Print Thread
Hop To
Page 38 of 45 1 2 36 37 38 39 40 44 45
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TF49
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
How many are going to miss out on heaven because of their misunderstanding of what the requirements were. Can't help bad luck I suppose.

Well , I peeked while getting ready to leave and could not resist a comment…..

The answer is zero…. None…..

People end up condemned…. hell, if you want to look at it that way….. because they choose to reject God. (lifted) They harden their hearts, don’t want to hear about Jesus, and ignore all the ways God tries to reach them throughout their lifetime.

In Matthew 13:15, Jesus said, “For the hearts of these people are hardened, and their ears cannot hear, and they have closed their eyes.”

btw....for those who are interested in "hell'" see.....Matthew 10:28 and consider what it does and does not say.

Now, I am gonna go.... late....

Choosing to reject? The existence of a God or gods has yet to be proven.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Christians and Muslims, and whoever else believes in heaven, will be sharing the same heaven? I can't see that working out too well. There was even a time when Christians were killing other Christians.
All religions share the same level of evidence ie zero.
I can see Christians and Muslims sharing the same heaven. And Hindus, Zoroastrians, Buddhists. Lots of people the world over will make it. Unless there is reincarnation there were billions of humans that never got know there was a Jewish religion or a Jesus.

As a question to our believers here. Do you think Nebuchadnezzar who acknowledged the God of Israel or the Zoroastrian wise men that made the journey to see Jesus will be denied heaven? They were neither Jewish nor Christian. What about Cyrus II who sent the Jews back to Jerusalem?

Chew on that for awhile. More examples to come.

Last edited by Hastings; 01/17/22. Reason: inserted a few more words

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What would a mind capable of creating a universe be like?

Would such a Being fret over what the little creatures think or believe?

Would such a Being damn some to hell simply because they weren't convinced in the correct dogma?

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Hastings
Christians and Muslims, and whoever else believes in heaven, will be sharing the same heaven? I can't see that working out too well. There was even a time when Christians were killing other Christians.
I can see Christians and Muslims sharing the same heaven. And Hindus, Zoroastrians, Buddhists. Lots of people the world over will make it. Unless there is reincarnation there were billions of humans that never got know there was a Jewish religion or a Jesus.

As a question to our believers here. Do you think Nebuchadnezzar who acknowledged the God of Israel or the Zoroastrian wise men that made the journey to see Jesus will be denied heaven? They were neither Jewish nor Christian. What about Cyrus II who sent the Jews back to Jerusalem?

Hastings, I think your above reply applies more to tf49 than Mauser. Tf's daming people to hell for not believing in Jesus, Mauser see no evidence for heaven or hell, hence no trips to what he sees as that non existent place.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Hastings, I think your above reply applies more to tf49 than Mauser. Tf's daming people to hell for not believing in Jesus, Mauser see no evidence for heaven or hell, hence no trips to what he sees as that non existent place.
A/S: I actually was replying to TF49 as was Mauser. Mauser and I differ on the existence of the supernatural creator but these exclusionary "Christians" don't seem very Christian. But who am I to judge? I was just trying to get them to thinking. There is a very long list of not particularly religious people or at least not fundamentalist Jew or Christian that did the right thing when the chips were down. Maybe Oskar Schindler a Catholic who didn't attend church vs. the WW2 Pope who could have started excommunicating fascists but basically did nothing.

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

A/S: I actually was replying to TF49 as was Mauser. Mauser and I differ on the existence of the supernatural creator but these exclusionary "Christians" don't seem very Christian. But who am I to judge? I was just trying to get them to thinking. There is a very long list of not particularly religious people or at least not fundamentalist Jew or Christian that did the right thing when the chips were down. Maybe Oskar Schindler a Catholic who didn't attend church vs. the WW2 Pope who could have started excommunicating fascists but basically did nothing.

In addition to the lack of proof and evidence, there's a lot of "loose ends" and contradictions in the publications of various relgions, and they largely go ignored, or are constructively excused by their believers. Pity that a god was incapable of writing those things himself.

Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by DBT

Would such a Being damn some to hell simply because they weren't convinced in the correct dogma?

According to the bible didn't the earth take longer to complete that the rest of the universe? The stars were a snap and were done in a day I thought.

Well?
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by DBT
How many are going to miss out on heaven because of their misunderstanding of what the requirements were. Can't help bad luck I suppose.

Well , I peeked while getting ready to leave and could not resist a comment…..

The answer is zero…. None…..

People end up condemned…. hell, if you want to look at it that way….. because they choose to reject God. (lifted) They harden their hearts, don’t want to hear about Jesus, and ignore all the ways God tries to reach them throughout their lifetime.

In Matthew 13:15, Jesus said, “For the hearts of these people are hardened, and their ears cannot hear, and they have closed their eyes.”

btw....for those who are interested in "hell'" see.....Matthew 10:28 and consider what it does and does not say.

Now, I am gonna go.... late....

Choosing to reject? The existence of a God or gods has yet to be proven.

Well, I’ll try to get a threefer here…..

For AS….. no, TF is not damning anyone to hell, you just don’t like to hear anything that you consider threatening to your hard held beliefs…. You must have been quite offended…. Your dog barks way too loud.

For DBT and M9….. please note that it is God that will be the judge…not me…and I would expect that your protestations that “but there was no evidence of you, God” will simply swept away if/when God shows you the truth.

But…. I would not be surprised that God has some regard for folks that have strong opinions about God. I expect He has His eye on you and that is a very good thing.

The apostle Paul was a persecutor until God paid him a visit. Jesus did not have much good to say about the lukewarm Laodiceans… seems He preferred them to be either hot or cold. He can deal with cold just fine.

Last edited by TF49; 01/17/22. Reason: Spel

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT

According to the bible didn't the earth take longer to complete that the rest of the universe? The stars were a snap and were done in a day I thought.

Yes, the stars were the little lights situated above the dome of the sky.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
For DBT and M9….. please note that it is God that will be the judge…not me…and I would expect that your protestations that “but there was no evidence of you, God” will simply swept away if/when God shows you the truth.

There's no evidence to support your premise, so iit doesn't mean anything.

Well?
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Anybody know how long it took to put the Old Testament together???
What about the New Testament???
Back in the day, with no radio, tv, books etc. can anybody tell me how they entertained themselves????
Stories told around the fire….. With wine….. it was a miracle…

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

There's no evidence to support your premise, so iit doesn't mean anything.

Ok, glad you are not bothered by anything I might say. Some folks here show up and get involved with some discussion about God or Jesus or the Bible and then get upset when they hear answers, opinions or viewpoints that they don’t agree with.

They remind me a bit of those “social justice warriors” that go around getting triggered …..then protesting, criticizing and demeaning what other folks believe.

We should refrain from that.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Ok, glad you are not bothered by anything I might say.

Can't assume that - you might say something that bothers me. I meant that your belief means nothing to me unless it's proven to be true. If you're judging me by your unproven belief system, then that might warrant bother.

Some of "God's" instructions in the bible are immoral and unethical - that bothers me. It's not a good book to literally lead your life by.

Well?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It’s a fact that many people nowadays do not consider the Bible to be authoritative. So when people come at em’ with the assumption that it is, it’s gonna be a no-go. Without changing what one believes, it is possible to change how one communicates.

There was once a version of Christianity that was rooted in an event, not the multiple records of the event. The multiple records of the resurrection followed the event of the resurrection by years. And the faith of Christianity grew like wildfire before the Bible…as we know it…ever even existed. And stating that fact doesn’t discount the Bible in any way.

And nowadays, scriptural authority just isn’t accepted by many in our culture. And to me, it makes sense to go back to what early Jesus followers did during the first three hundred years of the faith ~~ to point to the event that the entire faith is founded on. It’s all pointless without the resurrection.

I believe it to be a real event. I believe it to be the most defensible, and the most important event associated with Christianity. While we go back and forth about stuff like a 6 day creation, the God of the Old Testament versus the God of the New Testament, or even the Mosaic Law…ultimately, for me…I’m standing on the resurrection, because the entire faith of Christianity stands on that event.

I’m convinced that following Jesus…not following other ‘Christians’ and not following organized religion or anything that it entails…but simply following Jesus will make one’s life better and will make one better at life. Even if one doesn’t believe in His divinity.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by antlers
It’s a fact that many people nowadays do not consider the Bible to be authoritative. So when people come at em’ with the assumption that it is, it’s gonna be a no-go. Without changing what one believes, it is possible to change how one communicates.

There was once a version of Christianity that was rooted in an event, not the multiple records of the event. The multiple records of the resurrection followed the event of the resurrection by years. And the faith of Christianity grew like wildfire before the Bible…as we know it…ever even existed. And stating that fact doesn’t discount the Bible in any way.

And nowadays, scriptural authority just isn’t accepted by many in our culture. And to me, it makes sense to go back to what early Jesus followers did during the first three hundred years of the faith ~~ to point to the event that the entire faith is founded on. It’s all pointless without the resurrection.

I believe it to be a real event. I believe it to be the most defensible, and the most important event associated with Christianity. While we go back and forth about stuff like a 6 day creation, the God of the Old Testament versus the God of the New Testament, or even the Mosaic Law…ultimately, for me…I’m standing on the resurrection, because the entire faith of Christianity stands on that event.

I’m convinced that following Jesus…not following other ‘Christians’ and not following organized religion or anything that it entails…but simply following Jesus will make one’s life better and will make one better at life. Even if one doesn’t believe in His divinity.

Antlers,
You keep claiming there was this unified early Christianity, but I don't see the history supporting that claim. Early Christianity was very diverse with over 60 gospels that we know of, Dozens of "Books of Acts", and what we call Revelations was just one of dozens if not hundreds of such works. Early Christianity appears way to diverse to support you hypothesis of developing from eye witnesses of a single event. It seems it's more likely to have grown from multiple factions each trying to capitalize upon a adaptation a Jewish version of the Mystery Cults common in the area at the time.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
can anybody tell me how they entertained themselves????
Stories told around the fire….. With wine….. it was a miracle…

Well if you think about it families were a lot larger specially when you throw in the wine aspect.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Ok, glad you are not bothered by anything I might say.

Can't assume that - you might say something that bothers me. I meant that your belief means nothing to me unless it's proven to be true. If you're judging me by your unproven belief system, then that might warrant bother.

Some of "God's" instructions in the bible are immoral and unethical - that bothers me. It's not a good book to literally lead your life by.

Interesting reply….ok…..

You express your view that my belief system means nothing to you because it is not proven to be true. My view is that my belief system is undoubtedly true…..God provides that witness and proof to me as He abides within me. John 14:20 “….. you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me and I am in you.”

You have repeatedly stated that there is no evidence to “support your premise” about the existence of God. I would say that the evidence for the existence of Yahweh is all around us and one only has to “look around” and see the evidence of God’s existence. Further, one only has to look around and see the sin of this world.

Putting these two points together, I see conclusive evidence and I have my proof.

You do not see evidence nor have proof…… I’m ok with that, but also, you can expect me to disagree with those that claim there is no evidence and there is no proof.

Lastly, I am in total disagreement with you that the Bible is not a good book to live your life by. It is my assessment that many here do not understand the concept of dispensations nor do they understand the New Covenant. Many here will pull from the OT to discredit God’s actions and His love….. I view this as simply making an excuse to “justify their uncomfortableness” with God.

I don’t see many folks criticizing the biblical teachings of Jesus. It seems that even the existence of the historical Jesus is totally swept aside in order to divert from discusssion of His teachings.

Anyway….. carry on…..

Btw…. Jesus does indeed love you and His hand is extended toward you….

John 6:37 “…… whoever comes to me I will never drive away.”

Matthew 7:7 “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.”

Ask….Seek…..Knock

My advice is to be an “honest seeker.”

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

There's no evidence to support your premise, so it doesn't mean anything.
Time will tell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Antlers,
You keep claiming there was this unified early Christianity, but I don't see the history supporting that claim. Early Christianity was very diverse with over 60 gospels that we know of, Dozens of "Books of Acts", and what we call Revelations was just one of dozens if not hundreds of such works. Early Christianity appears way to diverse to support you hypothesis of developing from eye witnesses of a single event. It seems it's more likely to have grown from multiple factions each trying to capitalize upon a adaptation a Jewish version of the Mystery Cults common in the area at the time.
I disagree. Wholeheartedly. Early core Christianity wasn’t “very diverse” at all. Those who were closest to the actual event all made it crystal clear. It absolutely and unequivocally developed from a single core event, and the eyewitnesses of that core event. When He did rise from the dead, that was the start of it all. This very small band that some referred to as a sect or even a cult, who were living in the [bleep] of the whole Roman Empire, and who were squashed between that Empire and the Jewish Temple, whose leader had been crucified after being rejected by His own people…not only survived but thrived in light of tremendous resistance. And it was eventually embraced by the very Empire that had tried to eradicate it. And the Jewish Temple who were actually the first ones to persecute Jesus and His followers was obliterated out of existence, as was Ancient Judaism.

Karen Armstrong is an author who is no friend to evangelical Christianity. She wrote a book called ‘Fields of Blood: Religion and the History of Violence’. She said, “Yet against all odds, by the third century, Christianity had become a force to be reckoned with. We still do not really understand how this came about.”

Whether one’s a historian, or an anthropologist, or a skeptic or even an atheist with an agenda...it’s hard to explain. But something certainly did happen in the 1st century that caused the core faith of Christianity to spread like wildfire. I’m good accepting the multiple, separate, and independent core accounts of those closest to the actual core event. People like Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, James (the brother of Jesus), Peter, and Paul, all give ample testimony for why Jesus’ core movement overcame both the religious and the political power structures that had tried to destroy it...!

Between the Jewish Temple and the Roman Empire it’d seem that this small sect or cult should’ve been squashed and buried alongside Jesus. But nope...! Nowadays, some of the 2.5 billion Christians worldwide are takin’ pics of the ruins of the Jewish Temple Mount and others are takin’ pics of the ruins of the Forum in Rome.

It’s more than fine with me if others choose to see things differently.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

There's no evidence to support your premise, so it doesn't mean anything.
Time will tell

Two thousand years and Christians are still waiting.

Page 38 of 45 1 2 36 37 38 39 40 44 45

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (1234, 160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 55 invisible), 2,424 guests, and 1,350 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,637
Posts18,474,408
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.