Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Can anyone recommend a good guide service for Pdogs? It can be in Kansas, Oklahoma, Wyoming, SD, ND, etc. we have hunting in wood SD for a couple years and went to Wyoming last year. I’m sure I’ll catch some flack over using a guide, but we don’t have the time to drive out, ask permission, then try to shoot. We want to pull up, shoot three days and head home. Any info is much appreciated!

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Check the Res in Nebraska or SD?

B
B
give phil rutt a call at triple three outffitters .com in buffalo wy. he's arealley good guy.dave in wyo

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I’m thinking about a guided hunt too. I hate to do it but the last 20 years in several states everywhere I’ve shot the towns keep getting poisoned. Good luck on your search.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I went many years sans a guide. But have used one the past 10 or so years. It’s in Wy, and he’s booked full and stays that way.

NRA Patron
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm going to need one this summer too.

'Unfortunately

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Good plan.

Molon Labe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’ve got some good spots, after years of going West. Besides the location, try to time it when the pups are 1/2 sized. I’ve counted as many as 8 on one mound, before shooting.

Last June I stopped to help a disabled car on the rural highway. I ended up towing him 10 miles to his house. As luck would have it, he said he had a private dog town just over the hill. He said it was only for close friends, not shot that year. We checked it out, not massive but fine shooting. We spent about two hours there. We were on our way in when we happened upon his car.

The OnX Hunt app is great, as is zooming in on Google earth for scouting.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Bumping this up to see if anyone has any more recommendations.

I'm from Alabama and have never hunted prairie dogs.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Sent pm

NRA Patron
IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
pm sent.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
tag

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I know many look for a guided hunt as I've been in the same boat. However, I took a different approach last time we went out.

If you take some time and plan ahead, you can get all of the information needed for a guide-free hunt. On this link: https://www.fs.usda.gov/nebraska, there are links listed (towards bottom of page) for the office responsible for each National Grassland. If you contact them, they will tell you where the best dog towns are and provide you a packet of maps and other information.

We took this route a few years ago and had a good time. The better dog towns are off the beaten path. The towns around Ft. Pierre/Pierre were heavily used. A little planning prior goes a long way to saving time when you get out there.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by beginner
give phil rutt a call at triple three outffitters .com in buffalo wy. he's arealley good guy.dave in wyo

Been there about 4 years ago, will not go back. Daniel

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Anyone know of good size PD town in the western half of South Dakota? Plan to visit kin in the eastern part then PD hunt for 3-4 some where , Thanks Daniel

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by devnull
I know many look for a guided hunt as I've been in the same boat. However, I took a different approach last time we went out.

If you take some time and plan ahead, you can get all of the information needed for a guide-free hunt. On this link: https://www.fs.usda.gov/nebraska, there are links listed (towards bottom of page) for the office responsible for each National Grassland. If you contact them, they will tell you where the best dog towns are and provide you a packet of maps and other information.

We took this route a few years ago and had a good time. The better dog towns are off the beaten path. The towns around Ft. Pierre/Pierre were heavily used. A little planning prior goes a long way to saving time when you get out there.

Now this sounds like a good time. A little camping, a little exploring, a little shooting......

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by BamaCKC

Now this sounds like a good time. A little camping, a little exploring, a little shooting......

The ladies I spoke with at each of the Grassland offices were beyond super helpful. They told me where the good dog towns were, which ones had the plagues and which ones were shot over the most.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by BamaCKC

The ladies I spoke with at each of the Grassland offices were beyond super helpful. They told me where the good dog towns were, which ones had the plagues and which ones were shot over the most.

This is such good info. Because of your help, I'm beginning to think this is going to become a father/son camping and shooting trip.

Do you mind sharing your gear list for this type of hunt?

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
My list-
Several rifles and ammo per shooter, I take 6-8 but 2-4 is enough
Binocs
Bipods &/or shooting table, I like the swivel 360 degree bench
Front and rear sand bags to shoot off of bench or front adjustable rest
Gun cleaning equipment. I take enough guns that I rarely have to clean
Brass bucket, I toss all my brass in a three gallon bucket
Sun block
Insect repellent, PD towns have ticks,
Large brim hat for sun protection
Sunglasses
Hearing protection
Hunt license, if required
Light jacket, as it can be cool early morning

NRA Patron
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by dale06
My list-
Several rifles and ammo per shooter, I take 6-8 but 2-4 is enough
Binocs
Bipods &/or shooting table, I like the swivel 360 degree bench
Front and rear sand bags to shoot off of bench or front adjustable rest
Gun cleaning equipment. I take enough guns that I rarely have to clean
Brass bucket, I toss all my brass in a three gallon bucket
Sun block
Insect repellent, PD towns have ticks,
Large brim hat for sun protection
Sunglasses
Hearing protection
Hunt license, if required
Light jacket, as it can be cool early morning

Thanks for this. Do you treat your clothes with permethrin?
I didn't expect 6-8 rifles.

Last edited by BamaCKC; 02/13/22.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (12344mag, 1936M71, 007FJ, 2500HD, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 63 invisible), 2,252 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,670
Posts18,493,756
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.