Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Gents: I've been working to try and get some video of my buffalo hunt from a couple of years ago, and I think I got it to work. The first link here is of a 50 plus herd in the thick bush. We had followed them for about three hours. Halfway through the clip, you'll see a nice buffalo with a big boss and deep,long horns, but I think you'll agree it was a bit green and we passed.

Shortly afterwards we had a good bead on a hard bossed bull, but the damned cows busted us and you'll see him cross the screen from left to right as the herd spooked. IF interest holds, I'll eventually post two more clips, the last showing the actual initial shot at the buff. I hope you enjoy it. jorge

green buff

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Jorge,

Great video clip. I'll look forward to seeing more. I can see the bulls you're talking about, I think. Looks like the right call on the younger, green bull. The hard bossed bull is only there for a fleeting second if I'm looking at the right one. Nice clip.
Test

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Nice clip. Show me more!

Steve

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Really cool. Thanks.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
This next clip does not do the situation justice, as it's tough to accurately depict distance & perspective. We were about 100 yards away, when a nice bull offered us a frontal shot, but towards the end of the clip when it zooms back in range, there was just too much brush in the way, but he was a good one. Also, take note of the wind direction. jorge

Far Away Bull

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Tell John he still needs a haircut...LOL

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Very nice videos.

I felt my pulse start to rise as I watched, trying to find a shooting lane, etc......

Please be kind and give us a few more.

thanks

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Can't get them to play for me, is it Windows Media?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
All I could get was the little red x in the corner. No clip.

Rolly
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
There might be a message come up about playing in activ-x. If so, click ok then give it a couple minutes. that is how it worked for me.

well worth the wait.

IC B3

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Gents, I'm "challenged" when it comes to these technical questions, but yes, they are Windows. Maybe try going direct to the website: http://www.lavikinga.com/jorge/index.html and try it from there. I'll post the last one tomorrow. jorge

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Still didn't work, oh well. There are some sites where I can't get anything, life's a bitch.

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I'll see what I can do to simplify...jorge

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Gentlemen, I had the webmaster add additional instructions to the video page to see if it will open for those of you having issues. Basically it's an MPEG file and you need at least Windows 2000 or better and of course any MacInntosh will work also. jorge

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Gentlemen, here'e the "payoff" clip. We picked up the track of this 100 plus herd with some decent satellite bulls in the periphery. The video does not do the landscape justice. Anybody that thinks hunting buffalo's a "walk in the park" is sadly mistaken. We tracked these guys through hills, valleys, kopjes (yes they can climb those too!) and of course the thick jess.
We set up across a small deppression and first tried to pick one off as they came across a small clearing. Anyhow, you'll see how we finally made the approach and shot. Make sure you have your volume up so you can hear the PH/client interaction. If you look at the buffalo's shoulder, you can see the entry wound of the shot. I waited for this moment and planned for it like a mission and the training & practice paid off. The shot was exactly on centerline and exactly where my friend Allen advise me to shoot. "Break Bone" he said, and "he's yours." Man I love this stuff! jorge

The kill

[Linked Image]

Last edited by jorgeI; 09/20/07. Reason: content

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Very nice. I liked the shot of you just staring down the barrel as they marced by and JS calling out what they were. It was only a couple minutes, but must have seemed like hours.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
what rifle? Looked like a ruger from the back.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I never used the word rifle. BUT in any case, I love Rugers. Fine guns.

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Ruger RSM, one of the older ones, fined tuned by Mark Penrod. I used hand loaded Swift 400gr A Frames. jorge

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Jorge,
Great video! That's a really nice bull. The terrain was very similar to what we encountered in Tanzania.It's not exactly what most of the uninniciated usually picture.Hard to tell from video,what was the actual distance of the shot ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (1lesfox, 007FJ, 1badf350, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 1Longbow, 48 invisible), 2,237 guests, and 1,140 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,343
Posts18,506,168
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.