Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
The wife wants a new RAV4 Hybrid, and looking at the websites, they seem to be a sturdy little SUV. Does anyone here have any real-world experience with them, and the mileages they quote? I have no problem with buying another Toyota (she's driving a 9 year old Camry right now), as it's been problem-free and just a wonderful vehicle so far.
As I understand it, the RAV4 is built on the Camry chassis, so while a bit more top-heavy, it should handle about the same.

My sister has really sold her on the Hybrid systems (they have three Prius cars), but since I'm more skeptical of the things, I'd rather hear from someone else, with or without my own prejudices, I just want the wife to have a safe, comfortable ride for the next few years.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
4Runner is the answer you seek. A Rav4 is ALMOST as much up front at the 4runner will hold value WAY better.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Unfortunately I don't. We'd have likely gotten the hybrid version in 2016, but with the battery location when we folded the rear seats down our dog crates wouldn't fit back there.

You may want to check clearance if you have any need like ours, but with your wife driving a Camry right now, I'm guessing that's a non-issue for you folks.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Both sisters drive them they're on their 2nd or 3rd Rav 4 hybrids (BIL and good friend flog Toyotas)
Excellent vehicles excellent resale buy with confidence.
As per the 4 runner, for sure if you want to go rock climbing or have a boat to tow get one for more money and twice the fuel. If it was my choice between the two I'd get a 4 runner, I'd get my wife the Rav. Which by coincidence, a Rav hybrid will be her next vehicle in a couple years.

Last edited by Salty303; 01/17/22.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
A lot of people seem to like them. My wife and I both found them to be uncomfortable with lackluster handling and ended up with a Mazda CX-5 which was much better in both regards to both of us.

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Great vehicles. Three of my friends bought one this year. Two were the plug-in hybrids. We looked at them, but my wife wanted a Hyundai Tuscon Hybrid instead and we have been pleased with that as well. I drive a Forester and IMO Subaru has the better AWD system but Toyota has a better hybrid system and more experience with them. I would have gotten the Toyota RAV 4 Prime plug-in, but it was her call.

WFR Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
My In-law's neighbor bought one last year and they have been happy with it's performance in the western NC mountains.
We just bought our 3rd Highlander and it's a Hybrid this time.
Hard to beat a 7-passenger vehicle that is quiet and comfortable averaging 34 mpg.
Edited to add that I have several friends that have Camry Hybrids and Lexus hybrids that have all given excellent service.
I think Toyota has the hybrid game down to a science.

Last edited by WFR; 01/17/22.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I looked at both... went with the 4 Runner. Made in Japan! Not sold on hybrids... but the Toyota is a good one if you must.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think these are great cars for women.

Anyone else (with testicles) not so much.

Sit in the driver's seat for an hour and you may find the sideways leg room a little lacking for proper "manspreading". Too cramped for my package.

God Bless America
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Huntaholic
4Runner is the answer you seek. A Rav4 is ALMOST as much up front at the 4runner will hold value WAY better.

We can't quite swing the price of a 4runner, it would be my choice as well, but she's comfortable with the size of the RAV4. I don't think they're as comfortable for ME as the Nissan Rogue, but she wants the RAV4, I have a pickup if we need to haul anything substantial, so the rear cargo space doesn't make any difference to her.
I like that it's on the Camry chassis, a size she's comfortable with. We probably WILL get AWD for her, because it makes me more comfortable while she's driving 25 miles one-way to work on Kentucky's highways, and we get some snow now and then.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
We have a 2021 XSE RAV4 Hybrid --- nice ride, solid feel, good on the higway and around town - best consistent milage is 39 US mpg.

Hugh
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Blackheart
A lot of people seem to like them. My wife and I both found them to be uncomfortable with lackluster handling and ended up with a Mazda CX-5 which was much better in both regards to both of us.

I hear a lot of good about the CX-5, but we don't have any Mazda dealers nearby, and the Toyota dealer is really excellent here. I have some Ameriprise accounts, and our contact there has two CX-5s, and they love them.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by HughW
We have a 2021 XSE RAV4 Hybrid --- nice ride, solid feel, good on the higway and around town - best consistent milage is 39 US mpg.

Thank you, that is very helpful, and exactly what she wanted to know.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by ratsmacker

I would add to this that our winters get quite white and this year lots of freezing rain. I debated getting a set of rims and true winter tires but chose to stay with the factory all season tires and see what they would do. I have not been disappointed and have gotten around very well. Mind you I am very used to winter driving and take my time with the black ice / freezing rain. Just points that the AWD and factory set up is good. We also have the technology package and it is a nice add.

Hugh
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Huntaholic

You need to look again. Base price on a 4RUNNER is $10,000 more than base price on a RAV4. (2021)

Maybe more importantly, a 4RUNNER is very thirsty compared to a RAV4.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Very helpful,indeed. That was on "her list" of things/packages that she really wanted, and this helps us decide.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Whatever you want, you're probably going to have to get on a list. Toyota of Lexington has exactly "one" new RAV4. (2021) It's in their showroom on display. It's a hybrid. I suppose they would sell it for enough money.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
We have a 2020 Highlander Hybrid for my wife and as our road trip car. It's comfortable and gets 36 mpg on the highway and not much less in town. All the get up and go you need, too. It's the Platinum level with all the bells and whistles and the large center display.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ratsmacker

I would add to this that our winters get quite white and this year lots of freezing rain. I debated getting a set of rims and true winter tires but chose to stay with the factory all season tires and see what they would do. I have not been disappointed and have gotten around very well. Mind you I am very used to winter driving and take my time with the black ice / freezing rain. Just points that the AWD and factory set up is good. We also have the technology package and it is a nice add.
About those tires - We have a Toyota Highlander which is mostly a little larger version of the Rav4. Last year we sprang for a set of studded snow tires and we're very glad we did. We've been on some really nasty roads and they work great. All seasons aren't snow tires. Tests have shown that they're no better than highway tires on slick roads. The problem is that the rubber is too hard and they don't grab the road. If you do much winter driving, snows are well worth the money. The problem is getting extra wheels. Highlanders come with either 18 or 19" wheels and ours has 19" so that's what the snows are. If I'd known that 19" wheels were so hard to find at a reasonable price, I'd have got 18's. 18's are much easier to find.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Whatever you want, you're probably going to have to get on a list. Toyota of Lexington has exactly "one" new RAV4. (2021) It's in their showroom on display. It's a hybrid. I suppose they would sell it for enough money.

I've been watching Swope Toyota's inventory lists, I've been checking them daily. I think I'm gonna pay cash and see if they will move a little quicker. They had four or five yesterday, but one was already spoken for, and it wasn't a Hybrid anyway, which is what she wants. We might as well order it, since we want certain things that we can't get on the plainer models. I think it's the XSE Hybrid AWD that she wants, and she's been spoiled by heated seats and eight-way adjustable driver's seats, etc. That means two options packages as well.

Ah well, my sister has gotten over 10 years worth of hard use of her Prius's without any maintenance issues at all. Maybe the savings from less fuel use will help pay for the added costs. Doubt it, but maybe over time....................

I think I'm gonna buy another Nissan Frontier soon, since they want to give me 5K more than KBB says it's worth. I'll have to see what they can get, but since we're only 3 hours from the assembly plant, I should be able to get exactly what I want.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

168 members (450yukon, 375sunrise, 17CalFan, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 22 invisible), 1,851 guests, and 1,063 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,502
Posts18,490,510
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.