Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Tesla is not accurate on their web site. My brother's Tesla gets 5 miles of driving, for one hour of charging on 110. On the 220 volt, 40 amp charger that I wired up for him, he gets 23 miles of driving for one hour of charging. In ten hours on the 220 he gets a full recharge. Now those superchargers on the interstates are phenomenal, and charge at a rate of 310 miles in an hour.

Another bit of misinformation is maximum range. Supposedly my brother can go 300 miles. But that is if he charges the battery fully. If you always charge the battery all the way, long term it will damage the battery. Brother goes with a 80 per cent charge, and he can go about 220 miles on a charge.

That is still a very long time.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by rost495
[quote=JeffA]If your battery were stone cold dead, yes, 16 hours.

Super Chargers are pretty quick.

[Linked Image from pluglesspower.com]

Thirty mns to go 170 miles???? ROTF LMAO.. In TEN minutes I can fill my truck and go nearly 600 miles... Geeez...

Last edited by Redneck; 01/16/22.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
The long charging time makes the Tesla unfit for trips over 180 miles.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Whiptail
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Good grief.

Spend 20,000 to save 5000 in gas...

Those are the direct costs. The indirect costs are wars in the middle east, enriching people who hate us, and environmental damage(more controversial). I bet most of Europe is regretting being dependent on Russia for gas and oil right now.

At the very least it will be an interesting and entertaining project. New technologies don't always payoff instantly.

yet if the admin and govt didn't hate fossil fuel one could produce here, as we were under Trump, and be better off all along. Prices down. 3rd world begging to sell to us, win win all around. Disregard there is almost 500 years of fossil fuels left here in the USA and in that 500 years no telling how much more the earth will regenerate as time passes.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Good grief.

True, not very practical for most of us. But if you live on the west coast and paying $5 a gallon it begins to sound like a better deal. Then factor in no oil/filter changes and reduced maintenance overall and it starts to sound better.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
As I have predicted several times in threads like this, the future of long distance electrics lies in "filling stations" where the battery is replaced by robots. It would resemble oil change places. You'd pull in and park over the robot, which would remove the battery from under your vehicle and replace it with a fully-charged one. You'd be billed for the difference in charge state ( a "half tank" of juice versus an empty, etc) and you'd be gone in a few minutes. To facilitate this, there'd be only two or three standardized battery sizes, and vehicles would be designed to facilitate the process. The exchanged ones would be charged at the station and stored for their next use.

You'd only plug in when at home or in town.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
But who controls the residential and commercial electricity rates?

Want to be subject to their whims and fancy?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
As I have predicted several times in threads like this, the future of long distance electrics lies in "filling stations" where the battery is replaced by robots. It would resemble oil change places. You'd pull in and park over the robot, which would remove the battery from under your vehicle and replace it with a fully-charged one. You'd be billed for the difference in charge state ( a "half tank" of juice versus an empty, etc) and you'd be gone in a few minutes. To facilitate this, there'd be only two or three standardized battery sizes, and vehicles would be designed to facilitate the process. The exchanged ones would be charged at the station and stored for their next use.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Dear Millenials, I gots me a 600 amp Lincoln welder powered by a Detroit diesel, should I buy an electric car since it looks like I got the charging problem under control?

Yahoo! Hook that 600 amp Lincoln up to your Tesla, rev up that screaming Jimmy Diesel, turn the amps up to max, and supercharge 170 miles in 15 minutes. Hell, let it run for 30 minutes and get 100% charge for 340 miles. Then let the smoke clear and be on your way.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by WTM45

OHHHHH, yahhh...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Now thats thinking. If or should say probably when it all becomes feasible and affordable.

But I don't think we can afford to subsidize even more

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Good grief.

True, not very practical for most of us. But if you live on the west coast and paying $5 a gallon it begins to sound like a better deal. Then factor in no oil/filter changes and reduced maintenance overall and it starts to sound better.

if you are worried about the cost of a filter and oil, then you better search pricing for EVs. Oil and filters are cheap. Easy to change. Unless I suppose you have to pay people to do it. I always forget that much of america does nothing much on their own anymore.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by JeffA

Thats fine in the video. Especially since they didn't have to put the credit card in and pay for the swap.

But I heard the other thing. ALWAYS and forever free charges at Tesla station. I doubt the heck out of that but it could be a partial selling point that got my attention.

Now if we get one capable of pulling weight with say a 400 mile range at an affordable price... of course our last 2 vehicles were under 30K used

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Charges at the Tesla superchargers are not free. But they are not very expensive. Lots cheaper than gasoline.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WTM45

This is the rub with me. Pretty much monopolies geographically speaking. Regulated but still not an open market. At least with the current distribution system.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Jell0s babe fills her car with juice.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by Whiptail
Good grief.

Those are the direct costs. The indirect costs are wars in the middle east, enriching people who hate us, and environmental damage(more controversial). I bet most of Europe is regretting being dependent on Russia for gas and oil right now.

At the very least it will be an interesting and entertaining project. New technologies don't always payoff instantly.

yet if the admin and govt didn't hate fossil fuel one could produce here, as we were under Trump, and be better off all along. Prices down. 3rd world begging to sell to us, win win all around. Disregard there is almost 500 years of fossil fuels left here in the USA and in that 500 years no telling how much more the earth will regenerate as time passes.

I don't see that Trump had a dramatic impact on oil prices excluding lockdowns.
[Linked Image from lh3.googleusercontent.com]

There's nothing wrong with having choices and different solutions. I'd agree that the government shouldn't be picking winners and losers as that is job of the free market.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

I can see at least one enormous problem with that theory. I'm not sure I want my high quality OEM battery replaced with a who-knows-where-it-came-from low-bid chinkapoo special every time I take a trip.

Another problem, while I'm at it. I was reading the other day that a root cause of many of the utility scale LiOn battery fires in Korea is degradation resulting from cycling those babies all the way between 0 and 100% charge daily. Even if they give you a quality made battery, you have no idea how it has been cycled until you come out of Starbucks to watch your car burn to the ground.

Constantly swapping out the most critical part of my $80K Tesla? No thank you.

Last edited by RufusG; 01/17/22.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gets a bit cold here sometimes doing a couple digits into the negative zone. Looking at Lithium batteries for our travel trailer and the pluses are extended and level power delivery and the number of cycles they can endure. Negative, and a big one for us is, will not take a charge below 32 degrees F. Sounds like we'd need a heated battery box from about mid Oct to mid-April here.

Technology will have to come a long way before I'd ever consider a battery powered rig. My real fear though is that municipal/urban politicians will mandate their use statewide and it's 130 miles one way to the nearest Walmart or McDonalds. I'm becoming more convinced each day that I've lived through the best of times.

1Minute
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Won’t increased EV usage lessen the demand for oil?

It should actually lower fuel prices...

Though it may cause coal usage, and therefor coal prices, to rise!

The irony.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1234, 12344mag, 59 invisible), 2,300 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,393
Posts18,488,781
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.