited by WTF; 01/16/22.
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
7mm

People stay stocked on the important items.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by WTF
2 phuqqing inches ? That's all ?

Remember snowmaggeddon 2014 in Hotlanta?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gregintenn
7mm

Different store.

Not in "Free States" ??? grin

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
W
WTF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Barney_Fife
Originally Posted by WTF

Ummm....no

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
7mm

Price point. Nothing more.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by WTF
2 phuqqing inches ? That's all ? And the stores are out of chit cause they think they're gonna get snowed in for weeks ?
Try 8" - 12" several times a winter, -10 to -20 after the front passes, no school closures, the stores have plenty of chit, and nobody freaks out.
In a city with hills, no snow tires, and a million drivers who've never driven in snow, you're better off to stay home and stay out of their way. I have a son in Seattle who can tell you all kinds of stories about their drivers in snow.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Barney_Fife
Originally Posted by WTF

Yes, However that was predominantly ice on untreated roadways.

Not a foot of the powdery white stuff Out West speaks of.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you show up in a grocery store anytime between the announcement of a possible snow event and it actually happening (if it does), you can be sure that there will be some shipdit there who will make some remark about you stocking up for the storm.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
It's a southern snow thing.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In some areas they dont have ways of dealing with the snow and ice as its a rare event. Very rare. That said I have learned it is best to stay put a few days as in such places where these rare events occur it warms up in a day or so and everything melts. You don't need two weeks worth of supplies because the snow aint gonna be there that long.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
A big problem with plowing snow in a city isn't getting it plowed. It's getting rid of it. They quickly run out of places to put it.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
An ice storm in 1987 in south Tennessee left us without electricity for over 2 weeks. Temps were at zero or below, and power lines were down for miles. A wood stove for heat and a couple of freezers full of food made things tolerable, if a little inconvenient at times. Reconstituted powdered milk and fried cornbread cakes solved the "milk and bread" issue. Keeping stuff frozen without power was NOT a problem- - - - -just set it somewhere outside where the coyotes and other vermin couldn't get to it!

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Unlike the great white Yankee north or awesome white west. Where you all get snow. Youre brining and pretreatments help some. Or seawater, etc.

Here in the mid and deeper south, most snow events almost ALWAYS begin as rain. So all that brine and chit gets negates. That or if an arctic air mass slides in first and we get warm Gulf of Mexico rain brought up and over in the atmosphere overriding the denser cold air mass.

No one ever thinks about that. Just quick to add their 2 cents via piehole.

I’ve seen ice, glaze and sleet hit northeaster cites and the news show dozens of cars tits up at the bottom of hills and other dumb asses that keep coming on and adding to the piles.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
An ice storm in 1987 in south Tennessee left us without electricity for over 2 weeks. Temps were at zero or below, and power lines were down for miles. A wood stove for heat and a couple of freezers full of food made things tolerable, if a little inconvenient at times. Reconstituted powdered milk and fried cornbread cakes solved the "milk and bread" issue. Keeping stuff frozen without power was NOT a problem- - - - -just set it somewhere outside where the coyotes and other vermin couldn't get to it!

Farm Bureau cut me a check for $500 for the 1994 ice storm and power outage we had for about 10 days. I was only 23 years old so I only lost a couple of deer in the outage.

That one storm set a lot of future forward thinking for preparedness. It would still sting if we lost power like that for week to 10 days.

But hey at least we dont have rolling blackouts, commie governors, massive forest fires, like they do in the AWESOME WEST

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 1234, 16gage, 53 invisible), 2,446 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,405
Posts18,470,186
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.