Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Is the left conspiring to make sure we can't can food? They seem to hate anything that allows independence.

Bb

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Originally Posted by slumlord
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

WTT pecans for canning lids...

PM for the best deal.

I got dibs.

Run along now. Thems my lids.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I think the guys on Moonshiners are using them all up.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Boogan1
How are you guys opening the jars so that the lids are reusable? Ours seem to bend when we open the jar. I have been finding them at the Amish stores, buy them in a sleeve of 24 dozen.

Use your hand, not a tool.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
A
acy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Originally Posted by Boogan1
How are you guys opening the jars so that the lids are reusable? Ours seem to bend when we open the jar. I have been finding them at the Amish stores, buy them in a sleeve of 24 dozen.

Use your hand, not a tool.

This. My fingernails are pretty short. Index, middle and ring fingers. Place last joint of fingers on jar with nails touching the jar and bottom of the lid. Lift steadily and the lid will usually pop loose. I wish I knew how to post pictures. I made it sound more complicated than it is. If it just doesn't pop loose, then I carefully work a church key around the edge without too much pressure in any one place. Usually won't damage the lid.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I have been seeing canning lids in the stores lately. Just canned some pheasant soup tonight. Got 5 quarts plus enough for dinner and lunch tomorrow out of 6 birds.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Try the Tattler reusable jar lids. They cost more but I have some that I've been using for 5 or 6 years and they're still in great shape. You have to follow the direction carefully as they're a bit different than the 1-use type but they work great. Hint - don't wait until August to order them.
TATTLER LIDS

You can also get bulk metal ones from Amazon much cheaper than the name brand one. If course they're made in China and they're thinner but they work just as well as Ball or Kerr.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by acy
They've been tough to get for the past couple of years. I bet the food shortages we're seeing now are going to cause even more people to try gardening and canning. Lids are going to be almost impossible to get this summer if you don't have enough.

We have always tried to keep a couple of years ahead on canning supplies. We've got upwards of a couple hundred dozen on hand, and we've started keeping the used lids when we open jars. I canned a jar of water last year with a once used lid. It sealed nicely and stayed sealed until I opened it a month or so ago. I hope things don't get bad enough that I have to resort to using them, but I think they will work.

Because of the lid shortage I tried to get my wife to keep every lid that was not bent. NOPE. It's unsafe she says. Good luck finding them this year wifey.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kwg020
Originally Posted by acy
They've been tough to get for the past couple of years. I bet the food shortages we're seeing now are going to cause even more people to try gardening and canning. Lids are going to be almost impossible to get this summer if you don't have enough.

We have always tried to keep a couple of years ahead on canning supplies. We've got upwards of a couple hundred dozen on hand, and we've started keeping the used lids when we open jars. I canned a jar of water last year with a once used lid. It sealed nicely and stayed sealed until I opened it a month or so ago. I hope things don't get bad enough that I have to resort to using them, but I think they will work.

Because of the lid shortage I tried to get my wife to keep every lid that was not bent. NOPE. It's unsafe she says. Good luck finding them this year wifey.

kwg
Lots of people think that reused lids aren't safe. If it'll seal, it's sterile inside.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Try the Tattler reusable jar lids. They cost more but I have some that I've been using for 5 or 6 years and they're still in great shape. You have to follow the direction carefully as they're a bit different than the 1-use type but they work great. Hint - don't wait until August to order them.
TATTLER LIDS

You can also get bulk metal ones from Amazon much cheaper than the name brand one. If course they're made in China and they're thinner but they work just as well as Ball or Kerr.

And if you only expect a years use they will be fine, but we have food that's 3,4,5 years old, and the Chinese lids will rust through.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I’ve got 10 year old tomatoes right now. Came across some 1998 green beans couple years ago. Still good. 😃

I would not use a ‘re-used’ for those.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Lids are the new cripto. grin

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tpcollins
I think the guys on Moonshiners are using them all up.

Jar of shine is more valuable than a quart of Grandma's green beans when the SHTF.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I’ve got 10 year old tomatoes right now. Came across some 1998 green beans couple years ago. Still good. 😃

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Tossed some early 80s stuff at the farm last year.

I didn't even stick around to catch the aroma when they broke in the dumpster.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Travesty !!!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We got beans in glass Miracle Whip jars, a wide mouth band.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Maybe a dozen jars.

Still some lids in boxes but I wonder how the rubber would be on them.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A

We still can tomatoes in Bob White syrup jars from the 70s. They took a regular lid and band.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by auk1124

We still can tomatoes in Bob White syrup jars from the 70s. They took a regular lid and band.

I scored a shed full of molasses jars from and old woman’s estate sale. They run about 42 ounce. Take a standard lid.

Some even have a steel bail handle still attached.

Least i think theyre molasses jars.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

516 members (1minute, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 69 invisible), 2,438 guests, and 1,122 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,701
Posts18,513,801
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.