Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Jkob Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Copy of his ad:
For sale:
Pre 64 Model 70 varminter in 243. Wood and metal has not been refinished and is in great condition with some minor marks to wood. Finish is faded on the bolt knob and safety. Original rubber butt pad and swivels. Nothing cut or drilled. The only detraction is the crown was redone at one time. Good bore. Shoots 87 grain V-max's less than an inch.

$1050 Shipped to FFL

Well I bit the bullet and told him I would take it at a reduced price.
(1) Wood and metal not refinished? SHould have had a monte carlo stock; it had been removed and the stock refinished
(2) Original butt pad? I am not 100% but I don't think the varminters had a rubber pad
(3) Good bore? This thing looks like a bombed out road in Iraq; no throat for the first inch and a half.

I looked it over and decided I didn't want it. Went to his personal info, found an email address and sent him a note on the second day of the three day period. No response! After about a week, I did a reverse look-up on the address, got a phone number and called. When I explained I was to send it back and had informed him by email he says "I don't do emails, I only do PM's and I had sent you one saying the three day period was over" He calims he never got my email, I claim he never sent me a PM. Well, I decided to cut my losses at this point and asked for a refund of $40 because that is what it would have cost me to ship it back and he agreed.

On top of this and after closer inspection:
(1) The thing did not have an original extractor, It was a modified Enfield one.
(2) The follower was from a Remington 700
(3) The Bottom metal was not original pre-64 stuff

Be damn careful dealing with this guy, he is a charlatin

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
GB1

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Sorry to hear this, looks like the internet classifeds are going toi hell in a handbasket.

MO

You can't hit what you can't see.

The more people I meet the more I enjoy my dogs.

Life is like Missouri weather, you just don't know what's gonna happen next.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Sorry to hear about your troubles....
just to clarify one pointfor you.... The Pre 64 Model 70's varmit guns did not have rubber butt pads.... however your could special order one with a rubber butt plate if you wanted so there are some out there that are original..... most would of had medal or plastic depending on vintage....

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Sounds like out and out fraud to me and there ain't no way I'd take no for an answer in getting a refund!....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I sure hope this is an isolated incedent.....I have some $$ at stake, I bought the other rifle in the same ad. will post my results good, bad, or other when my 6.5-06 arrives. I know I would have a tough time describing a pre 64 to the more informed members, so perhaps it was simply not knowing what he had....I hope.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
JKOB, ask for and was given a three day inspection period and did not respond to any pm's as he removed him self from the topic. He did call on the fourth day and we spoke about it and came to an agreement. He then pm's me and asks to respond to him which I have with no responce back and then this. I told him I would work it out him but he refuses so I am out on this one to. Nothing more to discuss.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...iewmessage&message=95819&gonew=0

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds maybe to me he does not know rifles too well, and what was original and what not. Either way, if he did not convey an accurate description of the rifle, that's on him, not you. And you should get a refund.......

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I just compleyed a deal with Nathanial and had no problems. I'd do it again.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by thismortalcoil
I just compleyed a deal with Nathanial and had no problems. I'd do it again.

I believe I sold him a barrel a while back. Everything went fine, no problems. I don't believe that he purposely misrepresented the rifle. If he did though, whether accidentally or not, JKOB should not be obligated to buy it.........

Jkob Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
check that link; no private message received. Liar?

IC B3

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Originally Posted by Jkob

When I click the link, I get a forum error that the message is not there....I've seen it happen before.

And here are some quotes from the thread that the gun was listed in:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...umber/1627952/page/0/fpart/1#Post1609615

Originally Posted by nathanial
HC, The 6.5 weighs 11 lbs
Muygrande1, I think you are asking about the 243? The barrel is CM, steel bottom metal/TG and the stock is straight not a MC.

So, he did disclose that the stock was not a MC before you bought it.

And the original post:
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...umber/1627952/page/0/fpart/1#Post1605326

says that it had the "Original rubber butt pad and swivels."

You even quoted that in the first post of this thread! He said "RUBBER" in his ad!

...so, that was also disclosed before your purchase.

Last edited by matgyver; 09/19/07.
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N

Why not quit kicking sand and try and resolve the issue. Natanial posted so here and also received a positive comment from another poster so I'm sure this was a misunderstanding and not a "fraud". It's the guys that take a permanent powder that worry me.....

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
After about a week, I did a reverse look-up on the address, got a phone number and called.

Originally Posted by nathanial
He did call on the fourth day and we spoke about it and came to an agreement.

So....Jkob...did you call on day 4, or did you wait a week?

That goes to credibility.

Nathanial and you did make an agreement to refund some money for your troubles...then you come and toss him in front of a bus...

Why make an agreement for a partial refund, and then turn around and still bitch? This deal was done after you made the agreement for the $40 refund.

Maybe you should apologize for the public lashing, then delete your thread.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have dealt with Nathaniel in the past and have had no problem with him. 2 or 3 transactions actually - no problems.

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If the rifle was misrepresented, then he should not be obligated to buy it. I do feel it was, though NOT on purpose.......

If an agreement was in fact reached, to purchase for less, or whatever, I agree that this post is probably not warranted.......

It sounds to me like likean agreement was reached and now Jkob is unhappy of his decision.......

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Originally Posted by 2muchgun

It sounds to me like likean agreement was reached and now Jkob is unhappy of his decision.......

+1 ....Buyers remorse is not the sellers responsibility.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have dealt with Nathanial in the past and would willingly deal with him again. In fact, he sent the rather expensive barrel I purchased from him before he ever received my Money. It came in exactly as described. Truth be told he was out of town and went out of his way to have his daughter send me the barrel. I'd say he's a damned fine seller. Seems as though there was a similar incident with a Pre-64 action by another seller where JKOB annihilated the seller over a question on an action. I don't know what was or wasn't represented but if you agreed to take the $40.00 over the phone, you shouldn't be here calling the guy a liar and implying that he purposely cheated you when he clearly is trying to make it right. At some point if you are rude enough, I'd guess he'll probably stop trying to satisfy you.

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
OK... Nathanial (STILL) has an email in his profile but says he "doesn't do email" and says the three day inspection is over? What's up with that? That's nothing but a lame excuse and an attempt to cheat his own admitted time frame.

But then he (finally) agrees to refund $40 (plus the cost of the rifle?) and the buyer bitches about that and starts a rant thread?

This whole thing stinks to high heaven and I wouldn't deal with EITHER party.

By the way... You can't post a link to a private message thread unless the "linkee" is part of the thread. That's why it's called private... <DUH!!!>

$bob$

Many who have freedom have no idea where they got it....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I gotta admit right now: The more I hear a person cry about [bleep] in the classifieds, the LESS I care to deal with them. Not that nobody ever has a point, but it's gettin' old.......

Jkob Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I posted this thread to outline the deal and warn others, not to bitch about the deal. I am stuck with it and won't pursue it any farther. Buyers,,,beware.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (AKislander, 300_savage, 69sportfury, 17CalFan, Alan_C, 8 invisible), 1,553 guests, and 908 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,573
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.